BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
flynbulldog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

an inexpensive cat-back exhaust

I just recently bought a new M3 and wanted it to sound a little meaner without spending a ton of cash.

I found CNT Racing on the web. I could not find a review but the price was so low I decided to take the risk.

The system was $399 (US) shipped, and it arrived at my door about 4 days after I ordered

I was skeptical but the initial inspection looked great; full polished stainless with very nice 3.5 rolled-lip quad tips. (I'm a bit old fashioned, I like polished parts)

OK it looks good but how does it fit - and how does it sound?

Here are some pics of the install that I did at home this afternoon. First the stock system then the CNT Racing exhaust:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
flynbulldog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Now for the pics of the install.
Attached Images

Last edited by flynbulldog; 06-22-2013 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
flynbulldog
Enlisted Member
Rep

And here is the finished project. It only took about 2 hours, the fit was pretty good, the system seems well engineered and went together pretty easily.

I did use my own stainless hardware that I had on hand because I didn't like the look of the stuff that came in the box ( just 2x m8 flange nuts and 4x m6 allen bolts and flange nuts)

I was very skeptical and would have ditched the whole thing had there been anything about the system or the install that looked even a little off.
But, it all went together nicely and fit great.

The sound is pretty good but nothing exotic. Not too loud but I do expect a little droning at this price. I'll live with it awhile and see if it's good or if it get's to me.
I'd have no problem going back to stock if I need to but so far I love it.

If you want a nice cat-back exhuast that is a very good price here's a link to where I bought this CNT Racing M3 exhaust

$400 bucks is hard to beat (and BTW I have no affiliation to this company or any of it's products)
Attached Images

Last edited by flynbulldog; 06-22-2013 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Hmm looks pretty decent, I was gonna do a muffler delete with straight pipes and just tips but this seems easy enough.

Got any sound clips?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Nice find! It looks pretty good if you ask me. I have a 600 dollar megan exhaust that use to be the low price leader. It looks like you might have found a new one. How does it sound? Can you put some videos of it up?

Almost all exhausts drone. The megan drones a little between 2600-2900RPM and 1 out of 10 in drone, I would say its a 3. How would you rate the drone in that system?

It looks good man. Unless its Gintani like drone, I would keep it!
      06-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
flynbulldog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Nice find! It looks pretty good if you ask me. I have a 600 dollar megan exhaust that use to be the low price leader. It looks like you might have found a new one. How does it sound? Can you put some videos of it up?

Almost all exhausts drone. The megan drones a little between 2600-2900RPM and 1 out of 10 in drone, I would say its a 3. How would you rate the drone in that system?

It looks good man. Unless its Gintani like drone, I would keep it!
I need to drive it a little more to get a feel for the drone. I'll post back next week after a few miles but so far it seems like its not going to be a big deal.

I've never posted a video online before, I may play with that when I get some time. But there are a few video clips from the seller on the link that I posted above.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
I need to drive it a little more to get a feel for the drone. I'll post back next week after a few miles but so far it seems like its not going to be a big deal.

I've never posted a video online before, I may play with that when I get some time. But there are a few video clips from the seller on the link that I posted above.
Oh cool. It sounds pretty good, but they removed the cats on the stock xpipe. So it sounds louder/raspier than I assume it would with a stock x pipe. Regardless, I kinda like how it sounds with the cat delete.

My only issue is the tips. They stick out a bit to much for my taste. But it looks like you can hammer the connecting pipes in to combat that some.

Good find man. Thanks for sharing!
      06-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
flynbulldog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Oh cool. It sounds pretty good, but they removed the cats on the stock xpipe. So it sounds louder/raspier than I assume it would with a stock x pipe. Regardless, I kinda like how it sounds with the cat delete.

My only issue is the tips. They stick out a bit to much for my taste. But it looks like you can hammer the connecting pipes in to combat that some.

Good find man. Thanks for sharing!
The first vid is with the test pipe the next two are the cat back system with both cats and stock x-pipe.

The tips actually stick out less than the stock tips did - that pic is a bit deceiving. Look at the pic from under the car and you can see how they fit into the bumper.

