BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #1
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
PFC 08 brake pad / OEM rotor wear

Just swapped to PFC 08s with OEM rotors - how long do these last on the street? I've bedded them down so they squeal much less than they did originally - they sounded like a UPS truck at first. My intention is dual track/street use with these - but I spent the vast majority of my time on the street.

After driving around 2k miles on the street with them, the front brake pad wear sensor appears to have tripped from the "90k" mile marker to 11k, and then in 200 mile trip increments seems to have dropped from 11k to 10k to 9k to 8k in the span of four days. Rear still reads 90k. I drive 200 miles (mostly highway) a day, so having to replace brake pads/rotors every two months or so doesn't sound very appealing, they should at least last me 15k miles.

It's my understanding that the sensor is designed to trigger twice - once when you've worn the pad down to half, and finally when they're done and *must* be replaced.

Anyone else with experience on this? Do I have a defective set of pads? When I go to replace the pads, will I have to replace the rotors every time?

I did search some threads and my understanding is that the PFC 08 pad is not so nasty on the rotors so I could skip replacing the rotors as long as there was plenty of depth left.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Pfc08 is way too aggressive for street driving, imo.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Not a big believer in having a single pad for all conditions as there isn't a street pad made that can handle track temps and track pads are too aggressive for the street and lack initial bite when cold. Traffic on the street is 10x more unpredictable than on the track so I want the best pad for those moments when I need to jam on the brakes without notice. OEM type pads or performance pads are great for that.
My 2cents.

As for the brake service readings you should verify that you're actually wearing out the pads and rotors by miking them. Most of the mileage remaining readings are calculated based on use not from the sensor.
      03-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Just swapped to PFC 08s with OEM rotors - how long do these last on the street? I've bedded them down so they squeal much less than they did originally - they sounded like a UPS truck at first. My intention is dual track/street use with these - but I spent the vast majority of my time on the street.

After driving around 2k miles on the street with them, the front brake pad wear sensor appears to have tripped from the "90k" mile marker to 11k, and then in 200 mile trip increments seems to have dropped from 11k to 10k to 9k to 8k in the span of four days. Rear still reads 90k. I drive 200 miles (mostly highway) a day, so having to replace brake pads/rotors every two months or so doesn't sound very appealing, they should at least last me 15k miles.

It's my understanding that the sensor is designed to trigger twice - once when you've worn the pad down to half, and finally when they're done and *must* be replaced.

Anyone else with experience on this? Do I have a defective set of pads? When I go to replace the pads, will I have to replace the rotors every time?

I did search some threads and my understanding is that the PFC 08 pad is not so nasty on the rotors so I could skip replacing the rotors as long as there was plenty of depth left.
From PF website:
08 Recommended Applications:
24-hour Endurance Racing
Endurance Sportscar and GT
NASCAR Short Track and Road Course Rear
NASCAR Speedway and Intermediate Rear
All Oval Track Race series Rear
SCCA Racing
Porsche/BMW Club Racing
Track Day and Driver Education events

They seem to hardcore for a street setup, that sound alone would kill me ha. When I would swap my pads to DTC-70 for the track and have to drive home the sound alone would make me cringe
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
Pfc08 is way too aggressive for street driving, imo.
+1. I daily drive on them for about a week after coming back from the track (too lazy to replace). The squealing alone is highly embarrassing. I enjoy when I come to a stop next to a garbage truck so other people can't tell where the sound is coming from.

I think perhaps your brake wear sensor is off? I detached my sensor, but even after a few track days there is still a good amount of meat on the pads.
      03-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
I've been lazy in the past and have daily driven PFC-08s and had no issues with initial bite on the street. Now the squealing did get old.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #7
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
I don't have any problems with cold bite, it's just the wear seems out of proportion to how I've been driving - 90% highway miles, hardly any heavy braking (except during bedding). Squeal isn't so bad except during slow stops.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #8
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
I don't have any problems with cold bite, it's just the wear seems out of proportion to how I've been driving - 90% highway miles, hardly any heavy braking (except during bedding). Squeal isn't so bad except during slow stops.
That's why you should measure your pad thickness. The computer reading is just a calculation based on usage. It will calculate with the sensors zip tied out of the way.
      03-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #9
r3zon8
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 AW

you could try their Z-rated pads for street; i believe that compound is targeted for street use with less dusting that OEM
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:52 PM   #10
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3zon8 View Post
you could try their Z-rated pads for street; i believe that compound is targeted for street use with less dusting that OEM
That's what I use on the E46M3 and what I will do when out of free maintenance on the E90M3. Z-rated have the side benefit of less dust than stock pads, though the initial bite is a bit less too. 08's are awesome track pads. I took a GT3 P-car driver (instructor) out with me for some laps at Chuckwalla and he was impressed with my brakes compared to other E9xM3s he's been in. PFC = FTW as far as brakes are concerned.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0