BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-01-2017, 01:43 AM   #1
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

M3 owner from the UK and making an entrance

Hi everyone, I have been lurking on here, and through searching found some answers to a few issues. So I thought I'd join.

So me, I am in England, I am a proper petrolhead, have owned a vast amount of cars and am a massive M3 fan.

I can be direct with my posts, and I hope I can add some value.

Current Jam Jars are E93 M3, E46 M3, RRS, EVO 6 and 911 Turbo.

Last edited by boba-fett; 09-01-2017 at 05:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      09-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
SEMOM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 SG

Welcome! Throw up some pictures when you get a chance. People love pictures
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Welcome aboard Boba. Nice with some more europeans adding to the mix. As previous suggested, couple of pics is always welcome!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 08:49 AM   #4
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Guys....

A few pictures as requested....

Appreciate 4
SEMOM382.00
cenix379.00
GVIFlyer294.50
      09-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #5
SEMOM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 SG

Beautiful cars! I don't think we see enough yellow around here. It's such a great color
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMOM3 View Post
Beautiful cars! I don't think we see enough yellow around here. It's such a great color
Thanks

I love Dakar....

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I have never seen an Evo 6 in person. That looks spot on. A friend owned a 2005 Evo 8, how can you not like a car that has a gauge named...

Tarmac
Gravel
Snow

That car was way ahead of its time and with minimal mods and a tune it was a sleeper Sedan (although the wing should have given it away) that chewed up modded American muscle cars back in the day.

What are the 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times on a European Evo 6?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #8
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Welcome!

That is a great collection of cars you have. I especially like the e46 and the evo. I've seen a few rhd evos around Toronto and they're really quick.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 07:38 AM   #9
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_g View Post
Welcome!

That is a great collection of cars you have. I especially like the e46 and the evo. I've seen a few rhd evos around Toronto and they're really quick.
The Evo is undergoing a forged engine and should be around 550 bhp when finished.
Appreciate 1
xander_g995.50
      09-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #10
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

With your stable of vehicles I trust that you will be a good source of knowledge and will be a highly regarded member here in no time. I think most members would agree with your assessment that the NA V8 could/should have been faster from the factory, with torque being the main issue. Luckily as you know, adding thrust is attainable for very little money with a tune, exhaust and other minor bolt ons when and if you decide to do so and of course supercharging is always an option. Hoping to see you start another thread or adding to this one discussing...
1: Where do you rank the E9X in overall performance
2: What should the engineers have done to make it faster right from the showroom
3: How does the E9X rank against YOUR other vehicles
Look forward to your responses.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #11
ard5040
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 xdrive35i, Macan S

Love that e46!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #12
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Love the Evolution. I drove one a few years ago. I was hauling ass on the 405. I realized after didn't even have a plate on it. I used to work for Mitsubishi Motors North America. They had one and they let me drive it. Never got a chance to drive the Evo 7.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #13
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

A proper petrolhead indeed!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #14
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Lovely stable of cars. I still miss my e46 M3 and am still waiting to add a Porsche to my stable. Oh well, I still have plenty of time. Unlike many others on this forum I am not a huge fan of yellow as a car color (even for Lamborghinis), but your e93 looks fabulous!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #15
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
With your stable of vehicles I trust that you will be a good source of knowledge and will be a highly regarded member here in no time. I think most members would agree with your assessment that the NA V8 could/should have been faster from the factory, with torque being the main issue. Luckily as you know, adding thrust is attainable for very little money with a tune, exhaust and other minor bolt ons when and if you decide to do so and of course supercharging is always an option. Hoping to see you start another thread or adding to this one discussing...
1: Where do you rank the E9X in overall performance
2: What should the engineers have done to make it faster right from the showroom
3: How does the E9X rank against YOUR other vehicles
Look forward to your responses.
Ill do my best to help anyone out, E9X performance, Hmmmm, well its ok you just have to ring its neck out, against my Porsche, well thats got 650 bhp and 800ft and it is in a completely different ball park, but its all to easy at the same time.

I did write a comparison against E9X and E46 M3's.....here it is.....

Having just bought the E46 M3 Coupe and now covered quite a few miles in it, many may ask is it worth changing up from the pretty E46 M3 to the V8 E9x. I have posted similar before, but for the hell it, today I took them out back to back with a mate to help with whats the fastest out of the two and dismiss old wife's tales.

Looks:
For a number of years I have always looked at pictures of the V8 and thought it looked wrong, to me it looked to big to top heavy and a little cumbersome at the rear with its hunched stance, then over some time and seeing them on the road they started growing on me. The E46 M3 on the other hand does photo well and all the bulges and testosterone seems to pop out. I feel the V8 does not picture well and in the metal it really is a looker and has so much presence. Anyone wanting one, just needs to go see a V8 in a lighter colour as its suits the car best. Now every time I see one it turns my head and I think what a pretty car.

