BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #45
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Very nice gains
I think Drew needs to switch out his X with this one (if there's any more left) and give it a try to see if it makes more power for the VT3's. Sh*t should have asked him yesterday at HRE.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #46
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Very nice gains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I think Drew needs to switch out his X with this one (if there's any more left) and give it a try to see if it makes more power for the VT3's. Sh*t should have asked him yesterday at HRE.

Thanks img. I think img and DSLJ5 (drew) both need to try this X out. If it can post gains on cars like theirs, cars already putting out some of the highest numbers on this forum (maybe the highest?), then we know something is seriously up with this kit.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #47
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Thanks img. I think img and DSLJ5 (drew) both need to try this X out. If it can post gains on cars like theirs, cars already putting out some of the highest numbers on this forum (maybe the highest?), then we know something is seriously up with this kit.
Im redoing my exhaust system.the 2.5'' xpipe aren't doing it for me. I'll post some pics soon
Love your car btw
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #48
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im redoing my exhaust system.the 2.5'' xpipe aren't doing it for me. I'll post some pics soon
Love your car btw

Thanks man. Feeling is mutual. That's insane that 2.5" isn't working for you. Does your car need more flow (i.e. wider piping?)

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #49
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sound of MRF X-Pipe

For those curious about how the MRF X-pipe sounds when mated to the Akra Rear, check out Longboarder's video HERE.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #50
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Love your car btw
THAT is WTH I'm talking about. The 2.25"-2.5" may be great for NA cars, but the s/c'ed cars need a 3-3.5" exhaust. Glad someone else has been thinking the same thing, although I'm pretty sure we're going about it in different ways *lol*
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #51
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Love your car btw
Quote:
Thanks man. Feeling is mutual. That's insane that 2.5" isn't working for you. Does your car need more flow (i.e. wider piping?)
With the unstoppable godly power that img is throwing down, I would definitely expect larger piping to be rather beneficial. If I were his exhaust fabricator, I'd make him a 2" ID midpipe. I know if I made something larger than 2.75" ID, his car would cause unwanted seismic activity on the East Coast inducing a large Tsunami off the Atlantic Ocean.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #52
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
With the unstoppable godly power that img is throwing down, I would definitely expect larger piping to be rather beneficial. If I were his exhaust fabricator, I'd make him a 2" ID midpipe. I know if I made something larger than 2.75" ID, his car would cause unwanted seismic activity on the East Coast inducing a large Tsunami off the Atlantic Ocean.
LMAO Bro
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #53
Kaane
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i

Can't use results if they were not dynoed back to back. I saw 20-30whp differences on dyno on bubu's VT1 Kit last year at EAS just on different days.

10-15 degree difference or humidity makes a huge difference how these cars react. Next time please dyno before and after on same day if possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #54
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Would this give 16hp/16tq on an NA application as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #55
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaane View Post
Can't use results if they were not dynoed back to back. I saw 20-30whp differences on dyno on bubu's VT1 Kit last year at EAS just on different days.

10-15 degree difference or humidity makes a huge difference how these cars react. Next time please dyno before and after on same day if possible.

The graphs are temperature and humidity corrected. If you've read my posts throughout, I don't argue that temperature and humidity could not have played a role here, in fact I admit they can. My point is that after STD/SAE correction, what little hasn't been corrected for, cannot explain the size of the gains.

One thing you don't distinguish above is whether the 20-30 whp differences you say on bubu's car were while viewing uncorrected or corrected graphs. I personally have never seen 20-30 whp differentials on a corrected graph, if you're talking about the exact same car, same mods, same fuel, etc. I can certainly see those kinds of differentials happening on an uncorrected graph.

Another important factor here is that the weather conditions tugged in opposite directions. On day 1 (dynoing the Akra Midpipe), the temperature was hotter, but the Humidity was very low. On day 2, (dyoing the MRF midpipe) the temperature was cooler, but the humidity was considerably higher.

I will definitely try to get another dyno day going soon, and try to do back to back runs of the Akra and MRF (and maybe even OEM midpipes). Might be some time away though Thanks for the feedback.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #56
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
Doubtful. There's more power to be had by optimizing the flow path of the exhaust with cat removal + larger diameter piping than on a N/A car.

The most power to be had on N/A cars comes with primary cat removal ( +tune).
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #57
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
Doubtful. There's more power to be had by optimizing the flow path of the exhaust with cat removal + larger diameter piping than on a N/A car.

The most power to be had on N/A cars comes with primary cat removal ( +tune).
Momo, if you're talking about over stock, yes. This is corroborated by Longboarder's dyno linked above, where he shows not only gains that big or bigger over his OEM exhaust, but also torque deltas of almost 50TQ at certain parts of the rev band.

