BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

02-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Alignment (by BMW dealer) question

Hi gang. Took my car the other day to get the tranny cooler replaced as the first step to fix my car (damage was cosmetic on right side, but cooler was twisted a bit, and I demanded replacement), and asked service manager why they couldn't align it as the same time. He said car had to have every part (bumper and fender missing) because machine is very precise with the weight. Hmmm. Okaaaay.

Once car was in, I asked tech the same question and said the reason fenders and bumpers need to be installed is their machine measures alignment from them. WTF? That can't be accurate, can it? Just wondering, since car will have a new front fender and the rear one repaired exactly on the lip, which was pushed in a bit. All comments welcome.

By the way, I also demanded the cooler be replaced at dealer so they could check tranny fluid, and tech refused saying car had to be cold. I can understand that, but he then said car also had to be running, which I don't remember being the case with 6MTs (DCTs yes); Is it? Curious on this as well. None of my manual cars had ever require to be running for a fluid check, but would like to know if one of you does, for future tranny oil changes. Thanks gang.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Are you talking about wheel alignment? If so, they do not need to put body parts on the car to do that. To check the tranny fluid on a 6mt, you do not need to have the engine running. That is only on automatic trannies. Looks like that dealer has a bunch of idiots working there....
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
ff1600
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP 6mt YMB/SB

Does the 6mt have a dipstick? If not, how could you check fluid level with the engine running? Remove the fill plug and watch the tranny fluid spit out the hole? Must be fun next to a hot exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
Are you talking about wheel alignment? If so, they do not need to put body parts on the car to do that.
That's exactly what I thought. That makes me wonder what kind of garbage machine they're using. I wanted to get a precise alignment, but now I have my doubts those clowns can do that. The fun of living in a crappy town with only one dealer . Car feels perfect, but want it checked, and insurance already approved the hefty $150 charge. Any suggestions?
I'm going to call a random big dealer and ask about what machine they should be using, and make sure it's the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
To check the tranny fluid on a 6mt, you do not need to have the engine running. That is only on automatic trannies. Looks like that dealer has a bunch of idiots working there....
Those are my sentiments as well . I know DCT's are checked with engine running (like most autos -except Honda/Acura), even though they have a fill plug, not a dipstick.
I'll try to find the service manual page somebody posted here a while ago. Remember reading the cooler pump had to be activated, but don't remember the engine running. That clown said the opposite on both counts. However, what we DIYers might need to do after a fluid change is run the engine for a little bit to make sure all cooler lines are full, then check level with engine off again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1600 View Post
Does the 6mt have a dipstick? If not, how could you check fluid level with the engine running? Remove the fill plug and watch the tranny fluid spit out the hole? Must be fun next to a hot exhaust.
With the engine running at idle, it'd probably just read low rather than spitting fluid, but I wouldn't try it for the reasons you mentioned. Plus that'd lead to overfilling if it's not the correct procedure (like on DCTs). I've never seen a manual tranny requiring engine running to check level, and there's nothing special about this one. Thank you very much for your comments folks. Have a great day.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Hey gang, will let a dealer check alignment, but I need your opinion on something. When seeing the car without the bumpers, the negative camber is pretty darn evident.

I want to specify to the dealer to align my car with ALL (both cambers and toe-in) minimum specs, for instance if camber range is from -1 to -2º, I want it at -1º. That should give me maximum tire life, while still great performance, as it'd be within factory specs, right? By the way, I'll never track my car, and since I live in the flat desert, all my fun is high speed (a ton or so sustained). The minimum toe-in range should still lead pretty good high-speed stability, right? Or should I go with the middle values?

Oh, and does anybody have the factory specs for my '08 E92 M3? Many thanks. Have a good one.
Appreciate 0