Is it better looking than the E46, that is a tough one, in pictures the 46 all day long, in the real world up close and personal, I'm on the fence

Performance:
I think the V8 should be faster as most will know, you can push buttons and things make it seem faster (you just don't have to push the pedal so far) but I've reached a point where I think do you know what, its Ok. The E46 M3 on the other hand strangely feels more eager and willing, it feels faster and has a better throttle response and contrary to the V8 you actually don't have to ring it's neck out, however the V8 when you do it makes you tingle and you get the noise and with this in mind and coupled with the DCT its very very exciting. Head to head the V8 is faster, but only just, those that say a V8 blitzes a good E46 M3 needs to knock on my door. OE VS OE, there is not much in it.

The Engine:
Well the real reason you would buy the V8. Its a Gem, silky smooth refined, feels ageless and nearly 9k in a V8 and its just keeps pulling and getting better the more you spank it. The noise is up there with the best with the pipe mod done, it still excites me every time I turn the key. If we are honest its the V8's trump card it will win you over with its voice so to speak. The 46 is unique with its rasp, an acquired metallic noise, those that know, know, those that don't think your back box is full of loud wasps. I like it, the engine is a legend, humble eager, ready and instant. Is there another car with a better throttle response when warm and ready ? for the money Probably not. The V8 though is top dog here, its special.

Handling:
This is where the E46 feels more of a track car in comparison, it feels lighter more direct, agile and nimble almost go cart like in comparison. It probably is in the real world as well. The V8 just feels safer, quieter more solid and easy, less likely to bite and more refined. Both are very composed and easy to have the arse out, the 46 feels more race car and better but the V8 is better through refinement.

Kit:
I have a fully loaded E46 and although good, its 90's tech really, nice and all that, but the V8 is streets ahead. Mines just about got everything, most you wont use as usual, internet /TV/DVD/hardrive this and media that apart from maybe a toilet, the V8 have all you need really. This will not be important if its your weekend toy, but it still needs to be mentioned.

Gearbox:
I have drove a few manuals, and its Ok, both V8 and E46 are notchy sods, which is worse in the E46, but I aslo think they got the ratios wrong in the V8, so look at it this way, both will comand more money at some point, because we are all getting lazy. I am a manual fan, and although I have an SMG in the 46, ITS RUBBISH. Unless you are on track going 7 bells its sh1te. The DCT is just so good and so right matted to the V8 engine. I have never had an auto give you a surge when it changes gear. My E93 DCT pulls ahead on my mates E92 manual and this is down to the box and how good it is. Where the SMG for me was so wrong, slow, snappy, jerky and crud, this is so right. lightening, brutal, blips, fun and super smooth when you want it to be. Its a very good box indeed.

Practical:
Who cares, you can get 4 in both and some shopping. Both are sh1te on fuel if used as an M, with the V8 being some what sh1tier

Costs:
18 mpg as a rule for the V8, and 22 mpg for the 46, some get more, some get less, but if you like your M, expect the aforementioned, but every car has an Achilles heel. The E46 is proving to be costly so and so the older it gets, it has more money worries than the V8, so don't think its a Honda. The V8 though, Service is every 2 years, but I do mine yearly (old habits die hard) though it has 8 plugs and 9 liters of oil, so its not cheap from the off. No adjusting this / guides that, everything else is pretty much normal BM Tax. It is worth looking at inherent issues with both as neither is perfect, but the V8 has less flaws and will prove more reliable mainly because its newer, more refined and well built.

What goes wrong:
46 - well, Vanos, boot floor, head gasket, timing chains, rust, diffs, SMG pumps, Springs and cuddly toy, oh and did I mention Rust !! The car I just bought the previous owner spent 10k in 2 years, I'm not saying this is normal, just be warned, you can buy it one for 10k, but could end up costing you a hell of a lot more!!
V8 - Not a lot really. Actuators which are well documented, and some cases of rod bearings on high milers, but you can do preventative maintenance on these items if that's your thing. Late cars can still be under warranty so you can just enjoy.

What do others think.
Everyone loves the 46, only today my mate turned up in his E28 M5 and loved the underdog, He would take the V8 of course, but if it was to keep forever, I'm not so sure. I have not had a single negative vibe from both. Most give me the thumbs up, and people come over and want to talk about the car's (and the colour) they are cool car's, thruth be told the V8 looks better in the metal and far more modern and up to date, it just looks the newer more plusher car.