It's also corroborated by our discussion (mine and longboarder's) of Malek@MRF's car which is putting down slightly higher than 400 HP to the wheels, using nothing other than the MRF (full) exhaust) and a tune. No intake, no pulleys, nothing else.

But, if you're talking about N/A gains over AKRA, then that's another story. I'm not aware of any dyno's of the MRF Midpipe compared to an AKRA midpipe on an N/A car. I'm assuming this is the situation //M3THOD was referring to when he said doubtful. While i wouldn't go so far as to say doubtful, I would reserve judgment for a proper dyno on an N/A car.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #58
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
Momo, if you're talking about over stock, yes. This is corroborated by Longboarder's dyno linked above, where he shows not only gains that big or bigger over his OEM exhaust, but also torque deltas of almost 50TQ at certain parts of the rev band.

It's also corroborated by our discussion (mine and longboarder's) of Malek@MRF's car which is putting down slightly higher than 400 HP to the wheels, using nothing other than the MRF (full) exhaust) and a tune. No intake, no pulleys, nothing else.

But, if you're talking about N/A gains over AKRA, then that's another story. I'm not aware of any dyno's of the MRF Midpipe compared to an AKRA midpipe on an N/A car. I'm assuming this is the situation //M3THOD was referring to when he said doubtful. While i wouldn't go so far as to say doubtful, I would reserve judgment for a proper dyno on an N/A car.
I meant over an akra. I already have test pipes on my car, but if this were to give 16hp/16torque MORE, then that would be exciting! But sounds like this will only benefit SC cars
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #59
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I meant over an akra. I already have test pipes on my car, but if this were to give 16hp/16torque MORE, then that would be exciting! But sounds like this will only benefit SC cars
I don't think that's the take away here. I surmise you will get gains, there is just no measurement before us at the moment of how much gains. Plus you're not on an Akra, you're on test pipes. Akra produces more power than test pipes.In other words, gains over test pipes are easier to make than gains over Akra.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #60
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
I don't think that's the take away here. I surmise you will get gains, there is just no measurement before us at the moment of how much gains. Plus you're not on an Akra, you're on test pipes. Akra produces more power than test pipes.In other words, gains over test pipes are easier to make than gains over Akra.
Wellll, I think it's debatable that the akra would make more power than test pipes. Smaller diameter piping being the main reason, but regardless, I'm sure they are within a few hp of each other.

But thanks for the insight! I see what you are saying. There may be some gains, but we don't know for sure since no one has tested it. Hopefully someone will try soon
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #61
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, G82 M4

Hello everyone,

I have read this thread over in good detail and I am going to do my best to clarify and answer everyone's questions in this post. I am not going to quote every person and respond individually because I am hoping this response will help address any of those curiosities and/or questions. Let me clarify a few things about the MRF Engineering Velaforza mid-section. It is not like all the other systems that have been made for the S65B40 power plant. The system is 100% and fully engineered for the S65B40 engine and does not employ standardized procedures in its design.

1) The system utilizes a true Motorsport X merge in the pipe which is TIG welded, not MIG. The system is also constructed of SS321, not SS304. All other systems to date use the balance tube design and not a true flow optimized X. The other systems out there, are using 2 curved tubes that are tangentially cut and mated together, some are even using off the shelf Borla or Magnaflow units. The factory system is designed this way as well. When it comes to power, volumetric efficiency and exhaust system scavenging, the balance tube design is inferior to the flow optimized Motorsport X-design, but it is also tremendously easier to manufacture in mass quantities. Now for obvious reasons, we will not divulge the proprietary specifications as to what goes on inside of that X with respect to its sizing, radius or merge angle.

2) The position of the “X” is moved as close to the transmission as possible, where it should be. The majority of other systems available do not do this because of system packaging and fitment into the E9x under body. It also makes it very difficult to add catalysts or resonators to the system. The factory configuration is most ideal if one wants to have flexibility in their system by being able to add resonators or catalysts.

3 )I have seen quite a few people post in here regarding piping diameter. Unfortunately most of these posts are improper or misrepresentative. What is not being mentioned is that unless the primaries from the exhaust manifold (header) and into the factory 4-1 collector are changed in sizing, switching up to a 3" or 3.5" pipe will offer almost no gain and will hurt low RPM range torque output. How do we know this? We built a 3" version of the MRF Velaforza system and it only hurt torque and did not improve HP output. This was also done on a fully built, supercharged M3. After tuning, the low RPM range torque loss was not recoverable and no appreciable gains were found. 2.5" diameter piping is well more than enough, even on ESS VT3 equipped cars , given the mid-section system is flow optimized. To clarify on the Akrapovic system, it is 2.39” I.D. piping, not 2.25” based on my digital vernier caliper.

4) The MRF system as mentioned earlier is an engineered system for this car. During the prototyping phase, the system was fully tested on a flow bench to optimize scavenging and system efficiency.

