BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Im4citadel
Der Stalag EUA
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carbon Black 550I Xdrive

328xi or X3

Guys:

I had to get your opinions.

My wife and I are looking to get rid of her Jetta (great daily car BTW). Since the buyer that was interested is basically on board to pay us this Sat. she and I went out to take a look at several BMW's (she wanted a Benz C250, but I would like to keep it in the family). As we got there my attention was directly on the new X3. AWD, decent design, great for a young woman, and it's an SUV (the main reason I wanted it...especially to the DMV locals out there...you remember "Carmageddon" last year?). She screams "Hell No". If she is going to "have to" drive a BMW she said she is not putting her butt in anything other than a 328xi coupe. I think it would be at the height of stupidity to have two 3 series sports cars (I know the M3 is so much more, but wording it this way makes my point come across a lot better). Am I the one that's unreasonable here? Not to be a a prick or anything, but it's not like she's out there making the money to "have to" drive a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
goblueM3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e90 DCT

I was in a somewhat similar situation a few years ago with my wife. She had a Passat, which was pretty awful in the winters here, and I wanted to get her in an SUV. We settled on a gently used X3 (fully loaded), and she LOVES it. Granted, she also wanted to be in an SUV, which it sounds like your wife does not.

Yes, I do think it's stupid to have 2 sports coupes as the only 2 cars in your "garage".

Also, NEVER bring up the fact that you're the one working for the $$ to pay for the cars. That is a very bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Let her drive what she wants. The 328xi is still AWD so there is no issue with winter conditions.

Do you want the extra cargo capacity in the X3 for a specific reason?

Why not get the MB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im4citadel View Post
Am I the one that's unreasonable here? Not to be a a prick or anything, but it's not like she's out there making the money to "have to" drive a BMW.
This sort of attitude will soon lead to her becoming your ex-wife, in which case she'll use your money to buy whatever she wants anyway
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Im4citadel
Der Stalag EUA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblueM3 View Post
I was in a somewhat similar situation a few years ago with my wife. She had a Passat, which was pretty awful in the winters here, and I wanted to get her in an SUV. We settled on a gently used X3 (fully loaded), and she LOVES it. Granted, she also wanted to be in an SUV, which it sounds like your wife does not.

Yes, I do think it's stupid to have 2 sports coupes as the only 2 cars in your "garage".

Also, NEVER bring up the fact that you're the one working for the $$ to pay for the cars. That is a very bad idea.
She claims she never had a sports car and would like to have one, but I feel it's necessary for us to have an SUV. Even if it is the smallest one available.

I know not to bring up the money issue, it's just seems to me that her logic is conjured up in the land of Narnia.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
goblueM3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e90 DCT

Quote:
She claims she never had a sports car and would like to have one, but I feel it's necessary for us to have an SUV. Even if it is the smallest one available.
You should take her to test drive the new X3 with the bigger motor AND the M Sport package. I think she'll be pleasantly surprised by its performance
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Im4citadel
Der Stalag EUA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Let her drive what she wants. The 328xi is still AWD so there is no issue with winter conditions.

Do you want the extra cargo capacity in the X3 for a specific reason?

Why not get the MB?

This sort of attitude will soon lead to her becoming your ex-wife, in which case she'll use your money to buy whatever she wants anyway
I hear you on the ex-wife deal...God knows I've seen some ugly divorces out there. I know when to keep my mouth shut. Simply venting here.

The extra space in the X3 is nice and it's the fact that it is an SUV. It just felt more secure.

And the MB is an even bigger "NO" in my opinion than the 328xi because it's not only a coupe, but available only in 2wd.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Bimmer Freeeek!
Live Fast. Die Young.
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ///M3

Quote:
I know not to bring up the money issue, it's just seems to me that her logic is conjured up in the land of Narnia.
Quote:
Guys:

My wife and I are looking to get rid of her Jetta (great daily car BTW). Since the buyer that was interested is basically on board to pay us this Sat. she and I went out to take a look at several BMW's (she wanted a Benz C250, but I would like to keep it in the family). As we got there my attention was directly on the new X3. AWD, decent design, great for a young woman, and it's an SUV (the main reason I wanted it...especially to the DMV locals out there...you remember "Carmageddon" last year?). She screams "Hell No". If she is going to "have to" drive a BMW she said she is not putting her butt in anything other than a 328xi coupe. I think it would be at the height of stupidity to have two 3 series sports cars (I know the M3 is so much more, but wording it this way makes my point come across a lot better). Am I the one that's unreasonable here? Not to be a a prick or anything, but it's not like she's out there making the money to "have to" drive a BMW.
Oh, hell no.

