BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-18-2011, 05:00 AM   #67
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by endofanera7 View Post
I dont think skipping gears as you downshift is the best advice for the OP right now.

Why not , he wants to practice right. Same concept/steps, just more of a blip. Plus it's usable in real world situations so it doesn't make sense not to practice these type of downshifts.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:07 AM   #68
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
lulz I will teach you how to, and then maybe when your DCT lease is up, you can get back to a 6MT
Heh, who died & made you the expert? And, where do you get the idea that I need a lesson on heel-and-toe/rev-matching w/ MT? Stick to beutifying your car, plz. I leased 6MT 2008 M3 before my current 2011 DCT M3 - i.e. it's not like I haven't driven 6MT M3.

By the way, you seem to be missing the point that the most of manual rev-matching is a best-attempt approximation. Plz don't make me laugh insisting that you can actually rev-match PERFECTLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Ok please enough of DCT vs 6MT talk, it was fun at the beginning but it is getting boring and out of control now. Whatever DCT is, I chose 6MT for my specific reasons and if I had to choose again now, I would still get a manual M3!
Now back to topic, I can smothly drive except downshifting and rev matching. I want to hear more hints from 6MT drivers about rev matching and the best way to practice to get better at it.

Thanks
Sorry that made me laugh.

Anyhow, slowing down to a red light or stop sign is a perfect time to practice your rev-matching. You can go through the gears, 4-3-2, or skip gears like 5-3. As mentioned, the more you do it, the easier it gets.
lulz. OP, if you don't see why that's funny, then...

Quote:
Anyhow, slowing down to a red light or stop sign is a perfect time to practice your rev-matching. You can go through the gears, 4-3-2, or skip gears like 5-3. As mentioned, the more you do it, the easier it gets.
Absolutely.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:21 AM   #69
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Why not , he wants to practice right. Same concept/steps, just more of a blip. Plus it's usable in real world situations so it doesn't make sense not to practice these type of downshifts.
All I m saying is that the OP needs basic advices about rev matching. So skipping gears are not helpful for him at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Heh, who died & made you the expert? And, where do you get the idea that I need a lesson on heel-and-toe/rev-matching w/ MT? Stick to beutifying your car, plz. I leased 6MT 2008 M3 before my current 2011 DCT M3 - i.e. it's not like I haven't driven 6MT M3.

By the way, you seem to be missing the point that the most of manual rev-matching is a best-attempt approximation. Plz don't make me laugh insisting that you can actually rev-match PERFECTLY.
did I claim to be an expert or claim to be able to do it PERFECTLY? Get some glasses and I think it's well past your bed time.

and trust me, dont be fooled by the pretty look of my car
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:30 AM   #70
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

So, you're not an expert and yet, you'll teach me how to?

Your car ain't pretty, anyways. Looks like sh*t, actually.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:37 AM   #71
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So, you're not an expert and yet, you'll teach me how to?

Your car ain't pretty, anyways. Looks like sh*t, actually.
Yep. Because I know for a fact that I can drive 6MT better than you do, dont have to be an expert to teach n00bs like you

Thanks. Your M3 looks just like any other M3 in the dealership, Bone Stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:50 AM   #72
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep. Because I know for a fact that I can drive 6MT better than you do, dont have to be an expert to teach n00bs like you

Thanks. Your M3 looks just like any other M3 in the dealership, Bone Stock.
See, your interruptions in this posts is just a continuation of assumptions and personal attacks. How is your claim a FACT? Have you seen me drive a stick??

BTW, yes my M3 is bone stock and I'm damn'd proud of it. I'd rather have my stock M3 than your hideous crap.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #73
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
See, your interruptions in this posts is just a continuation of assumptions and personal attacks. How is your claim a FACT? Have you seen me drive a stick??

BTW, yes my M3 is bone stock and I'm damn'd proud of it. I'd rather have my stock M3 than your hideous crap.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #74
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

I think I realize what's going on here. See, some of you MFest guys think that mod'd car = expert driver, and bone stock car = n00b driver. What a hilarious crap that is. lulz
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #75
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think I realize what's going on here. See, some of you MFest guys think that mod'd car = expert driver, and bone stock car = n00b driver. What a hilarious crap that is. lulz
I think you are the one who makes general assumptions here. Nobody says no, it's all in your head buddy. lulz

And dont bring the MFest community into the conversation. It's about you and me, I replied to your post in this thread as a joke, you couldnt take jokes and got offended easily by it. So why be a troll if you dont wanna get trolled.

Lastly, chill out bro. Welcome to the internet.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #76
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you are the one who makes general assumptions here. Nobody says no, it's all in your head buddy. lulz

And dont bring the MFest community into the conversation. It's about you and me, I replied to your post in this thread as a joke, you couldnt take jokes and got offended easily by it. So why be a troll if you dont wanna get trolled.