Round up:
God its tough, I really like both, my wife likes the V8 all day, my mates like the 46, I like driving them both, one is way better and more grown up and the other is more raw and edgy. if they where dogs the V8 would be a graceful greyhound, with great strides and quick once up and running, and the 46 would be a terrier, shot to bits with bags of character. But we need to mention the noise the V8 makes, its the greyhound thats had lots of BBQ beans, it sound awesome, Its such an event and for me its so important, it's what separates current cars with the electric future.

So to sum up and what most will want to know "Which one"

The V8 is better in every single way make no mistake (I also think its better looking in the metal) each evolution is better so don't kid yourself, If they where both coupes and I had to have one forever more, probably the 46, but the V8 vert with its metal folding roof is so versatile and ticks so many boxes it really is what the M3 was designed for. The jack of ALL trades master of none"
Appreciate 2
Ngilbe361618.50
xander_g995.50
      09-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #16
BimmerRules!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 stick zcp [F30/zhp/E60]

Wow! Great intro, great set of cars, and a fantastic comparison! Welcome and thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #17
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba-fett View Post
Ill do my best to help anyone out, E9X performance, Hmmmm, well its ok you just have to ring its neck out, against my Porsche, well thats got 650 bhp and 800ft and it is in a completely different ball park, but its all to easy at the same time.

Having just bought the E46 M3 Coupe and now covered quite a few miles in it, many may ask is it worth changing up from the pretty E46 M3 to the V8 E9x. I have posted similar before, but for the hell it, today I took them out back to back with a mate to help with whats the fastest out of the two and dismiss old wife's tales.

Looks:
For a number of years I have always looked at pictures of the V8 and thought it looked wrong, to me it looked to big to top heavy and a little cumbersome at the rear with its hunched stance, then over some time and seeing them on the road they started growing on me. The E46 M3 on the other hand does photo well and all the bulges and testosterone seems to pop out. I feel the V8 does not picture well and in the metal it really is a looker and has so much presence. Anyone wanting one, just needs to go see a V8 in a lighter colour as its suits the car best. Now every time I see one it turns my head and I think what a pretty car.

Is it better looking than the E46, that is a tough one, in pictures the 46 all day long, in the real world up close and personal, I'm on the fence

Performance:
I think the V8 should be faster as most will know, you can push buttons and things make it seem faster (you just don't have to push the pedal so far) but I've reached a point where I think do you know what, its Ok. The E46 M3 on the other hand strangely feels more eager and willing, it feels faster and has a better throttle response and contrary to the V8 you actually don't have to ring it's neck out, however the V8 when you do it makes you tingle and you get the noise and with this in mind and coupled with the DCT its very very exciting. Head to head the V8 is faster, but only just, those that say a V8 blitzes a good E46 M3 needs to knock on my door. OE VS OE, there is not much in it.

The Engine:
Well the real reason you would buy the V8. Its a Gem, silky smooth refined, feels ageless and nearly 9k in a V8 and its just keeps pulling and getting better the more you spank it. The noise is up there with the best with the pipe mod done, it still excites me every time I turn the key. If we are honest its the V8's trump card it will win you over with its voice so to speak. The 46 is unique with its rasp, an acquired metallic noise, those that know, know, those that don't think your back box is full of loud wasps. I like it, the engine is a legend, humble eager, ready and instant. Is there another car with a better throttle response when warm and ready ? for the money Probably not. The V8 though is top dog here, its special.

Handling:
This is where the E46 feels more of a track car in comparison, it feels lighter more direct, agile and nimble almost go cart like in comparison. It probably is in the real world as well. The V8 just feels safer, quieter more solid and easy, less likely to bite and more refined. Both are very composed and easy to have the arse out, the 46 feels more race car and better but the V8 is better through refinement.

Kit:
I have a fully loaded E46 and although good, its 90's tech really, nice and all that, but the V8 is streets ahead. Mines just about got everything, most you wont use as usual, internet /TV/DVD/hardrive this and media that apart from maybe a toilet, the V8 have all you need really. This will not be important if its your weekend toy, but it still needs to be mentioned.

Gearbox:
I have drove a few manuals, and its Ok, both V8 and E46 are notchy sods, which is worse in the E46, but I aslo think they got the ratios wrong in the V8, so look at it this way, both will comand more money at some point, because we are all getting lazy. I am a manual fan, and although I have an SMG in the 46, ITS RUBBISH. Unless you are on track going 7 bells its sh1te. The DCT is just so good and so right matted to the V8 engine. I have never had an auto give you a surge when it changes gear. My E93 DCT pulls ahead on my mates E92 manual and this is down to the box and how good it is. Where the SMG for me was so wrong, slow, snappy, jerky and crud, this is so right. lightening, brutal, blips, fun and super smooth when you want it to be. Its a very good box indeed.