5) 100 Cell catalysts VS. Catless. Power wise, there is almost no difference at all, especially when high quality catalysts are used. If cheap units are used, they will eventually clog and restrict flow. In many cases, cheaper systems choke up the flow when excessively heated. This would not be the case with Akrapovic catalysts or HJS units. 100 CPI cats were tested during the prototyping phase of the MRF pipe and saw no difference in power and volume. The only aspect of the system that was affected was overall weight and it reduced a small amount of rasp, however overall volume was not changed. The MRF Velaforza mid-section was never produced with catalysts and never will be.

6) The effect on the naturally aspirated S65 M3 is substantial. Peak RWHP gains up to 28 RWHP along with 22 RWTQ and amazingly up to 35 RWHP and 40 RWTQ gains in the mid-range (if not greater) along with a smoother power curve. The dyno below illustrates the gains. The runs were done on the same day, same dyno, same tank of gas (Chevron 91 octane) in the same climate conditions. The only thing missing here were the use of fans in front of the car during the dyno session. 1 week later, the same car on the same dyno, this time with a tune, and fans in front of the vehicle, put out 404 RWHP. No other bolt on mods are installed on this car.

7) Sound. The Velaforza system was initially designed to be used as a complete set. The mid-section was tested on many axle back systems and not to our surprise, a lot of the typical rear section systems could not tame the MRF mid-section. The only other rear section that does a great job of controlling the inherently motorsport type sound of the mid-section is the MRF rear section and the well-known and popular Akrapovic. The MRF mid-section is very exciting when it comes to sound compared to other cat-less mid-sections available on the market. It really feels like a true motorsport, drivers car with it with some F1 undertones. Only if it could rev up to 12,000+ RPM... I personally love it as do some of the other guys that have it. Subjectively, it is daily drivable with the Akrapovic rear section. The initial batch of the MRF rear sections utilized finer perforated tubing and larger portions of the tubing to control the sound of the MRF mid-section. Over some time we realized that some may just want to use the rear section just on its own, so therefore the production versions we reduced the amount of perforated tubing so it wouldn’t be as docile if paired with a factory mid-section. The finalized version of the MRF rear section is louder than the prototype and it ended up introducing some minor drone into the cabin, whereas before it was as drone-free as the Akrapovic Evolution, however still daily drivable. The MRF paired with the Akrapovic rear is a great combination of excitement and civility with virtually no in cabin drone.

Below is a YouTube clip of the MRF full system in its final iteration. One clip is on the dyno, one clip is a GoPro bumper mounted camera.

8) Weight… The MRF mid-section weighs 19.6 lbs with all clamps and hardware (not including the 2 factory mid-section to rear section clamps, and not including the 4 factory nuts and bolts that mate the system to the header)

9) Last but not least... System availability. The MRF mid-section was a limited production system that was released at Bimmerfest 2011. The system sold out rather quickly. Since the posting of this thread by esquire, we have received many inquiries about this mid-section. Given the interest we are seeing for the MRF mid-pipe, we are strongly considering placing the system back into production on a pre-order basis.

-Malek@MRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Good info. Looks like the first run was also 10 degrees hotter?

I could see the 100cpi cats/resonator causing some restriction on a blown car. It's way more gas flow than it was designed for. Evolve did pressure test on their X-pipe and didn't see much loss with the 200cpi cats in the secondary position, but I'm guessing that was on a FBO motor.
Maybe they could do another test on a blown motor??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
The Akra x-pipe is 2.25" piping. I believe the MRF x-pipe is 2.5" or greater. That is where A LOT of the power gains are made. I'm sure moving the X up helps a ton as well; Gintani has been doing that since the beginning and they have been making a ton of power from just their x-pipe as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
what about the weight difference between the two?
Quote:
Love your car btw
Quote:

Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr
Phone: 949-233-0448 | E-Mail: info@mrfengineering.com

Last edited by Malek@MRF; 06-25-2013 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #62
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^ The TQ delta in that graph is insane. There's about a 45 TQ gain over stock in a huge chunk of that graph.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #63
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: :O

Garage List
Quote:
^ The TQ delta in that graph is insane. There's about a 45 TQ gain over stock in a huge chunk of that graph.
You're looking at the HP graph, not the torque. They are scaled differently.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #64
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

It's interesting that Malek didn't get any gains on a blown car with larger diameter tubing.
Thanks for the nice write up.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #65
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, G82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
It's interesting that Malek didn't get any gains on a blown car with larger diameter tubing.
Thanks for the nice write up.
You are welcome. Hopefully it helps with the understanding of systems methodolgy and design philosophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
You're looking at the HP graph, not the torque. They are scaled differently.
The TQ scaling is on the right side of the graph and the gains are 40 RWTQ, give or take.

Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr
Phone: 949-233-0448 | E-Mail: info@mrfengineering.com
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #66
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Wow. I have to sit down.
Looking for an SUV