Lastly, chill out bro. Welcome to the internet.
B.S. Aren't you the one who started 6MT thread on MFest forum? Don't tell me you weren't defending 6MT honor, and that you were simply joking.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #77
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
B.S. Aren't you the one who started 6MT thread on MFest forum? Don't tell me you weren't defending 6MT honor, and that you were simply joking.
oh god stop being a whinny bitch already
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:30 AM   #78
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Sure be brave behind your computer monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:44 AM   #79
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Anything else, Trung? Now that you got Chris/Laidback to ban me from MFest board, shall we continue?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #80
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by endofanera7
hey dude I never got chris to ban you on mfest. he was cleaning up the forum and I couldnt log on either.

check ur mfest page now
Nice PM, Trung. Spilling your/his actions at MFest forum onto this board is a bit much, is it? Cleaning up the forum. LOOOL Ya'll over there are a bunch of cheer-leading yahoo's, buddy
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #81
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
You two stop pretending the M3 is a freaking race car; it's a STREET CAR, and neither of you nor 99.99%+ of the owners race competitively on their M3, so NONE of you really need the advantages of faster shifting.
And I said on a 6MT you have full control of the car (which you do), not that every 6MT driver drives like a race car driver .

Nobody here is claiming to have racecar driving skills, but if you enjoy driving a 6MT, you're a true driver, no matter how skilled. Nobody was born a race car driver, so it takes practice to perfect anything, including the lost art of manual driving skills.

The difference between DCT and 6MT drivers is that we're not embarrassed to admit we're not the best drivers in the world, and we're having a lot of fun learning to drive better. So cut the crap that we pretend to be better drivers because we like to be in control because nobody here is saying that; we're only saying we're better driving enthusiasts... because we are . So you egomaniac DCT sissies should ditch your automatic toys (or leave them to your wives) and buy a real man's car while you can . This is fun. Have a good one folks.
Thanks for clarifying

Real race car drivers in real race cars use paddle shifters because they need all of the performance they can get. Wannabe race car drivers in pretend race cars drive MTs because while they are using poor driving techniques to drive their pretend race car at 40% of its capabilities and inpress the junior high school girl in the passenger seat they need to be in complete control of the car and feel connected.

I suppose there is some merit to being enthusiastic about something you are not very good at but as I said the level of insistance on the superiority of an MT tends to be inversely proportional to the ability to drive one properly.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 03-18-2011 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #82
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Care to elaborate.

I've owned both. I can downshift my 6sp with more control and often faster than my previous DCT.

6MT vs DCT ... Let the fun continue ...
You said most people are capable of doing it.

I don't think that's true.

Most people aren't experienced. You are. That is a big difference.

Like elp_jc said (even though he was partially joking ) 99.99% of the people that own this car don't track it exclusively. I used to own a stick and drove it all the time, this is my first auto. I wanted all the bells and whistles and neat things. I don't miss the stick at all. But even though I drove a stick, I wouldn't say I am capable of perfectly rev matching. Maybe sometimes I would nail it, but I think it was more luck than anything else. I honestly don't think that the majority of people are capable of it.

Last edited by Templar; 03-18-2011 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #83
col.faith
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3 edition AW

Oh boy... I love this thread =)

Personally I think there's no "honor" in driving either transmission, it's personal preference.

I chose the DCT transmission simply because I wanted some change. And I just don't get the people who are claiming manual transmission gives you more fun... in what way? By doing heel-toe downshifts yourself? Maybe I'm past that phase already, but I can only find the fun in exploring the limit of the car at corners and the thrill it brings when the car pushes you tight on the back of your seat on a straitaway. Being able to downshift and blip the throttle yourself is hardly "fun", especially if you've experienced the race cars without syncros, where you'd be forced to double-clutch instead. I can even understand that some of you might enjoy going around a race track sideways, but the car downshifting and does the blipping for you takes away the fun? I don't get it.

Truth be told, the DCT doesn't downshift perfectly, sometimes it does upset the car's balance due to an imperfect blip, but it's very manageable.

Manual and DCT transmissions both have their own merits, so this thread will never come to an end. Let's keep our preferences to ourselves and try not to convince anyone because we won't succeed in doing that. How about just leave it as "both are great options", and call it a day?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #84
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:

That may be true for automakers in general, but how do you explain all F1 cars using paddle shifters? That's marketing too...?
Come on. Do you really believe the DCT in our cars is even remotely similar in function to the transmissions in F1 cars? If so, I'm sure you're the demographic BMW's marketers are looking for.

The F1 transmissions and engine management systems are uniquely tuned for one purpose; racing a high downforce, high power/weight extremely high tech, missile.

Don't fool yourself. The DCT is designed to get groceries.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #85
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayC View Post
Followed by...

So...

DCT drivers = egomaniacs
6MT drivers = douches?

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner!

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #86
col.faith
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3 edition AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayC View Post
PS There should be a ban on 6MT vs DCT threads.
I second that.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #87
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Have you seen me drive a stick??
I'm sorry, but THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

I test drove a Mini Cooper yesterday, with manual. God I loved that trasmission. I hated my Z4 M Coupe 's manual.. 1 mile clutch travel, notch gearbox... Mini Cooper was so nice. Clutch pedal is heavy but not tiring. Gear knob is heavy and fits your palm nicely. Gear changes are smooth and you have the mechanical feel of engaging the gears.. Kinda missed having MT... But then I really like the DCT. I think DCT suits the M3. I only wish I was more in control while driving.. I keep sliding all over the corners
      03-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #88
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

@OP, another way of practicing I was doing at the time was to go down the gears on the freeway when passing other cars. You don't really need to downshit to take over a car in the M3, but just for the sake of practice (and excitement of lower gear) you can do it.