BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

05-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Akrapovic with delete-R thru OBD

I saw on the Akra website they are advertising the optional delete-R to counter the CEL thru a piggy back system via the plug-in adapter on the OBD. Has anyone installed this and are you happy with the result.

I think this resets the CEL everytime it's produced rather than sending a pseudo value to the EMS. Correct me here if I am wrong.

I've been putting off getting the Akra due to the CEL issue and from what I see they've come up with the solution. But at the same time I like to know what the delete-R does.
      05-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I had the deleter included in my Akra full exhaust installed last week. Now have 300 miles and one track day on the exhaust. So far no CEL. Definite increase in power noticed at the track. I will write a review once I get a little more time to evaluate.
      05-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Checkcaptain
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I saw on the Akra website they are advertising the optional delete-R to counter the CEL thru a piggy back system via the plug-in adapter on the OBD. Has anyone installed this and are you happy with the result.

I think this resets the CEL everytime it's produced rather than sending a pseudo value to the EMS. Correct me here if I am wrong.

I've been putting off getting the Akra due to the CEL issue and from what I see they've come up with the solution. But at the same time I like to know what the delete-R does.
You are absolutely right! I did intentionally break in my new car including Akrapovic Evo 200cpsi´s without having the deleter installed, after 600km I did get CEL - like expected (Euro spec car). Thereafter I installed the deleter. After starting the car, the CEL still was on and turned off by itself after 5km driving. From that point on no further CEL. The same behaviour we also did observe with the Euro and US spec cars when testing the deleter the last few month. So the CEL issue is finally solved
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

^--- how's that get you buy inspection? If you are constantly clearing codes you won't pass a readiness test.
      05-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
This CEL clearing process could happen many hundred times during a long drive, and eventually it could be lead to something else.

Surely a company that's so good in producing exhaust systems for OEM can come up with something better than this.
      05-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Surely a company that's so good in producing exhaust systems for OEM can come up with something better than this.
Producing a mechanical exhaust system is one thing. Emissions electronic controls is something else entirely. Two different talents. Remember that the BMW ECU tuning is akin to black magic and there are only a handful of people that can actually produce good results with it. I wish there were some sort of tune or device that were up to same standards as the Akra is mechanically. Maybe someone will step up. It seems that this is just a tough nut to crack though.

Thank all the environmentalists and politicians for this quandary. At least our children can enjoy clean air and cold temperatures while driving in their 50 hp prius offspring.

Cheers.
      05-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #7
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

Quote:
This CEL clearing process could happen many hundred times during a long drive, and eventually it could be lead to something else.

Are you not interested in having an ECU tune done?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
My dilema is that there no one reputable in WA to do the kind of ECU tune you're offering Andrew. My only solution is to send the ECU to you and I am scratching my head on this.

The other thing is that if there is an issue with the engine accidentally ... and thru no fault of the tune ... I don't want to miss out on a goodwill engine warranty because i have fiddled with the ECU.

I have worked for BMW and I know the level of details that's transparent to the dealer, and what BMW Mulgrave and Munich can see from the downloaded data. Andrew, I am not questioning your work, it's the fear in case of the unthinkable. What are your thoughts
      05-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
My guess is that the CEL deleter simply firewalls the light from appearing on the dash, which would be preferable in order to keep systems in check during the tuning process. This way it can be removed without any permanent effects on the M3.

For those local and are looking to turn off the rear O2s, we can do this with coding in-house - whether you're equipped with a tune or still on stock programming.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Turning off the rear O2 is going to fail inspection as well.
      05-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

Quote:
My dilema is that there no one reputable in WA to do the kind of ECU tune you're offering Andrew. My only solution is to send the ECU to you and I am scratching my head on this.

The other thing is that if there is an issue with the engine accidentally ... and thru no fault of the tune ... I don't want to miss out on a goodwill engine warranty because i have fiddled with the ECU.

I have worked for BMW and I know the level of details that's transparent to the dealer, and what BMW Mulgrave and Munich can see from the downloaded data. Andrew, I am not questioning your work, it's the fear in case of the unthinkable. What are your thoughts
Will simply having the full Akra exhaust system +/- deleter VOID my BMW warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
Will simply having the full Akra exhaust system +/- deleter VOID my BMW warranty?
I doubt it, but it depends on the specific conditions of the situation and if a PUMA case was opened for some pre-existing condition. Most technicians will look the other way.

