BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #23
OneSickM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

You guys are making it hard for me to decide

Answers are like 50:50 so far but for most are saying to go with lower miles and add some stuff at the end the 09 will be more expensive if I went with this route. But it has some nice gadgets that one day I might end up doing for 2011 if I went with it..I don't know
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #24
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickM View Post
You guys are making it hard for me to decide

Answers are like 50:50 so far but for most are saying to go with lower miles and add some stuff at the end the 09 will be more expensive if I went with this route. But it has some nice gadgets that one day I might end up doing for 2011 if I went with it..I don't know
wht does the 2011 have that you want? have you driven either to see the actually change?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #25
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

What's the problem here? You said same price but one has 40k less miles? And is older so will hold value better due to miles per year. Buy the 09.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #26
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Quote:
Hi fellow members, I am looking for some opinions between two M3s I am planning to buy.

1# 2011 M3, fully loaded including comp pkg and moonroof. Miles: 72K but has 3rd party extended warranty for another 2 years. No mods. Bone stock. 1 owner well maintained.

2# 2009 M3, fully loaded no moonroof with mileage 32k (no comp pkg obviously). No extended warranty. FBO with BPM tune. 1 owner.

Which one would you buy and why considering both priced the same?
Neither. One too old for me and the other one has too many miles. Discard the option and go to square 1. Buy a 2010 with 45k miles!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #27
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Lower mile car.

Personally I'd start to think about selling a car once I was in 70,000 mile range. I know the car will run well beyond that, but by then everything is starting to wear out.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #28
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
What's the problem here? You said same price but one has 40k less miles? And is older so will hold value better due to miles per year. Buy the 09.
The 2011 car has a warranty so if anything goes bad, I am covered for at least 2 more years. However, my concern is mainly which one holds value more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
Lower mile car.

Personally I'd start to think about selling a car once I was in 70,000 mile range. I know the car will run well beyond that, but by then everything is starting to wear out.
The only reason I am considering the car at this mileage is because it still have 2 years more for extended warranty. If anything worn out, it will be covered.

I guess most of the opinions are in favor of option 2. I am not sure if the car being modded is something that give me some concerns. Owner told me he never tracked the car or abused it but he wanted to get every hp out of the car. It is mainly driven by adult in his 40's age.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #29
Properstyle
Major
Rep

Quote:
The 2011 car has a warranty so if anything goes bad, I am covered for at least 2 more years. However, my concern is mainly which one holds value more.

The only reason I am considering the car at this mileage is because it still have 2 years more for extended warranty. If anything worn out, it will be covered.

I guess most of the opinions are in favor of option 2. I am not sure if the car being modded is something that give me some concerns. Owner told me he never tracked the car or abused it but he wanted to get every hp out of the car. It is mainly driven by adult in his 40's age.
If you are worried about value you need to walk away from the 2011. it has to many miles already. Again if you want a warranty you are better off getting an after market one anyway. companies like mercury auto and assure auto I can personally vouhe for as AI have them on my wifes C63 and My e90m and have had no complains. wifes car is covered for another 3 years, ine another 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #30
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

IMO a 3rd party warranty is a gamble and money is better in the bank and these cars are very reliable. Truth be told, if you're this worried and looking at the 70k mile car and have to have a warranty maybe its not the car for you. It's still an $80k car to maintain.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #31
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:

Not just parts wear but wear and tear on the car in general. By 70k miles, car has been on the road twice as much as a car with 35k. Paint is going to show wear, scratches, stains, door dings, chips on bumper, underbody panels torn or scuffed. Interior too, leather, buttons, carpet showing more wear, more chance to be dirty/stained/have a smell. Chassis and interior squeaks and rattles, seal leaks, windshield chips and cracks. None of that stuff is going to be covered by warranty.

However the 72k mile car might be immaculate but chances are it's not. Likewise, low mile car could sit on a city street in the sun and acid rain everyday and be really rough but chances are it's not.

I drive an 09 that I bought with mileage in the 30s so I'm biased. Go check out each car in person and decide which, if either, is the right one for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #32
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
IMO a 3rd party warranty is a gamble and money is better in the bank and these cars are very reliable. Truth be told, if you're this worried and looking at the 70k mile car and have to have a warranty maybe its not the car for you. It's still an $80k car to maintain.
I have been lurking the forum for a while now and I have noticed most of your feedback towards other members has been negative most of the time but that's fine.

I know that this car is $80k and I am not worried about maintaining the car not sure why you took it that way. My question was If you had to choose one of these which one would you go with and why. That's it...simple eh?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #33
Properstyle
Major
Rep

Quote:
Both warranties I have are zero deductable and have are accepted at any certified bmw or benz repair shop, dealerhip included. I have used the warranty on the c63 for an actually wear item and it was covered as well as a navi update that should have been paid out of pocket. Anything covered in the factory warranty is covered. bill to the warrnty company was 2k, both front wheel bearings replaced, hubs replaced, navi updated, and antanne replaced. I'm sorry about I'll take the 2800 I paid up front and have peice of mind over having to keep 5k plus to the side for possible failures that can be half the value of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #34
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
Not just parts wear but wear and tear on the car in general. By 70k miles, car has been on the road twice as much as a car with 35k. Paint is going to show wear, scratches, stains, door dings, chips on bumper, underbody panels torn or scuffed. Interior too, leather, buttons, carpet showing more wear, more chance to be dirty/stained/have a smell. Chassis and interior squeaks and rattles, seal leaks, windshield chips and cracks. None of that stuff is going to be covered by warranty.

