BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #111
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
I guess I need to find someone around here with a completely catless car and see how bad it is... Would hate to leave power on the table if I didn't have to!
Honestly like others have said you (in the cabin) will smell nothing unless your at a stop on a tail wind day, you reverse into your own exhaust plume. The only people that will smell you are the cars behind you. You and the wife are in the clear!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #112
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01
Quote:
I guess I need to find someone around here with a completely catless car and see how bad it is... Would hate to leave power on the table if I didn't have to!
Honestly like others have said you (in the cabin) will smell nothing unless your at a stop on a tail wind day, you reverse into your own exhaust plume. The only people that will smell you are the cars behind you. You and the wife are in the clear!
My friends always complain when I'm WOT in front of them. I just tell them that if their car was faster they wouldn't have to smell my exhaust

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #113
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
My friends always complain when I'm WOT in front of them. I just tell them that if their car was faster they wouldn't have to smell my exhaust
Perfect!!
      07-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #114
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Just weld in some high quality 100 cell cats and call it a day. In reading, it appears that the power will pretty much identical to the catless version.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #115
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Just weld in some high quality 100 cell cats and call it a day. In reading, it appears that the power will pretty much identical to the catless version.
Not everyone is all for hacking up a 2000 dollar hand crafted, TIG welded, SS321 (Ti in the SS) x-pipe. I know I would not be.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #116
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
Not everyone is all for hacking up a 2000 dollar hand crafted, TIG welded, SS321 (Ti in the SS) x-pipe. I know I would not be.
As evidenced by the requests for catted units, there seem to be people contemplating it, but to each his own, my man. I want a no-smelling, emissions-passing, catted X pipe, so I'll find a way to make it happen.

It also helps to have a friend that's a (practicing) certified welding instructor who has extensive Ti welding experience
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #117
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As evidenced by the requests for catted units, there seem to be people contemplating it, but to each his own, my man. I want a no-smelling, emissions-passing, catted X pipe, so I'll find a way to make it happen.

It also helps to have a friend that's a (practicing) certified welding instructor who has extensive Ti welding experience
Your last statement is a pretty big point lol. If we all had a friend like that the world would be a better place.

I have to admit I don't really care to much about those in back of me in traffic for the few moments I'm there before disappearing into the sunset. With that said i'd pick up the 100 CEL HFC version if it were offered but don't see it as a breaking point to not make the purchase because its not. Also not all states have emissions laws
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #118
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your last statement is a pretty big point lol. If we all had a friend like that the world would be a better place.

I have to admit I don't really care to much about those in back of me in traffic for the few moments I'm there before disappearing into the sunset. With that said i'd pick up the 100 CEL HFC version if it were offered but don't see it as a breaking point to not make the purchase because its not. Also not all states have emissions laws
I agree, it shouldn't be a breaking point, and it won't be *lol*.

About your last statement....so, those guys with the chipped diesel engines and 7" exhausts that bellow smoke out of their pick ups....when driving in front of you for those brief moments in traffic....cool with them, too?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #119
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Why do I find myself backing up all the time with my windows down and enjoying the smell
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #120
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I tried an awesome catless xpipe once and my car had already seemed to run a bit rich. With the xpipe I felt a strange wetness and also a weird taste in my mouth. I later learned I had a slight leak which likely made the smell worse.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #121
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

You're still going to get a lot of smell with 100cpi cars. I know I do with the Akra EVO. If you're going to add cats, might as well make it 200cpi. There's no difference in power according to Evolve as long as they're further back in the secondary position.

It becomes a definite concern when a motorcycle cop pulls up behind you at a light, which has happened a few times to me. Luckily, the start/Stop activated those times.

Last edited by aus; 07-10-2013 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #122
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You're still going to get a lot of smell with 100cpi cars. I know I do with the Akra EVO. If you're going to add cats, might as well make it 200cpi. There's no difference in power according to Evolve as long as they're further back in the secondary position.

It becomes a definite concern when a motorcycle cop pulls up behind you at a light, which has happened a few times to me. Luckily, the start/Stop activated those times.
I definitely notice it to with my Akra, but I never use start/stop. Can't stand that feature. It does work better in the M3's vs the new F series cars IMO.

I've been given an exhaust ticket once before on my E60 M5 w/ Dinan rear section, but have never heard of cops getting someone with a newer M3 for "smelly exhaust".. It wouldn't surprise me though, California is on a serious mission.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #123
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree, it shouldn't be a breaking point, and it won't be *lol*.

About your last statement....so, those guys with the chipped diesel engines and 7" exhausts that bellow smoke out of their pick ups....when driving in front of you for those brief moments in traffic....cool with them, too?
Sure, smelling fuel for a couple a moments never killed anyone. Think back far enough and all cars were this way. I was surprised the amount of catless cars and trucks in my area. Coming from the North east I rather enjoy the time warp for those brief moments. I grew up in the garage and around the race track so manbe it bothers me a little less.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #124
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure, smelling fuel for a couple a moments never killed anyone. Think back far enough and all cars were this way. I was surprised the amount of catless cars and trucks in my area. Coming from the North east I rather enjoy the time warp for those brief moments. I grew up in the garage and around the race track so manbe it bothers me a little less.