The Akra systems are probably the best systems on the market for the M3 at the moment.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #13
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

Quote:

Are you talking about Washington State or Washington D.C.? If you are talking about Washington State, we are doing a group buy on the Powerchip ECU tune, if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper206 View Post
Are you talking about Washington State or Washington D.C.? If you are talking about Washington State, we are doing a group buy on the Powerchip ECU tune, if you're interested.
Western Australia I'd imagine.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #15
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

Quote:

I do understand your concerns and that is something very important but this is something you have to take on for yourself. Talk to BMW and see how they react to your questions. If there answer suits you then we can move on. I am asked this ocnstantly and i am very aware of this issue with my highly modified 135i

We recently have done 2 Akrapovic Full Evo systems with ECU tunes. I have images on my Gallery pages of my website for you to look over if your interested.

This is what i can offer you,

I have a second hand full Titanium Akrapovic that suits an E90. I believe the whole front section is the same as E92 so if you wish to run the stock rear muffler i would seperate the system i have here.

I believe i have the adapters in stock as well, but i'll check if your interested.

Regarding the ECU tune, i would be happy to send over a laptop in the mail with USB reflash cable and that allows you to read the file, you can email that file to me, then i'll email you a new one back, you upload it and then send my laptop back in the mail when your done.

Last edited by andrew@southernBM; 05-03-2010 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #16
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Andrew, thank you for the offer, and let me speak with BMW here in Perth. PM with how much you want for the front section.
      05-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #17
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
I do understand your concerns and that is something very important but this is something you have to take on for yourself. Talk to BMW and see how they react to your questions. If there answer suits you then we can move on. I am asked this ocnstantly and i am very aware of this issue with my highly modified 135i

We recently have done 2 Akrapovic Full Evo systems with ECU tunes. I have images on my Gallery pages of my website for you to look over if your interested.

This is what i can offer you,

I have a second hand full Titanium Akrapovic that suits an E90. I believe the whole front section is the same as E92 so if you wish to run the stock rear muffler i would seperate the system i have here.

I believe i have the adapters in stock as well, but i'll check if your interested.

Regarding the ECU tune, i would be happy to send over a laptop in the mail with USB reflash cable and that allows you to read the file, you can email that file to me, then i'll email you a new one back, you upload it and then send my laptop back in the mail when your done.
What Service.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas

OK so how much is this "CEL" deleter? I wanna go with turner's test pipes and eliminate the primaries, but don't wanna go with a tune because the car is a lease.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #19
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Captain View Post
OK so how much is this "CEL" deleter? I wanna go with turner's test pipes and eliminate the primaries, but don't wanna go with a tune because the car is a lease.
what would be the point of the CEL deleter then? all it will do is turn the dash light off, it won't fix the issue.
      05-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #20
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
what would be the point of the CEL deleter then? all it will do is turn the dash light off, it won't fix the issue.
Has anyone posted results with a CA sniffer (assuming the most strict regulations in the country) with the Akra system yet? The rear O2s simply are for monitoring and have no effect on emissions or tuning.

If the system will not pass a smog test - a solution for the light will be irrelevant.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #21
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Has anyone posted results with a CA sniffer (assuming the most strict regulations in the country) with the Akra system yet? The rear O2s simply are for monitoring and have no effect on emissions or tuning.

If the system will not pass a smog test - a solution for the light will be irrelevant.
They have no effect on emissions tuning but they have 100% effect on passing a readiness test for an inspection. If you turn them off you fail. If you clear the code right before test they don't show as ready and you fail.
      05-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #22
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
They have no effect on emissions tuning but they have 100% effect on passing a readiness test for an inspection. If you turn them off you fail. If you clear the code right before test they don't show as ready and you fail.
I agree, but if HC & NOx are above passing levels in the first place, a light isn't going to help at all.

It's going about it a bit backwards since the visual is performed first - but I'm trying to look at the entire situation rather than focusing on one specific portion.

Appreciate 0