BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

01-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

computer monitors

Do any of you know whether it's still possible to buy CRT monitors for computers? I'm not seeing any at any of the stores I visit. Would prefer a CRT because IMO they still have better images than the flat screen monitors. I have a flat screen NEC monitor and though it's quite good, it's still not worked as well as my old CRT. It just doesn't draw images as quickly and clearly as the CRT did.

I should have never disposed of my old monitor.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
fai
._.
Rep
Drives: X3

Get LED, they're relatively cheap nowadays. I got one recently 23" for $300 samsung.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

i have an oooooold crt sitting in my lab somewhere...not sure if it works but its yours if you pay shipping.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

yea you can buy them, but only from those little computer shops or craigslist.

the problem anymore is the shipping, they're the weight of a modern large screen tv.
if you can't find local, just buy a 'modern' tv
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback.

So you guys think that the current crop of flat screen monitors are equal to (or better if that's possible) the performance of an eight-year-ago high-end CRT? My former one was a sweet NEC 18" one I paid $1200 for. It did everything -- aside from occupying space -- exceptionally well. It was essentially an low-end CAD/CAM monitor. I could crank all my games up to show all the "eye candy" and what not and I never was squinting to read text...lines showed up totally straight without jaggies...it was just awesome...

(ok...enough lamenting)

Do any of you have specific models (or know websites that might have such) I should check out? The company I just ordered a new PC from suggested an LG 30" flat screen they claim gets better than 1080p. (That's something I didn't know was possible. BTW...They don't offer CRTs.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Better than 1080 in that the resolution is 2560x1600. Nothing's going to display at that (movie wise) and will just give you some bars if you watch 1080p content. Not to mention if you game, you're going to need some serious GPUs to really get the most out of it.

I'm with you in that CRTs are fantastic. Your gamut, refresh rate, typically resolution, contrast ratio and just about everything else is better. The downside is obviously weight, general bulk and for those green types power consumption. Not to mention you don't get the nasty color banding as you do with digital monitors.

I had two 21" CRTs that I may even still have. I can't remember if I sold them or not. One NEC 445Xi+ (IIRC) and a ViewSonic something or another.

There a different LCD display types too that will give you pretty different refresh rates, IPS and TN being the most common. The former is more expensive, but I believe typically faster but much more expensive.

I ended up settling on a few Samsung monitors that work well for me. Two 204bs (20" 4:3) on either side of a 2443 (24: 16:9). The center running SLI off two GTX 460s and the side off an 8800GT that's dedicated for PhysX. I went with the specific widescreen as it matched the vertical resolution of the others, which makes spanning like that much nicer for me. (1600x1200 and 1920x1200).
That's a nice setup you have.

I just ordered my (well, our family's) new PC. It's an overclocked Falcon Mach V with Intel 2600K 3.4 processor and a pair of GTX 580s. I want to get a display that'll let me (more accurately, my kids', as I only play occasionally; they are the real gamers) get the most out of that configuration.

I've had NEC monitors historically. I will call them tomorrow to see if they still sell CRTs. I don't mind the weight/bulk as the PC center we have at home was designed back when there were no flat screens a serious gamer would buy. I'm not that "green" to care about the power consumption, so that's not going to be an issue either.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
That's a nice setup you have.

I just ordered my (well, our family's) new PC. It's an overclocked Falcon Mach V with Intel 2600K 3.4 processor and a pair of GTX 580s. I want to get a display that'll let me (more accurately, my kids', as I only play occasionally; they are the real gamers) get the most out of that configuration.

I've had NEC monitors historically. I will call them tomorrow to see if they still sell CRTs. I don't mind the weight/bulk as the PC center we have at home was designed back when there were no flat screens a serious gamer would buy. I'm not that "green" to care about the power consumption, so that's not going to be an issue either.
You bought a Falcon? You either have large amounts of money to blow or you don't make the best purchasing decisions.

You realize you could've built a better computer for cheaper right?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Current IPS displays are gorgeous. The only thing I liked about the CRTs was the fast refresh rates. Other than that modern flat screens are better in every aspect.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
Salazar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Black 135i

Get my setup

1x Dell 30-inch
2x Dell Ultra 24-inch in Profile
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

TV's are the new monitor.

The only way I'd use a monitor these days is if I wanted to have 3 monitors for sheer awesome factor. Even then I'd probably rather get one 50" plasma tv and use that as a monitor than a real monitor.

My current PC build is a beast and I went out and killed 2 birds with one stone by hooking it up to the TV via HDMI.

I understand that this wouldn't work for an office, but my buddy was looking at smaller 720p and even 1080p tv's that were under $300 and similar size as most common PC monitors.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Anyone buying Falcon PC's should just send me a PM. I'm glad to build custom PC's for people using your own parts you order brand new. I'd charge like $100 for the work since I love doing it. Any major company will rape you with charges. Basically cost plus $100 so I can buy parts for my car

If anyone local to me needs help building a PC I'd be glad to help in any way I can. Maybe provide a sub or pizza or something and I'll help any day haha.
Appreciate 0