BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-07-2010, 03:01 AM   #1
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Cocaine Question

So I was thinking about this a few days ago...

Cocaine possession is illegal right?
Use of Cocaine is also illegal.
In order to use cocaine, you need to possess it.

All those people who go into rehab for drug use are basically admitting to a felony.. how come they don't go to jail?
      01-07-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

rehab is like jail. U cant leave till ur fixed so I think. Not to mention the cost of it. Also it depends on who you are, how much you had and who you know. If you have a clean back round and a nice lawyer, you can probably just do rehab depending on how nice the judge is.

Nose candy FTW!

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:43 AM   #3
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
I always thought rehab was like a spa resort. like the Betty Ford Center

you know.. super nice luxury rooms.. you don't get anally probed in the showers and beaten by the guards because they bet on how many club hits it would take to knock you out.

I am talking about people who go out of their own free will, not the court appointed people.
      01-07-2010, 04:03 AM   #4
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
I always thought rehab was like a spa resort. like the Betty Ford Center

you know.. super nice luxury rooms.. you don't get anally probed in the showers and beaten by the guards because they bet on how many club hits it would take to knock you out.

I am talking about people who go out of their own free will, not the court appointed people.
it depends which one you go and who you are. Like celebs get higher service but cant leave, which still is annoying. for example, try staying in a fancy room for almost the whole day.. you cant really leave and walk the streets.

- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 04:04 AM   #5
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

but yea its 100x better than jail and prison..

yet the concept is still the same "staying in a box room for weeks if not months"

--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 04:08 AM   #6
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
oh ok.. so you can't leave.. it is kind of like being comitted to a mental institution then.

didn't know

thanks for the clarification

I always thought you could check yourself out
      01-07-2010, 04:19 AM   #7
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Most people don't publicly disclose what they go to rehab for, and information shared between doctors and patients is privileged.
      01-07-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
arent they forced to inform the police of illegal activities though?
      01-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #9
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
of course not. its on their record. so if they get a in trouble again about anything even a front plate. it will state of the cocaine situation..

--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
335R1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:

All those people who go into rehab for drug use are basically admitting to a felony.. how come they don't go to jail?
not an admittance of criminal activity, but a mere admittance to medical disorder. In any instance, burden of proof lies within the prosecution. Voluntary admittance to a rehab shows no concrete proof that explicit drugs were use, although it is logically implied. In other word, unless you're caught red handed with cocaine by law enforcement, there's a lacking burden of proof and they can't arrest you at the door of a rehab clinic. And like somone mentioned, privilege information is held up in court within 3 groups. Doctor-patient, lawyer-client and ordained-worshipper.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #11
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
oh ok.. so you can't leave.. it is kind of like being comitted to a mental institution then.

didn't know

thanks for the clarification

I always thought you could check yourself out
as long as you are not in rehab due to court orders, you can leave when ever you want. but you are not getting back all the money you paid, and it pretty expensive, unless its one ran by the state. which might as well be like being in jail
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
good information
thanks!

now to check myself in.... j/k
      01-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Actually, if there is cocaine in your body you can be charged with possession, but generally that's close to impossible unless you have legal access to blood samples. As for rehab, there is no obligation for center to report as what you put in your body is generally your business (Problems do arise when you decide to put things in other people's bodies...). Most rehabilitation centers are voluntary in nature unless they are court ordered in which case you can STIll leave, but you'd be going straight to jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:

Your second statement is false. And we don't have felonies in Canada. There are indictable offenses, summary offenses and hybrid offense. Indictable offense would be the Canadian equivalent of felonies.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #15
335R1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Actually, if there is cocaine in your body you can be charged with possession, but generally that's close to impossible unless you have legal access to blood samples.
Not quite true. You could possibly be charged with illegal drug use, but I'm not sure about posession. I believe posession is a separate charge. Regardless that issue is separate from someone seeking medical treatment. OP, if you voluntarily check yourself into rehab, you need not worry about any reprussions from the law or the legal system. Rehab was never designed to track or punish drug users, although the court can after the fact. Even that is a separate case from yours. You're in the clear.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #16
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
nope...the only time I can break confidentiality is if the patient is truly homicidal or suicidal....and even that disclosure is limited to only the relavent information...

Drug addiction and recovery are medical conditions...the police are NEVER contacted...

Patients tell me about all kinds of illegal activites...I would never disclose this information to anyone...for any reason...

I still don't fully understand how the police get the toxicology reports when people come into the ER after having been in an accident...this is the only example that I am aware of where information gets disclosed without your permission...

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #17
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335R1 View Post
Not quite true. You could possibly be charged with illegal drug use, but I'm not sure about posession. I believe posession is a separate charge. Regardless that issue is separate from someone seeking medical treatment. OP, if you voluntarily check yourself into rehab, you need not worry about any reprussions from the law or the legal system. Rehab was never designed to track or punish drug users, although the court can after the fact. Even that is a separate case from yours. You're in the clear.
There may be differences between various states laws, but in Illinois, I have charged a suspect with possession in a DUI arrest where their blood work showed use of several controlled substances. As for medical conditions being exclusively covered by the docs, that's true unless the case is initiated by the police. Then, even HIPPA rules dont apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #18
deamon32
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i

Some states, such as Arizona, treat your body as a container. So if you have an illegal drug in your system you are pretty much screwed. Other states you actually need to be busted while possessing the illegal drug to really get in trouble.
      01-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

is somebody thinking of going into rehab?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #20
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Drugs are bad.
      01-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #21
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

I dont know how much fun rehab is do you watch that show on a&e I mean people going to rehab and getting of drugs they do multiple times a day for years doesnt seem like a cakewalk. It looks extremely painful mentally and psychically.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #22
deamon32
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@EMS View Post
I dont know how much fun rehab is do you watch that show on a&e I mean people going to rehab and getting of drugs they do multiple times a day for years doesnt seem like a cakewalk. It looks extremely painful mentally and psychically.
I went to rehab for Coke for a day... I wasn't into the whole finding a higher power crap, I was the one addicted and I was the one that was going to have to fight that and not some higher power which is why I left after just a day.

Anyways I talked to two of the guys in there who have been doing coke for a looooong time and those talks alone made me quit right and then and there. But even after 6 years of being sober (I still drink without any addiction problems) there are still some strong cravings and its a never ending battle.