BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

08-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
bm11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT

New owner, first mods, few questions

Hello all,

I picked up a 2012 E92 M3 earlier this month and have started individualizing it already.

My first step, though it wasn't intended to be, was a Macht Schnell Stage 2 intake. I read that they actually give 10 or so HP, and I found a low mileage used one on this forum, so I started there.

My next step was supposed to be a set of underdrive pullies and install an Akra Evo in the spring. However, I found another good deal, this time on an Active Autowerke Signature exhaust (rear section.) I liked the sound from all the videos I heard, and the price was much cheaper than the Akra, so I could afford to do it now, which fixes my immediate issue of my M3 being too quiet.

That said, from everything I read, the real power in an exhaust is made in the midpipe, catless or high flow. Is it probable or possible to get the same power out of a quality 100 cell cat midpipe such as the Challenge Sport using my Active Autowerke rear exhaust and a tune, or should I, when funds permit, purchase an Akra Evo and sell my AA?

So I guess the summarized version of my question is this: if I replace my midpipe with a quality midpipe and get a proper tune, would there be any compromize in performance vs getting a full Akra Evo?

Thanks!

-Bob
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
The x-pipe is definitely the big power adder on this car. The Akra will likely not make any more power than the Challenge or similar setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

the one thing you will be happy is the Akra Evo... the rest of the mods you posted is bleh... then do exterior mods after exhaust, wheels and drop... after that you can start playing around with mods and see.. get an intake BMC or other filter brand they are all the same... and this is because of sound..

Get the Akra just because its light... also get a tune from MIKE BENVO you can contact the TECH as well... this mod alone is a night and day difference... so i suggest get this first before anything else.
      08-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm11 View Post
Hello all,

I picked up a 2012 E92 M3 earlier this month and have started individualizing it already.

My first step, though it wasn't intended to be, was a Macht Schnell Stage 2 intake. I read that they actually give 10 or so HP, and I found a low mileage used one on this forum, so I started there.

My next step was supposed to be a set of underdrive pullies and install an Akra Evo in the spring. However, I found another good deal, this time on an Active Autowerke Signature exhaust (rear section.) I liked the sound from all the videos I heard, and the price was much cheaper than the Akra, so I could afford to do it now, which fixes my immediate issue of my M3 being too quiet.

That said, from everything I read, the real power in an exhaust is made in the midpipe, catless or high flow. Is it probable or possible to get the same power out of a quality 100 cell cat midpipe such as the Challenge Sport using my Active Autowerke rear exhaust and a tune, or should I, when funds permit, purchase an Akra Evo and sell my AA?

So I guess the summarized version of my question is this: if I replace my midpipe with a quality midpipe and get a proper tune, would there be any compromize in performance vs getting a full Akra Evo?

Thanks!

-Bob
It won't make a difference if you go with Akra or another quality x pipe. I've actually got the setup you're talking about. AA rear with Challenge Sport x-pipe and an ESS tune. Installed last month and loving it. Here's a quick vid we made right after getting the x-pipe on and flashing the tune. Cell phone quality and very light acceleration, but you'll get the idea. Sounds and drives great.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
also get a tune from MIKE BENVO you can contact the TECH as well... this mod alone is a night and day difference... so i suggest get this first before anything else.
Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
bm11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT

Wouldn't I want the tune specific to the exhaust? Why would I want it before then?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm11 View Post
Wouldn't I want the tune specific to the exhaust? Why would I want it before then?
You will just want a tune specific to a high flow or catless setup with considerations for the Akra if you go that route. Can be made and installed before or after you get the exhaust.
Appreciate 0