BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

01-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
JtBlk M3
JtBlk M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 DCT

NYC front license plates :(

does anybody know of a way to get around having to put on the front plates....it is required in ny and nj..but i was just wondering if theres anything i can do, or any sort of alternatives. iam not a big fan of having in stcuk into the dash inside the car so its visible thru the front windshield..thats a little to import/civic-ish for my taste... what do you guys from nyc do? man up and put it on? lol
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtBlk M3 View Post
does anybody know of a way to get around having to put on the front plates....it is required in ny and nj..but i was just wondering if theres anything i can do, or any sort of alternatives. iam not a big fan of having in stcuk into the dash inside the car so its visible thru the front windshield..thats a little to import/civic-ish for my taste... what do you guys from nyc do? man up and put it on? lol
I hear you .... such a shame to have to spoil the front with that plate that no one ever looks at. After all when the cops take your number electronic or otherwise it is always from the back.

The only way around it is ... keep it under your seat and if stopped tell the officer, I am just on my way to get it mounted

The other alternative/option would be to move to one of the areas in the US or Canada where only a rear plate is required. No pun intended.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
88Mph
Rep
Drives: C240

nyc has its coffers empty and stuff like this is easy money. It isn't worth the ticket for me. i am not liking the solution i use with the tow hook mounts but it will have to do until i go to a no front plate state.

i heard there was an auto FP holder that you can hide underneath the bumper or bring up to a centered position. but i haven't done any research on that. i guess that way if you get pulled over or are parked you could just flip it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
jeffnnj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

I don't have my front plate mounted more due to peer pressure from friends at my dealership then personal distaste. A lot of us drive M cars and none have front plates mounted. However, on our cars it really doesn't look awful. We also don't mount them on customers cars until we are told to do so by the customer. We always do ask. On certain cars they really do look awful. The Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstace literally have no room on their front grills and they happen to look horrible. I have never had an issue but if I ever did, I wouldn't hesitate to put it on.
2002 M3 Convertible Titanium Silver/Black(retired)
1998 328i Convertible Arctic Silver/Gray(retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Either use the tow hook mount option.
Drill holes and run the plate.
Or run no plate and get the tickets.

you can only make up an excuse the first time they pull you over to
get out of getting a ticket. After that it wont work, they put it into
there system. I ran no front plate on my previous car for 4 years
they used to pull me over and before they even asked id say "it looks like shit"
and they would laugh give me the ticket and walk away. Eventually after 10 tickets they said
they would summon me to court for a much larger fine if I got pulled over again
so I mounted it on the side grill. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkap View Post
Either use the tow hook mount option.
Drill holes and run the plate.
Or run no plate and get the tickets.

you can only make up an excuse the first time they pull you over to
get out of getting a ticket. After that it wont work, they put it into
there system. I ran no front plate on my previous car for 4 years
they used to pull me over and before they even asked id say "it looks like shit"
and they would laugh give me the ticket and walk away. Eventually after 10 tickets they said
they would summon me to court for a much larger fine if I got pulled over again
so I mounted it on the side grill. lol
Good for you so you had 4 happy years so did I in Alberta then I had to mount that front plate here

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

Im in NYC and there is no way im putting mine on and drilling through my bumper. If anything like I had to go upstate and travel the thruway or something and I knew the troopers were out or NJ, maybe I would use twisties and you can come up with some sort of rubber backing to put on the back of the plate so it doesnt scratch the car, and just hang it temporarily?? The tow thing is an option as well, but I think that looks kinda ugly.
although I guess it is more of a permanent option.....

I dont know, im not putting it on, plain and simple, ill use my charm if they pull me over

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

I have mine easy on/off. It is a simple ankor mount, that mounts front plate on front "grill". I drive with plate off and try to park in parking lots or garages. If I have to park on street, I quickly do put the plate on to avoid being ticketed.

There was a thread about types of front plate mounts... and there is a description of a very easy one no drilling involved... I will find that thread and post link here later
      01-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F95 X5 M C, '11.5 E92 M3 C

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
When ordered my car in Nov I specifically asked for no front plate bracket to be mounted and to leave it in the trunk for me. When I picked up my car on Dec 23rd, it was exactly as I asked for.

I told my CA (who is really cool!) that when I get home I'll use 3M body molding tape to affix the bracket to the car so I stay legal. I don't need tickets to jack up my insurance even more than it is now. NYC law enforcement are ticket happy. You will be ticketed for anything. If you are parked on the street in Manhattan and your inspection sticker is expired just one day they will ticket you. Don't ask me how I know!!

I rather be legal and not worry about every cop that drives by then to drive worrying about a ticket. Peace of mind for me to just enjoy driving the car instead of worrying.

On my X5 it's been mounted that way for years and it hasn't fallen off and is still secure.

Either way, this is how I mount mine. When it comes time to sell the car, the new owner will know there's NO holes in the bumper if he chooses to remove the front bracket.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Have a read on this thread

CLICK

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

http://www.gominigo.com/
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

I really don't want to drill any holes either when I get my vert. Here's a simple solution, although you'll still have a front plate.

http://http://www.e90post.com/forums...d.php?t=374893

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I use the skene design one. Looks like it is drilled in like an OEM plate holder but there are no holes in the front so if you decide to take it off down the road, the only holes will be the two tiny ones under the lip of the bumper which no one will ever see.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #14
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Front plate could be the ugliest thing you can do to a car... (OK, there are a lot of other ugly things but that's up there) Haha
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
shamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3, 2017 X5M

I'm not sure how strictly enforced the plate issue is in your area. I live in NJ and a front plate is required, however in the past 14 or so years of owning a car, I have never had a front plate. I have been ticketed roughly 4 times. Each time, it is a $43 ticket. I think I can afford that.
      01-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #16
greycrx87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 ZCP

IL requires one too, I have been driving all my bimmers for 7 years without front plate and never got a ticket for it...
      01-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #17
Elaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92m

how about the tow bracket.looks like this.better then putting holes in your bumper.then you'll have to get those nasty looking plugs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #18
stevenross
General
Rep
Drives: a ride

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW X5 3.Slow  [0.00]
Quote:
try looking into the rho plate.. its what i am using.. goes into the tow hook..
'08 X5 3.Slow / Saphire Black Metallic on Black - Retained
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #19
JtBlk M3
JtBlk M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 DCT

hey thanks so much all you guys, everybody's been super helpful thanks for all the advice and suggestions!
ELAZ thats a sick photo and i like the plate in the tow hook spot off to the side..looks real sporty and allows you to avoid the holes, thank god i asked the dealer not to drill any! i think i just visually have to get used to the idea of it being off to the side like that tho...that, or just taking the risk of getting the ticket..which pretty much sucks haha..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #20
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Ditto on tow hook plate for me. Don't want holes or tickets... or any extra hassle dealing with the ticket(s) even if they are only $43 bucks
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #21
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

does anyone know what the mm size is for the tow area?? Im honestly just lazy and hoped someone would know off the top of their head..

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #22
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
im on my 6th no front plate ticket. i bite the bullet because i absolutely refuse to put them on. What pisses me off is that there is no solution, as i have been given a ticket for putting the plate on the dashboard. so once the traffic cop strolls by he will tag you. Ive been pulled over 5 times and no comments about the lack of the front plate.