BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #23
Draff1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe

Having owned both and now with the DCT, I still miss the 6MT controll but the DCT makes this a different car. More refinement, better performance and the ability to endure traffic without fatigue.

My salesman helped me make the final decision (go figure) by asking me how many 6MT Ferarris and Lambo's were sold in the past few years. Obviously they all use paddle shifted automated manual transmissions.

One way or the other you will have to compromise. I think fewer regrets with the DCT.
      05-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #24
Bpower
Banned
Rep
Drives: E-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draff1 View Post
Having owned both and now with the DCT, I still miss the 6MT controll but the DCT makes this a different car. More refinement, better performance and the ability to endure traffic without fatigue.

My salesman helped me make the final decision (go figure) by asking me how many 6MT Ferarris and Lambo's were sold in the past few years. Obviously they all use paddle shifted automated manual transmissions.

One way or the other you will have to compromise. I think fewer regrets with the DCT.
I agree with you, I think I can afford to loose a clutch pedal in order to gain easy of traffic or just relaxing. I think I would be tempted to burn tires out with my at every light! Pushing m button and putting into s mode would make me think twice before burning tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #25
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpower View Post
I agree with you, I think I can afford to loose a clutch pedal in order to gain easy of traffic or just relaxing. I think I would be tempted to burn tires out with my at every light! Pushing m button and putting into s mode would make me think twice before burning tires.

Why would anyone think twice about burning tires???
      05-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #26
Draff1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe

I have noticed actually that due to the DCT lightening fast shifts and seamless power, my tires are getting used up quicker than my 6MT. Now you can call me a grandma in the 6MT but apples to apples driving style, the wheelspin hammering 2nd and 3rd gear in the DCT seems to use up tires pretty nicely - not that I'm complaining. I have only used LC twice and used to lay down rubber more often in the 6MT. Bottom line, tire usage is totally dictated by your driving style but DCT cars tend to scrub off rubber more consistently due to the second gear spin - IMHO.
      05-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #27
Bpower
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
I normally wouldn't but by pressing 2 or 3 buttons before I process would defending have me second guess, it's a good thing. If I am predetermined to burn the tires then even 20 buttons and or presents of police won't stop me!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #28
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post

Why would anyone think twice about burning tires???
totoally agreee, hahahah
      05-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #29
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:

Considering all the Ferraris and Lamborghinis that don't have a traditional manual transmission, until the California and 458 italia, have been sold with a horrible single clutch automated manual (similar to SMG), I don't know that argument helps. They are huge detractors from those cars, imho, where the M-DCT does not get in the way and is awesome. I *HATE* the F1 F360/F430...

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #30
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I just got my 2009 E90 with DCT last Thursday after driving my E46M3 for over 100,000 miles with the 6MT. I thought I would miss the MT but I think the DCT is amazing. Every day I am telling my car friends about a cool feature I learned about the DCT and they make fun of me and have called me a "sell out" and "Paddle Boy". I don't care - I love it that much. I had to get the DCT because my wife never learned to drive the MT and after 9 years I gave up with the idea that she would ever learn. I also realized that about 50% of my driving time is spent in NYC traffic and I was tired of the clutch.

My new discovery today after reading the owner's manual is that when you are in S mode (manual) and you floor it and click off a downshift - it doesn't just go down 1 gear - it goes to the lowest safe gear so I went from 7 to 3 and took off.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #31
Jaylyons1
Private
Rep
Drives: R32 GT-R/'16 IS300/Project TBD

I'm picking up a 6MT next week. My biggest reasoning is that for one I like more involvement in my drive. Although the DCT has definitely proven itself useful, I still prefer the fun and control of the 6MT. Its personal preference really.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 05:21 AM   #32
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

I also was concerned with some of the technical issues of the DCT and when I bought my 08, there was just not enough info I could find so went with the 6MT. But if I had to do it again and hope I will in the future DCT for sure. Sick of the manual and I'm sure DCT makes the experiance all that much better. Do it! You can allways buy a beater car that's a manual like I did for the crap weather day. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #33
Bpower
Banned
Rep

Thanks guys I bought a Lexus ISF, seem like a better and more reliable car.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #34
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

DCT
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #35
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Better? More reliable?

You'll probably end up trading up in a year. Should of gone with the M.

SZ
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #36
Kart
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Congrats and good luck with your new Lexus. I hope you will be happy with it.
I test drove one with a friend who wanted the ISF and it disapointed me. I much perfer my E90 M3 with DCT. IMO the DCT is definitively better that the Lexus automatic. BTW my friend ended up buying the 1M.

