BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
my_e92_is_blue
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

My m3 cranks but won't start! help!

So I have the following control messages as you can see in 2 of the pictures along with all of the lights I have on my dash in the first picture (red brake light turns yellow with e-brake down):

1. Engine malfunction! Reduced power
2. DSC malfunction! Drive carefully
3. DBC malfunction! Drive carefully
4. Service due (although I knew it needed an oil change)
5. Resetting TPM (I believe from low battery from cranking)
6. Start off assistance inactive! (I believe from the low battery from cranking it so many times while trying to diagnose it)
7. Fuel pump!

Like I stated in the title, it will crank but it won't start. Yesterday when the problem started, it would fire up reliably every time but misfire and idle rough or poorly until about 3-5 seconds later when it would putter itself out.

So far I checked the voltage to the fuel pump and it seems as if its getting no power to it. Now I could be wrong but that what it seems. So where to go from here is beyond me. I've tried looking on other threads and posts but I couldn't seem to get a definitive answer.

I was hoping that someone had this same scenario and they could definitively tell me what they had replaced to remedy the problem and I could start with that.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by my_e92_is_blue; 01-13-2016 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Rule # 1
Come down nothing major crazy has happened!
Your/ our car(s) are equipped with such an comunication system to plain and simple as stated comunicate with us/ you.
However when for example an christmas tree lights up in your cluster, with your mentioned starting/ cranking issues, there might be an possibility your battery drained and triggered all other cel lights.

Listen bro, it looks like your battery plays tricks on you!
Did you managed to read out the code with an OBD reader?
That way you can see what voltage your battery has on startup etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
my_e92_is_blue
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
Rule # 1
Come down nothing major crazy has happened!
Your/ our car(s) are equipped with such an comunication system to plain and simple as stated comunicate with us/ you.
However when for example an christmas tree lights up in your cluster, with your mentioned starting/ cranking issues, there might be an possibility your battery drained and triggered all other cel lights.

Listen bro, it looks like your battery plays tricks on you!
Did you managed to read out the code with an OBD reader?
That way you can see what voltage your battery has on startup etc.
Even when the battery was fresh, I still had the DSC malfunction and the fuel pump warning on which was in no way battery related. I'll try and pull codes soon but I'm still up for ideas on what it could be.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #4
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_e92_is_blue View Post
Even when the battery was fresh, I still had the DSC malfunction and the fuel pump warning on which was in no way battery related. I'll try and pull codes soon but I'm still up for ideas on what it could be.
Allright pull some codes and post them, we might help you then a little bit better, everything else would be pin pointing in the dark.
Appreciate 0