Think about all the things your wife does for you and your family, and then attempt to put a monetary value on that. There is so much that I could say, but I think it's best that I hold back. Instead, I'll leave you with these wise words: Happy Wife, Happy Life.

2012 M3 E92 SS-II
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
Bimmer Freeeek!
Live Fast. Die Young.
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ///M3

Quote:
So if you feel it is so necessary, why don't you get the SUV and let her have her sporty car?

2012 M3 E92 SS-II
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

let her get the c250, it's what she wants anyways and it's efficient and different from your m3
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Quote:
Guys:

Are you talking about snowmageddon? I was stuck in traffic for 12 hours last year because of it....in an M3....And get the x3, its a newer generation model. if you get a 328xi now it'll be old in one or two years. plus 328xi is all wheel drive and everything but the suspension is horrible for more then 2 inches of snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Let her get what she wants.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Im4citadel
Der Stalag EUA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Freeeek! View Post
So if you feel it is so necessary, why don't you get the SUV and let her have her sporty car?
So many things I can say to this...but we'll just leave it be.

Happy wife Happy life...I'm with you on that.

I know my wife does a lot.

Well...we have no kids...she goes to dental school...and I make dinner most nights.............hmmmmmmm....carry the 2...........

I'm just kidding. A guy can vent can't he?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Im4citadel
Der Stalag EUA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthai View Post
Are you talking about snowmageddon? I was stuck in traffic for 12 hours last year because of it....in an M3....And get the x3, its a newer generation model. if you get a 328xi now it'll be old in one or two years. plus 328xi is all wheel drive and everything but the suspension is horrible for more then 2 inches of snow.
Yes...half my office spent the night at my apartment (I live and work in Tysons).

I think I will have to eventually do what she wants...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I am curious why she was perfectly happy with the idea of a C250 (not to mention the Jetta), but won't entertain any BMW besides a coupe. Did you ask her that?

Having said that - assuming she can provide something resembling a rational answer re: the above, which I suppose might be asking a lot depending on her personality - I wouldn't give her too much flack about what she wants to drive. I don't see the problem with two coupes in the family, assuming you don't have a bunch of kids or a catering business or something else that would make that situation pretty ridiculous. Also, to be honest, considering an SUV because of a storm that happened last year and is unlikely to be repeated again any time soon is sort of silly. If you buy an SUV, buy it because you need the utility, not because of some rare weather pattern.

Regarding keeping it in the family - have you thought about a Mini? Although techincally an SUV, the Countryman is a very compact 5-door with great utility and lots of nice features. Women tend to love them, so she might very well be interested if you take her to look at one.

Quote:
Guys:

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Im4citadel
Der Stalag EUA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I am curious why she was perfectly happy with the idea of a C250 (not to mention the Jetta), but won't entertain any BMW besides a coupe. Did you ask her that?
The Jetta was the car her father bought for her in college. She doesn't want the Beemer cuz....wait for it...her best friend owns one and she wants a Benz to standout....

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #16
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The extra space in the X3 is nice and it's the fact that it is an SUV. It just felt more secure.
While her reasoning doesn't sound hugely logical, yours for wanting an SUV aren't very need-based either. You guys don't have kids so there's not a need for 4 doors. The 328xi is AWD so except for clearance it'll be similar to the x3 in the snow (but with a lower center of gravity - good!). She's already compromising on getting the BMW, so don't push your luck.

If you really want the SUV, you're going to have to make her think it was her idea to choose it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Congrats.. your wife must be cute if she drove a Jetta. Anyways, I would just buy her whatever she wanted, within reason of course.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #18
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
328XI FTW!! Get your wife WHATEVER she wants! as long as it's a BMW

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Get her the X5 M or a X6 M just get another M in the driveway.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

If you get her what SHE wants, then you won't have to listen to endless bitching every time she drives it lol.
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #21
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Someone had to do it:

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #22
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Get her the MERCEDES. That's what she wants anyway, who cares what YOU want. Are you going to be driving her car daily? Nope, she is. So get her the car she wants. You must be new...