BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

11-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

how old were you when you bought your first house/condo/apartment?

Im planning to buy a condo, gotta study hard and work hard ....
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

buy...... wait.... you can buy these things? Shit. Been renting for years.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

23, The first year I was in it I didn't have any television service, and I didn't turn on the heat, I just built fires in the fire place and put on a jacket. It all worked out, I still live in the house, I didn't plan on being here this long, but now I am too cheap move up to a higher property tax rate.

If I were to move my property tax would go somewhere between two and three times what I am currently paying.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I was 24 when my ex-wife and I bought our first house. I don't have either one of them now. Let's just say I upgraded.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
SilverII
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335IS

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [9.66]
at 25...still livng here
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

30. Expensive out in LA and no help from Mommy and Daddy.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

I am 25. I have a great job. There is no where I am willing to move that I can afford. And even places that I am not interested in, the taxes are too high. Owning where I am is next to impossible.

I look at it this way. I may be renting and losing the opportunity to gain equity on a piece of property. However, I spend less money on rent than I would on a mortgage. Therefore, instead of having no savings and a home (that the bank owns), I have a place to live and a growing savings/portfolio. At this point in time I will take that over the opportunity to own something that may not see any rise in value for at least a few more years. I will be purchasing within the next 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
I am 23 and rented during college (parents paid) from 18-22. I moved back home last year and planned on buying a place this fall but life had other plans. We'll see where things go but realistically I would like to buy in the next year or two.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
A word of advice to all the young ones here from someone who has failed to do this for himself and his kid :

If you know where your kid will be attending college, plan on buying a home or a condo/ apt. in that town if you can afford to do so. Anything is OK as long it can meet your kid's needs (which should not be much as a college student). There are several advantages to this :

1. Your kid does not pay rent or have to worry about mailing in the rent check late while in college. You are the Landlord. A huge piece of mind.

2. All the money you spend on the mortgage while he/ she is using the place, you probably get back after 4 years or more and then some. So, there is huge savings as well smart investing there.

3. After getting out and getting a job, if he/ she can afford to take over the mortgage, pass it on to your kid and do it immediately after they get a job. This way they will be building equity of their own right off the bat. If he/ she can not afford the mortgage immediately, go ahead and carry it for a couple of years or so and use its rental income to offset its mortgage cost (or better yet, cover the whole mortgage payment assuming the rental rate and property values have appreciated considerably during years of ownership). You can then sell the property and give the profit to your kid as a gift to place as a down payment on his/ her own first home/ condo purchase when they are ready to do so.

Anyway you look at it, there is a huge financial win in this simple strategy if you can implement it right.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #10
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

My favorite part of renting in college was no matter how crappy the place looked in the end, all I had to lose was my security deposit. As for grad school, theres a lot of people who have bought real estate close to my school. But, the hell if I'd ever buy anything in Phx, let alone now.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
Bodie217
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 135i, '14 WRX, '14 Sequoia

25, bought a 2br/ba condo in Reston. Only reason I was able to front the 20% down payment is because my grandparents set up a mutual fund that has accrued interest nicely over the past 20 years.
-2010 BMW 135i - Titanium Silver - Procede v3/ETS 5" IC/AR Catless DP>N54mid>Berk Race/BMS OCC/VRSF Turbo Inlets & CP/SP rotors/Pagid RS29/APEX ARC8/Ohlins DFV/M3 Full Suspension and Bushings/Wavetrac LSD // 395rwhp/469rwtq on 91oct
-2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum - Overlander
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #12
texasmojo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i automatic

I had my house built when I was 20. I'm glad I didn't buy more than I could afford.23 years left on mortgage but might pay it a lot sooner. The banks approved me for way more than I ever thought possible. I'm glad I did not bite.
      11-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Bought my house at 25. I don't regret it and I enjoy being a home owner but I thought I was buying at the bottom of the market or close to it - newp! House is worth about 50k less than my purchase price right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 02:46 AM   #14
Hershey
CLU KINGSMEN
Rep
Drives: '66 Shelby GT 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
A word of advice to all the young ones here from someone who has failed to do this for himself and his kid :

If you know where your kid will be attending college, plan on buying a home or a condo/ apt. in that town if you can afford to do so. Anything is OK as long it can meet your kid's needs (which should not be much as a college student). There are several advantages to this :

1. Your kid does not pay rent or have to worry about mailing in the rent check late while in college. You are the Landlord. A huge piece of mind.

2. All the money you spend on the mortgage while he/ she is using the place, you probably get back after 4 years or more and then some. So, there is huge savings as well smart investing there.

3. After getting out and getting a job, if he/ she can afford to take over the mortgage, pass it on to your kid and do it immediately after they get a job. This way they will be building equity of their own right off the bat. If he/ she can not afford the mortgage immediately, go ahead and carry it for a couple of years or so and use its rental income to offset its mortgage cost (or better yet, cover the whole mortgage payment assuming the rental rate and property values have appreciated considerably during years of ownership). You can then sell the property and give the profit to your kid as a gift to place as a down payment on his/ her own first home/ condo purchase when they are ready to do so.

Anyway you look at it, there is a huge financial win in this simple strategy if you can implement it right.
+1 on this advice.

I bought when I was 28 with my then fiance..who is now my wife. Buying in CA at the time we bought was tricky with all the "short sales" & foreclosed homes. Luckily we had good real estate agents who took care of us! After our wedding, we set aside money we got as gifts and set up a mutual account AND CD account for our 1st born's college fund!

Now I enjoy "modding" the house and waiting for that Fxx M3 to come out in 2013! (hopefully sooner! lol)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #15
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

Bought a house at 19 with the wife through military loan.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #16
Want
YVR
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Monaco Blue

I dunno if this counts but 25 now, we got a new place and I pay for half the mortgage, the house is in my name as well as parents.

Tondtar has a good point... I went to uni on the opposite side of the country though, paid a shit load for res/rent
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #17
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I was 23. 4 wives, 6 houses and many years later I now have the privilege of living in, and owning a house in, the single highest real estate tax rate county in the entire United States.

And what do we get for that obscenely high tax?

NOTHING.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #18
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:

adopt me?

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
1997gtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi | 08 S5 | 02 S4

Wife and I are 27 ... still renting. Could afford to buy, but happy renting for now and avoiding crazy high property taxes where we live.
      12-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #20
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Rent is too DAMN high!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #21
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:

Please call my parents.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #22
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: in High Country

24 here. I am in the process of buying my first house right now (settle on Mar. 16th). It's hard not to buy when there are so many foreclosures out there.
Appreciate 0