You have it easy *lol*. Here in TX, there are countless turbo diesels that aren't stock, a *lot* are chipped, and have these exhausts that make riced out cars green w/envy. And when they romp on it, they trail these *huge* plumes of acrid black smoke behind them. Not so awesome....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #125
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:

Aus, you are an effing genius man. You've managed to identify the only good use for the Start/Stop function. I will now use it exclusively when police are nearby. Thank you for this valuable pearl of wisdom. lol

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #126
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Aus, you are an effing genius man. You've managed to identify the only good use for the Start/Stop function. I will now use it exclusively when police are nearby. Thank you for this valuable pearl of wisdom. lol
Glad to be of service, but both times, the cop (one car and another time a motorcycle) pulled up much later after I had stopped at the light. I was just happy it shut down the motor while I was waiting. I tend to use it regularly now. I don't think it saves that much gas, but it may save a ticket and the trouble of installing the X-pipe twice.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #127
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad to be of service, but both times, the cop (one car and another time a motorcycle) pulled up much later after I had stopped at the light. I was just happy it shut down the motor while I was waiting. I tend to use it regularly now. I don't think it saves that much gas, but it may save a ticket and the trouble of installing the X-pipe twice.

I feel fortunate I don't have to deal with this problem. Im happy someone found a good use for the cars equipped with start/stop.

Any word how many pre-orders have been placed so far????
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #128
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

malek would be in the best position to answer. shoot him a PM

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #129
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire
malek would be in the best position to answer. shoot him a PM
I just got on the list myself. I'll just ask when he gets back to me with the confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #130
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

UPDATE - Higher gains measured in new dyo runs

Introduction:
Went back to EAS recently just to see if adaptations on my car resulted in any improvements (or worsening) of performance with the MRF midpipe on my car. I was expecting to see no gains, and maybe a little loss since ambient temperatures and humidity were higher than on my previous MRF midpipe run. That didn't happen - we saw measurable gains.

Summary: The MRF midpipe now measures, 24HP/18TQ PEAK gains over the AKRA, consistent 30HP/25TQ gains throughout the midrange, and Top End gains of 28HP/18 TQ over the akra. My car is now putting down 581 HP/377 TQ, on 91 octane.

Here is a quick synopsis (I'll update with something more replete when I'm not at work):

Conditions and Results:

I've laid the results out below in two separate STD graphs below. The green line is the best of my runs on the akra midipe; the red line is the best of my previous runs on the MRF midpipe run - in other words the green and red lines are the exact same dyno runs/graphs as in my initial post. The new blue line is the best of 3 runs done with the MRF midpipe just yesterday(July 18, 2013). Each of the three runs were within one or two horsepower of one another (so very consistent results), and were all higher than my runs from about a month ago where i initially measured the MRF mid pipe (by about 7-12hp) , despite temperatures and humidity also being measurably higher this time around.

As with before, I've included vertical lines at 6250 RPM to show midrange gains, and 8250 to show gains at traditional redline (again, this is relevant because my car's rev limiter is raised to 8600 RPM).

Comparing the MRF gains over the Akra, we will be comparing the Blue Line (newest MRF run), to the Green Line (original Akra Run). The Red Line (previous MRF run) is only there by way of reference for people who want to see exactly how the power bands lined up.

Again this is all on Shell 91 Octane. No other modifications have been made to my car since last time.

Vertical Line at 6250 RPM

Vertical Line at 8250 RPM

For whatever reason I couldn't get the conditions to show here on this graph (evidently I don't know how to use this software nearly as well as EAS haha), so here they are listed below.

Akra Run (green line) - Temp: 94.72F, Humidity:4%, STD: 1.01
Initial MRF Run (red line) - Temp: 84.35F, Humidity 24%, STD: 1.02
Most Recent MRF run (blue line) - Temp: 86.16 F, Humidity 26%, STD: 1.02

Discussion & Analysis

Whereas before PEAK gains over the Akra were 16.5 HP/ TQ, the NEW runs measured 24 HP/ and 18 TQ peak gains over the Akra Midpipe.

Again the most impressive part of the whole thing to me are the mid-range torque and HP gains created by the MRF midpipe. They are WAY higher than the Akra Mid. The MRF midpipe is now measuring a consistent midrange delta's of ~30HP/25TQ over the Akra. By way of reference, the graph with the 6250 RPM vertical line is actually measuring a 31 HP/26 TQ gain over the akra at that RPM point. This makes the car feel like a fucking rocket. Pardon my french.

The MRF midpipe also measured more top end gains than its already-impressive previously measured gains over the Akra. Whereas before, at 8250 RPMS, the MRF midpipe measured 22 HP/14TQ gains over the Akra (see dyno graph in my initial post) - the newest runs now measured 28HP gains/18 TQ gains over the Akra.

The net result is that my car is now putting down 581 peak hp, on 91 octane.

Just wanted to share the update for those who were curious.

Last edited by esquire; 07-20-2013 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #131
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

The net result is that my car is now putting down 581 peak hp, on 91 octane.

Just wanted to share the update for those who were curious.

you are killing me with this! Wish I had the funds to spring for this now
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #132
Phanto///M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Cant wait to put this x-pipe on my car
Appreciate 0