I'm very happy with the fit of the pipes and the tips. (and I'm a picky SOB )
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Thats a axle back not cat back.

cat back = everything after the cats
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio

True... But since the x pipe connects to the headers, its as close to a "cat back" as we can get in M3.
      06-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #11
Shaung
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

sound clips please!...

pretty please!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #12
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaung View Post
sound clips please!...

pretty please!
Read the thread....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:39 AM   #13
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Those cans are tiny for this engine. I'm guessing it pretty loud and drones or is very restrictive. You can always try to add a couple Heimholtz chambers on, like the AA exhaust has.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
flynbulldog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post

haha, well, since the pipes connect directly to the aft set of Cats (isn't that what those are after the X-pipe?) and are well forward of the rear axles I'd say they are cat back.
Attached Images

Last edited by flynbulldog; 06-24-2013 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
flynbulldog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Those cans are tiny for this engine. I'm guessing it pretty loud and drones or is very restrictive. You can always try to add a couple Heimholtz chambers on, like the AA exhaust has.
guess I didn't even need to do a review - one look at the pics and you have it figured out for us, Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #16
flynbulldog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaung View Post
sound clips please!...

pretty please!
these are not my vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MlqEStoqVaI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nFlwCutPMEE

As you can hear it is far from the loudest system but the sound is enough to make you smile.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
these are not my vids:

As you can hear it is far from the loudest system but the sound is enough to make you smile.
Sounds pretty quiet actually! I almost think its quieter than my Megan after hearing that. Thanks for finding that.
      06-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #18
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
haha, well, since the pipes connect directly to the aft set of Cats (isn't that what those are after the X-pipe?) and are well forward of the rear axles I'd say they are cat back.
cat back is everything after the cats. I have been doing this aftermarket exhaust swaps for some time now.

most cat backs replaced mufflers and resonators, then connect right to the cats. Which is why they are called cat backs.

The m3`s exhuast is a cock block for true cat backs, but technically you do not have a cat back, but doesn't hurt to call it one.

the world is getting less and less technical with what people label things now of days.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #19
Shaung
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
these are not my vids:

thanks for the post.. I was looking for a sound clip NOT from the vendor. I found this one as well..

How are you liking it? To loud, to soft just right? Any drone? This is such a good deal I might just buy it..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

That car makes some funny noises over what seems like bumps or bad roads. But the exhaust sounds pretty quiet, it's hard to compare over videos but I wanna say the OEM mod might be louder?

OP have you heard an OEM modded exhaust in person? Which is louder? If they are close, maybe even quieter I think i'll like it. Plus getting rid of some weight doesn't hurt. If it needs to be loader there is always a test pipe or secondary cut delete.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
flynbulldog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
That car makes some funny noises over what seems like bumps or bad roads. But the exhaust sounds pretty quiet, it's hard to compare over videos but I wanna say the OEM mod might be louder?

OP have you heard an OEM modded exhaust in person? Which is louder? If they are close, maybe even quieter I think i'll like it. Plus getting rid of some weight doesn't hurt. If it needs to be loader there is always a test pipe or secondary cut delete.
I've not heard the OEM mod, in fact I've not even gotten to drive my car yet with the new exhaust.
I'll get to drive it a bit today

The thing I've read about the OEM mod is that it's quiet at idle and sounds good when you step on it with no drone down the highway.
All that sounds perfect to me. The bad part is that it's not easily fixed if you don't like it.

This system is not all that quiet at low RPM and I don't really know yet about the droning.
The good part is that I can easily revert to stock if I don't like it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #22
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
I've not heard the OEM mod, in fact I've not even gotten to drive my car yet with the new exhaust.
I'll get to drive it a bit today

The thing I've read about the OEM mod is that it's quiet at idle and sounds good when you step on it with no drone down the highway.
All that sounds perfect to me. The bad part is that it's not easily fixed if you don't like it.

This system is not all that quiet at low RPM and I don't really know yet about the droning.
The good part is that I can easily revert to stock if I don't like it.
Your exhaust setup sounds good ( but not loud)
I have the Oem. exhaust mod. replaced the 2 big perforated pipes(love it )(0 drone),done by myself v v v see post of it ,with pics,DIY?sound D
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817
And here a video Oem. exhaust mod. 2 pipe perf. method. vs ///M performance exhaust v v v

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 06-25-2013 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0