However the 72k mile car might be immaculate but chances are it's not. Likewise, low mile car could sit on a city street in the sun and acid rain everyday and be really rough but chances are it's not.

I drive an 09 that I bought with mileage in the 30s so I'm biased. Go check out each car in person and decide which, if either, is the right one for you.
I have seen both cars in person and both are in excellent conditions and cannot ask to be in this condition at this age and/or miles.

I guess after all the lower miles one will won because it has lower miles => less worn items. I don't care about the warranty much because I am a handy man and do most of the stuff myself...the warranty was more for piece of mind incase of catastrophic failure at this age but that's all. The car is stock though so this if anything tells me it is a clean car as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #35
Properstyle
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have seen both cars in person and both are in excellent conditions and cannot ask to be in this condition at this age and/or miles.

I guess after all the lower miles one will won because it has lower miles => less worn items. I don't care about the warranty much because I am a handy man and do most of the stuff myself...the warranty was more for piece of mind incase of catastrophic failure at this age but that's all. The car is stock though so this if anything tells me it is a clean car as well.
what did you use to check the records, In my experience autocheck is much much better than carfax, I've seen two cars that had washed titles that didn't show in car fax but did in auto check.

Yeah like you I am the same way but man those big cost repairs I'd rather not have to pay. C63 has head bolt streching issue and the s65 has the luming rodbearing issue.

Either way Good luck sir. I'm sure you will be happy with either. OEM EXHUAST MOD over all is what I leave with you lol.....
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #36
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Properstyle View Post
Both warranties I have are zero deductable and have are accepted at any certified bmw or benz repair shop, dealerhip included. I have used the warranty on the c63 for an actually wear item and it was covered as well as a navi update that should have been paid out of pocket. Anything covered in the factory warranty is covered. bill to the warrnty company was 2k, both front wheel bearings replaced, hubs replaced, navi updated, and antanne replaced. I'm sorry about I'll take the 2800 I paid up front and have peice of mind over having to keep 5k plus to the side for possible failures that can be half the value of the car.
That's awesome but note that you're in the minority as a warranty is an insurance contract so it will benefit the insurer and that's not even getting into all the shady warranty companies that take people's money and run.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #37
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have been lurking the forum for a while now and I have noticed most of your feedback towards other members has been negative most of the time but that's fine.

I know that this car is $80k and I am not worried about maintaining the car not sure why you took it that way. My question was If you had to choose one of these which one would you go with and why. That's it...simple eh?

Thanks. I'm not negative just a realist. This is a forum where people gather to talk about an expensive (60-80k) sports car and some posts are just ridiculous.

In the end you have to make the decision for yourself is all. Strangers on the web aren't paying for it, remember that.

Again, low miles is better, forget the warranty. This car is easy to maintain/work on and 2 of mine have run for a long time w/out issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #38
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I'm not negative just a realist. This is a forum where people gather to talk about an expensive (60-80k) sports car and some posts are just ridiculous.

In the end you have to make the decision for yourself is all. Strangers on the web aren't paying for it, remember that.

Again, low miles is better, forget the warranty. This car is easy to maintain/work on and 2 of mine have run for a long time w/out issue.
We are on the same page I was just taking opinions to help me decide. Both are amazing cars with adv and disadvantages. I just can't make up my mind and that's why I am taking some feedbacks. Maybe this will help me make a decision and not look back.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #39
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
If you truly cant decide between the two, flip a coin. Heads = #1, tails = #2. After you flip the coin and see the result, you will either be relieved or disappointed and you will know your answer.
      03-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #40
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

2011 Pros: Bone stock, comp pack
2011 Cons: High mileage

2009 Pros: CF Roof, low mileage
2009 Cons: Modified

Tough call, sorry to add nothing to your thread.

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
E30 M3 | Alpine White | Mostly OEM
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #41
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Silver View Post

hahaha..thanks for adding nothing.

One question though, why do you consider engine/exhaust mods as Cons and I am sure more than 80% of the member have their cars moded at a certain point
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 11:05 PM   #42
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Silver View Post

E90s no cf roof sir.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 11:54 PM   #43
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

I wouldn't buy either of them.
#1 has WAAAAAY too many miles to get into ownership of a used M3, NO CF roof (edit I see it's a sedan nm)

#2 has good mileage for a 2009, BUT NO WARRANTY ON A TUNED CAR??? NOT A CHANCE.
(flip side is maybe the guy is a true fan and loves his car, babied it every way, spotless maintenance, etc, loyal member here?) who knows? it might be the better car, but I'd not take that chance.

keep looking.
      03-06-2015, 12:01 AM   #44
buffstocover
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

#1 - hey, in 28k miles you'll be a member of the 100k club!
Appreciate 0