BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
mmandaniel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Her name is Betsy.

Forum Question: What do you like about the forum? what don't you?

Hey guys,

I'm doing some research for a class,

I was wondering what you guys like about this forum compared to others

also what don't you guys like?

what could be added to make it better?

Please help me out!

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
rourkem
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

For me, choice of forums always comes down to activity level and the quality of that activity.

For this forum, I love the very high level of activity and the consistently high level of posts for a core group of participants. Yeah, there are trolls from time to time, but there are always trolls.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Love this forum
Only thing I don't like are the overly active mods
Who delete threads they don't agree with
      12-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

I dont like the fact that every question asked that's pointed towards a sponsor of the forum ends up being answered through PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
I dont like the fact that every question asked that's pointed towards a sponsor of the forum ends up being answered through PM.
Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Love this forum
Only thing I don't like are the overly active mods
Who delete threads they don't agree with
Let's see how long this one lasts lol

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

I like the community. The forum is fairly nice and clean, not much oversized crazy sigs. This forum feels more like a Facebook layout while other BMW forums feel like MySpace.

Don't like over-moderation of the forums. Mods should not modify something they do not agree with or modify something to protect a sponsor from being rightfully called out for whatever reason. M3post is nowhere near as bad as the 1 and 1M forums, you get banned for calling a 1 ugly there.

Users here are knowledgeable for the most part and there is a lot to be learned. All in all, it's a great forum.
      12-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Pros: activity, knowledgeable members, helpful members, good search function, diverse subjects

Cons: I get banned once a year whether I deserve it or not.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Pros: activity, knowledgeable members, helpful members, good search function, diverse subjects
Same exact thing I was thinking

Cons: trolls, rude members, and threats that turn into "yeah, I'm that awesome because I have this and that".
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #9
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I love this forum, its def my favorite site to visit daily and thats due to the forum members. lots of knowledgeable people on here

the only gripe I have about is it makes me spend way to much money! I see all these mods and I have to have them. Next thing i know I buying more mods

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
Agreed. Everyone thinks they are being sneaky. Along the same lines, I highly dislike vendors chiming in when people are looking for suggestions on a certain item just to push the items that they sell, especially when said vendor is the only one or one of the only ones who sells the item.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Agreed. Everyone thinks they are being sneaky. Along the same lines, I highly dislike vendors chiming in when people are looking for suggestions on a certain item just to push the items that they sell, especially when said vendor is the only one or one of the only ones who sells the item.
If they are the only ones who sell an item, who cares if they chime in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #12
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
If they are the only ones who sell an item, who cares if they chime in?
Well cause they are pushing the item cause it's the only one they sell and not necessarily an unbiased opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #13
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Well cause they are pushing the item cause it's the only one they sell and not necessarily an unbiased opinion.
at the same time you can say the same about some members they may have a bias towards a brand so never a real answer. I would say the most realistic answer is choose the one you like lol.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #14
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

I think we do a REALLY GOOD job of appreciating all tastes and preferences in terms of mods, options, etc. We have a fairly pervasive live and let live attitude, which makes it a welcoming place for new forum members, which will ultimately ensure the future success of the forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #15
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
PROS: Smart, Intelligent, engaging, respectful dialogue

CONS: Rude, Ignorant, Dogmatic, pontification by members. Blatant spelling & grammatical errors from English speaking members. Unsolicited prodding and nudging from vendors. "PM ME for this" & "PM ME for that", "Best Price" PM'ing. "Shh deals" etc.
      12-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #16
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkem View Post
For me, choice of forums always comes down to activity level and the quality of that activity.

For this forum, I love the very high level of activity and the consistently high level of posts for a core group of participants. Yeah, there are trolls from time to time, but there are always trolls.
I think you missed the "Hey Days" when Le_Mans and PencilGeek were here. You could learn a TON from their posts. Even Sticky contributed, but he just isn't able to give his message without being overly aggressive and even abusive on a regular basis. I bet he defended his car/point of view more than he would defend his mother or wife.
But he pushed the boundary of the M3 tuing. Unfortunately, the venders drove them all away, well maybe not Sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post

CONS: Rude, Ignorant, Dogmatic, pontification by members. Blatant spelling & grammatical errors from English speaking members. Unsolicited prodding and nudging from vendors. "PM ME for this" & "PM ME for that", "Best Price" PM'ing. "Shh deals" etc.

Werd.
What's sad is the member's here actually believe they're getting a "special price so don't tell anyone deal."
I just call Sam at AutoTalent. He's local, has GREAT prices, and unfortunately, not a sponsor anymore either.

As for the "trolls." I would consider anyone who jumps into and DCT threat to post "6MT > DCT" a troll, so they're still around.

If you really want to see how a vender totally controls this board, look on the E90 side where Shiv was able to get away with very rude statements towards BMS, and when BMS responded... BANNED!!! Because Shiv is a big sponsor and BMS at the time wasn't even a tuner. Now he's right up there with Shiv, IMO.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #17
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

Like: Coming across the occasional nugget of useful, helpful or interesting information.

Dislike: Trying to find those nuggets is like picking peanuts from poop.

Last edited by SD-E93-11; 12-02-2011 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 01:07 AM   #18
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Likes: Great level of activity and quality posts from some individuals

Dislikes: Irrelevant individuals trying to turn this into GTR, Porsche, AMG forums with their incessant nonsense
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #19
mmandaniel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I think you missed the "Hey Days" when Le_Mans and PencilGeek were here. You could learn a TON from their posts. Even Sticky contributed, but he just isn't able to give his message without being overly aggressive and even abusive on a regular basis. I bet he defended his car/point of view more than he would defend his mother or wife.
But he pushed the boundary of the M3 tuing. Unfortunately, the venders drove them all away, well maybe not Sticky.

[/B]

I just call Sam at AutoTalent. He's local, has GREAT prices, and unfortunately, not a sponsor anymore either.

As for the "trolls." I would consider anyone who jumps into and DCT threat to post "6MT > DCT" a troll, so they're still around.

If you really want to see how a vender totally controls this board, look on the E90 side where Shiv was able to get away with very rude statements towards BMS, and when BMS responded... BANNED!!! Because Shiv is a big sponsor and BMS at the time wasn't even a tuner. Now he's right up there with Shiv, IMO.

Sam @ Autotalent is the man he installed my v3s just saying
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 02:27 AM   #20
mmandaniel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all your input btw

keep it coming

how do you guys like the format? layout? style?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 04:19 AM   #21
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

^Best format, layout, style, etc, by far. Other forums are either boring-lookin' or busy/tacky-lookin'.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #22
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Like OC3, I really like the layout. It's clean, easy to navigate, simple, yet comprehensive. It's the second best thing about this forum to me. The #1 thing has to be the size though. The forum has enough users and activity that it's useful.

Unfortunately, the thing that I currently dislike about it is ironically the members. This used to be a much different place back in 2008 and 2009. Back then, the forum was big AND the people were mature and civil. I won't say that we lost all the good members (some certainly left, some stuck around but gave up for various reasons) but there's a clear imbalance. A shame.

Edit: I posted without reading the comments since I was just replying at first, but it looks like someone hit some of my points, albeit much more vividly. I don't share the points about the vendors QUITE as strongly, although I do understandably take offense at a few specific ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post

Appreciate 0