Practical:
Who cares, you can get 4 in both and some shopping. Both are sh1te on fuel if used as an M, with the V8 being some what sh1tier

Costs:
18 mpg as a rule for the V8, and 22 mpg for the 46, some get more, some get less, but if you like your M, expect the aforementioned, but every car has an Achilles heel. The E46 is proving to be costly so and so the older it gets, it has more money worries than the V8, so don't think its a Honda. The V8 though, Service is every 2 years, but I do mine yearly (old habits die hard) though it has 8 plugs and 9 liters of oil, so its not cheap from the off. No adjusting this / guides that, everything else is pretty much normal BM Tax. It is worth looking at inherent issues with both as neither is perfect, but the V8 has less flaws and will prove more reliable mainly because its newer, more refined and well built.

What goes wrong:
46 - well, Vanos, boot floor, head gasket, timing chains, rust, diffs, SMG pumps, Springs and cuddly toy, oh and did I mention Rust !! The car I just bought the previous owner spent 10k in 2 years, I'm not saying this is normal, just be warned, you can buy it one for 10k, but could end up costing you a hell of a lot more!!
V8 - Not a lot really. Actuators which are well documented, and some cases of rod bearings on high milers, but you can do preventative maintenance on these items if that's your thing. Late cars can still be under warranty so you can just enjoy.

What do others think.
Everyone loves the 46, only today my mate turned up in his E28 M5 and loved the underdog, He would take the V8 of course, but if it was to keep forever, I'm not so sure. I have not had a single negative vibe from both. Most give me the thumbs up, and people come over and want to talk about the car's (and the colour) they are cool car's, thruth be told the V8 looks better in the metal and far more modern and up to date, it just looks the newer more plusher car.

Round up:
God its tough, I really like both, my wife likes the V8 all day, my mates like the 46, I like driving them both, one is way better and more grown up and the other is more raw and edgy. if they where dogs the V8 would be a graceful greyhound, with great strides and quick once up and running, and the 46 would be a terrier, shot to bits with bags of character. But we need to mention the noise the V8 makes, its the greyhound thats had lots of BBQ beans, it sound awesome, Its such an event and for me its so important, it's what separates current cars with the electric future.

The V8 is better in every single way make no mistake (I also think its better looking in the metal) each evolution is better so don't kid yourself, If they where both coupes and I had to have one forever more, probably the 46, but the V8 vert with its metal folding roof is so versatile and ticks so many boxes it really is what the M3 was designed for. The jack of ALL trades master of none"
Awesome comparison!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #18
GVIFlyer
Large Member
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche C2S Cab_M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:

Looks:

Performance:

The Engine:

Handling:

Kit:

Gearbox:

Practical:

Costs:

What goes wrong:

What do others think.

Round up:

I concur that the E9X V8 M3 is better in every way. I had an E46 M3 and it suffered from rear subframe cracks, a rod bearing recall, a VANOS solenoid recall and other irritating VANOS problems as well a SMG pump failure. I've had three E9X M3s and have had NO unscheduled maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #19
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
That's a sweet collection!

I have only one question, if you had to give up all those cars and could only keep one, which one would it be?
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #20
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

When I asked you to discuss your thoughts on the E9X I could not have imagined receiving the thoughtful response you have given.

A few points:
You are correct seeing an E9X in person is believing.

There are so many threads on DCT vs 6MT. The simple answer is the one you have given. Performance wise it is just better. It doesn't mean the experience is better for all, but as you explained so eloquently, the surge you get when it shifts gears cannot be matched by the 6MT. I think BMW missed the mark on the 6MT and you pinpointed the reasons why.

Couldn't agree with you more about the Vert, but for some odd reason it doesn't get the respect of the hard core M3 crowd. On the other hand It gets kudos from the general public. Those of us who own one can attest to that.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #21
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Quote:

Looks:

Performance:

The Engine:

Handling:

Kit:

Gearbox:

Practical:

Costs:

What goes wrong:

What do others think.

Round up:

One of the best comparisons of the 2 cars I have seen. Both of my M3s have been fully manual, so I cannot comment on the SMG-DCT contrast, and I was fortunate enough not to see any rust in my e46, even after 8 years, but that is a benefit of living in the subtropics where we never see ice or snow.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #22
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
without quoting his post, boba-fett's comparison post is one of the most comprehensive ones out there, very well written.
Appreciate 0