BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Rental car insurance

Anyone with any REAL experience with the 'deluxe' (or whatever the hell they call it) rental car insurance?
Does it ACTUALLY cover all damage? There has to be fine print somewhere, no?
If I run the car off a cliff, is it covered?

(don't bother mentioning that credit card covers it, because after doing research on that, this seems to be almost entirely useless).
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
My Mercury insurance policy covers any car I drive under the same terms as it covers my own car. Perhaps you should check with your insurance company before paying $25/day for rental insurance?
      05-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
My Mercury insurance policy covers any car I drive under the same terms as it covers my own car. Perhaps you should check with your insurance company before paying $25/day for rental insurance?
oh I know that my insurance does, but it acts as the primary insurer, and if anything happens to the car it hits my insurance...just like a normal accident.

Usually when I rent cars it's for thousands of miles of driving, and not having to worry about in the slightest would be awesome
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
oh I know that my insurance does, but it acts as the primary insurer, and if anything happens to the car it hits my insurance...just like a normal accident.

Usually when I rent cars it's for thousands of miles of driving, and not having to worry about in the slightest would be awesome
Even if you get insurance though the rental agency and get into an accident, they will report it to DMV, therefore your insurance company will find out about it sooner or later. At the renewal time they will see an accident and will jack up your rates accordingly. Even if the accident is not your fault, if will still show up on your record and affect your rates.
      05-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Even if you get insurance though the rental agency and get into an accident, they will report it to DMV, therefore your insurance company will find out about it sooner or later. At the renewal time they will see an accident and will jack up your rates accordingly. Even if the accident is not your fault, if will still show up on your record and affect your rates.
negative sir, when it comes to accidents, insurance companies only REALLY care about what they have to pay out on.
I'm 99% sure about that one.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
negative sir, when it comes to accidents, insurance companies only REALLY care about what they have to pay out on.
Well, I guess insurance companies in California didn't get the memo.

I went though 3 different insurance companies in the past 2 years. Every single one jacked up my rates as soon as they saw accidents on my record.

Mercury originally refused to insure me. I have 1 at-fault accident ($900 worth of damage paid by another insurance company) and 3 not-at-fault accidents. They claimed that I am a bad driver for getting into the accidents even though 2 of out 3 i was rear-ended white sitting at the light and another one had my car hit on a parking lot, while I was inside starbucks getting coffe. After 2 of those accidents fell off my record due to being over 3 years old, I was able to get insured with Mercury but at a higher price. After another accident fell off, they dropped the rates at the time of renewal.

Mind you, it was the same story with AAA, Liberty Mutual and Geico. They do care for the payout amount, even though it was paid by another company.

Also, in California, as soon as your insurance policy is cancelled or expires, insurance company notifies DMV within 48 hours and your drivers license gets suspended immediately
      05-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #7
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

Quote:
Well, I guess insurance companies in California didn't get the memo.

I went though 3 different insurance companies in the past 2 years. Every single one jacked up my rates as soon as they saw accidents on my record.

Mercury originally refused to insure me. I have 1 at-fault accident ($900 worth of damage paid by another insurance company) and 3 not-at-fault accidents. They claimed that I am a bad driver for getting into the accidents even though 2 of out 3 i was rear-ended white sitting at the light and another one had my car hit on a parking lot, while I was inside starbucks getting coffe. After 2 of those accidents fell off my record due to being over 3 years old, I was able to get insured with Mercury but at a higher price. After another accident fell off, they dropped the rates at the time of renewal.

Mind you, it was the same story with AAA, Liberty Mutual and Geico. They do care for the payout amount, even though it was paid by another company.

Also, in California, as soon as your insurance policy is cancelled or expires, insurance company notifies DMV within 48 hours and your drivers license gets suspended immediately
License gets suspended? Don't you mean registration? There is no way they can suspend your DL for not having insurance! You must be brain washed by those stupid radio commercials.

Op, I say you get that premium insurance through the rental agency. A buddy of mine had a solo TC about two years ago and the accident never appeared on his record.
      05-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
License gets suspended? Don't you mean registration?
Yes, that's what I meant
      05-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Not sure where you got that. SF bases their rates off a credit system that no agent employee has any control over. It accounts for all events on driving record and does not differentiate by who paid out.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0