BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #45
cannga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 & Porsche 997 Turbo

Sorry for the thread jack - I am not allowed to post yet and need answer right away: could someone identify this fluid for me?

This is a 2011 M3 with 5900 miles, spotless otherwise, that I just picked up from Carmax yesterday. When I opened hood, there is a layer of slightly thick/viscous, maybe yellowish in color that covered the plastic part of the engine bay when I opened it.
I wiped it off and now still see some seeping out from under the front plastic air intake for the air filter. See picture below. Plan to bring car for inspection tomorrow but for my peace of mind, could someone guess what this could be? Coolant leak, coolant spill, Carmax degreaser? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #46
2013E92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 JB, DCT,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Sorry for the thread jack - I am not allowed to post yet and need answer right away: could someone identify this fluid for me?

This is a 2011 M3 with 5900 miles, spotless otherwise, that I just picked up from Carmax yesterday. When I opened hood, there is a layer of slightly thick/viscous, maybe yellowish in color that covered the plastic part of the engine bay when I opened it.
I wiped it off and now still see some seeping out from under the front plastic air intake for the air filter. See picture below. Plan to bring car for inspection tomorrow but for my peace of mind, could someone guess what this could be? Coolant leak, coolant spill, Carmax degreaser? Thanks in advance.
U should have posted a quick comment on any thread then u would have been able to post ur question about the fluid as its own thread..I doubt ur going to get many answers here..not enough traffic..just my 2 cents.

sorry ur having problems..wish I could have been of more help..but im a newbie in the M World..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #47
cannga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 & Porsche 997 Turbo

Just an update: it seems to be cosmoline - the wax that they coated the car for transport. Car probably has not been driven much (5900 miles on odometer!) and now with the engine heat the stuff melts and drips from the hood to surface of engine bay. I wiped the viscous fluid off and it hasn't re-accumulated, but do plan to take car out for professional evaluation today anyway.

Love the car so far, very much so :-), and unless they find some major disaster, it's a keeper! Sorry for thread jack and thanks.
Appreciate 0