As many other wrote, the DCT is fantastic. Last week I went back to see my salesman to try his E92 M3 with 6MT just to confirm that I have no regret with DCT. After this test drive, I definitely prefer the DCT. For my taste, the 6MT as too much freeplay in the gear stick and too much clutch pedal travel. The DCT works flawlessly even in very cold temperature (-20 DegC).

BTW when I was going to buy my 2011 E90 M3 I was 110% convinced that I want a 6MT. I test drove a M3 with DCT by concidence (actually I was testing the EDC) and loved the DCT so much that I completely switch over and said I absolutely want the DCT. So these days when I want to manually shift, I go on the track with my kart...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #37
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart View Post
Congrats and good luck with your new Lexus. I hope you will be happy with it.
I test drove one with a friend who wanted the ISF and it disapointed me. I much perfer my E90 M3 with DCT. IMO the DCT is definitively better that the Lexus automatic. BTW my friend ended up buying the 1M.

As many other wrote, the DCT is fantastic. Last week I went back to see my salesman to try his E92 M3 with 6MT just to confirm that I have no regret with DCT. After this test drive, I definitely prefer the DCT. For my taste, the 6MT as too much freeplay in the gear stick and too much clutch pedal travel. The DCT works flawlessly even in very cold temperature (-20 DegC).

BTW when I was going to buy my 2011 E90 M3 I was 110% convinced that I want a 6MT. I test drove a M3 with DCT by concidence (actually I was testing the EDC) and loved the DCT so much that I completely switch over and said I absolutely want the DCT. So these days when I want to manually shift, I go on the track with my kart...
Interesting. my perspective was quite the opposite. I test drove all sorts of cars with dual clutch systems...Audi, Porsche, BMW, Nissan GTR. No question that the shifts are faster, but two things really kept me from going with DCT....

1. I simply enjoy the physical process of using a clutch and shifter and the satisfaction that comes with perfect synchronization of the motions.

2. With DCT, you still don't have the full level of control and engine/gearbox modulation that you do with a traditional manual.

I'm not against dual clutch, I just want a more pure interface. By that I mean there should be just 2 modes. Automatic and manual. Auto is auto. Manual is manual meaning that the car DOES NOT SHIFT under any circumstance unless you tell it to. It would also be great if the paddles were "spring loaded" so you could control how fast the take-up was by either slowly or quickly letting out the paddles depending on what you wanted to do.
      05-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #38
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Drive both ... Buy what you like, that's what I did. I preferred the 6MT. More fun to drive in my opinion.
      05-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #39
Franken///M
A70
Germany
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
Interesting. my perspective was quite the opposite. I test drove all sorts of cars with dual clutch systems...Audi, Porsche, BMW, Nissan GTR. No question that the shifts are faster, but two things really kept me from going with DCT....

1. I simply enjoy the physical process of using a clutch and shifter and the satisfaction that comes with perfect synchronization of the motions.

2. With DCT, you still don't have the full level of control and engine/gearbox modulation that you do with a traditional manual.

I'm not against dual clutch, I just want a more pure interface. By that I mean there should be just 2 modes. Automatic and manual. Auto is auto. Manual is manual meaning that the car DOES NOT SHIFT under any circumstance unless you tell it to. It would also be great if the paddles were "spring loaded" so you could control how fast the take-up was by either slowly or quickly letting out the paddles depending on what you wanted to do.
Well said
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 01:21 AM   #40
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

my last 2 M cars were 6MT and i loved them but i figured when i got this one i would try the DCT for a change. well i drove a couple of them bf getting mine and while it was a blast for a few min and super fast i just felt like i would get bored with it, kinda like a video game. so i got the 6mt and never looked back i love it. it may be a little slower then the DCT but it is a blast to drive. i did put the Dinan software in it though which while doesn't give alot of power increase it does make the car run much better in my op esp at takeoff and 1-2 shifts

i would suggest trying them both bc i know alot of people who love the DCT so it is personal preference

Quote:
Hey guys, I really hate to start a new thread about an old subject but please help me decide 6mt or DCT.

I read some horror stories about DCT lagging up to 2 seconds before the car has power after a rapid deceleration. Has that issue been worked out? Is there any other negatives about it?

As of 6MT there was cases of synchos failing and clutch delay valve issues.

Bottom line is I want a dependable car that I wont mod in any way and enjoy ti in stock form. Which choice would be better for me longevity and reliability wise? I know DCT is fast shifting and a perfect transmission (on paper), can someone pitch in that owns one and drives the car hard, thanks.
Appreciate 0