BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

09-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
New GTi Carbon Grey

Just went with the wife to collect her new Mk6 GTi. Here's the pics.

Close call, I picked the colour and she normally hates grey. Thank god she really digs this Carbon Grey.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Nice all around vehicle. Grats!

I just don't care for those spaceship wheels.
      09-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Nice all around vehicle. Grats!

I just don't care for those spaceship wheels.
The wheels are a concern of mine, I too dislike them but there's no other option OEM wise and I think the chances of curb damage is quite high.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

How can a curb miss them?
      09-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
How can a curb miss them?
good one.

Especially with a woman on board. (I hope the wife never reads that)

P.S.
Got a phone call from her to say that on returning to the car while up the town she noticed a youngest (Asian) guy in a white sportscar (she said) taking photos of it. When he noticed her looking he gave her a big thumbs up, needless to say she was as proud as punch.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

axe head alloys... so very anglo saxon of them .. btw footie you never told me what you did with your M3... did the jag-yoo-war replace it?
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
The design is based on a horseshoe. I actually quite like them on my MKV with the holes painted united gray vs the black painted holes on the MKVI.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
axe head alloys... so very anglo saxon of them .. btw footie you never told me what you did with your M3... did the jag-yoo-war replace it?
Yeah, M3 gone hello Jag XF.

P.S.

Apart from the alloys which do polarize option the rest of the car is the mutt's nuts. The standard of fit and finish, plus the equipment is right up there with the M3 and the Dynaudio speaker system actually blows the Logic 7 I had in the M3 with much better bass, better vocals and better separation.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Yeah, M3 gone hello Jag XF.

P.S.

Apart from the alloys which do polarize option the rest of the car is the mutt's nuts. The standard of fit and finish, plus the equipment is right up there with the M3 and the Dynaudio speaker system actually blows the Logic 7 I had in the M3 with much better bass, better vocals and better separation.
hows the jag? handling and quality specially? Also I do like the Axe heads.. very unique and uber cool
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Nice. Believe it or not, the GTI is actually an idea I'm entertaining as my next DD. The 335 is just too expensive and too rarely unleashed for a daily, and the GTI does really well at its price point. I would like it even better if they offered the GTD here. If so, then my consideration for the VW would be even greater.

I was entertaining that color as well. Nice to see it in some real world pics. It's nice.

I agree with you about those wheels. I'm not a fan either, and I wish they would offer something (anything) else OEM.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Nice!

I just picked up a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen SEL 2.0T in Platinum Grey. If carbon grey was a choice it would have been mine. I'm loving that color. The new MK6 GTI's are much sexier then the MK5 GTI's.

Ur right about the Dynaudio and fit and finish of the car. Very surprised so far with VW.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Love that car, can't wait for it to come to Canada

Ya those rims are nasty, they really need to change that up asap.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
The GTI is a fantastic car for the money. I have a very loaded 2008.5 and I am not looking forward to the day I have to sell it (when the 135 arrives in about a month).

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #14
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
hows the jag? handling and quality specially? Also I do like the Axe heads.. very unique and uber cool
The Jag isn't the M3 in terms of handling, but then few saloon cars are. If you were to compare it to a 535i then it's better both in steering feel and suspension control.

Quality is incredible, especially the Portfolio version that I got, seriously this thing oozes quality and luxury like no BMW I know of, including the new 7 series. Some features it has that are great, like the keyless system which works like most others but on this one if your car is locked and you only unlock the boot which keeps the car locked and while getting what it is out of the boot you happen to leave the keys in it the boot will not lock. You slam the boot closed and after a second the car beeps at you and opens the boot again. The same for leaving the keys inside the cabin, it beeps and won't allow you to lock it.

Probably as most Jag owners are old and forgetful this was a necessity.

Another great thing about it is the stereo, both sound quality from the B&W amp/speakers which is truly mind blowing in comparison to both the Audi I last had and the system in the M3 and the headunit itself, it's a 6disc cd charger, complete with iphone connection, usb input, DAB radio and touch screen. It comes complete with Dolby 7.1 ProLogicII and Dolby 3ch, then the range of adjustment is also great, you can adjust not only the sound stage but the volume through the centre and surround speakers. Needless to say music is important to me and a good sound system makes every journey more enjoyable.

The ride quality deserves a mention, it's firm compared to Jags of the past but still way better than anything BMW or Audi offer yet still handling better than both, I don't know how they did it but I'm glad all the same. Another thing I need to say is the refinement, again incredible just how quiet it is at speed, zero engine noise, zero wind noise and only a very slight bit of road noise which is expected given it rides on 20" rims.

Power, it's not an M3 but that said it's performance is more accessible than the M3 and the torque it's got is mighty.

Best car to date?

It's got to be in with a shout.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #15
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Nice. Believe it or not, the GTI is actually an idea I'm entertaining as my next DD. The 335 is just too expensive and too rarely unleashed for a daily, and the GTI does really well at its price point. I would like it even better if they offered the GTD here. If so, then my consideration for the VW would be even greater.
We too considered the GTD but settled on the GTI as the wife ain't a fan of diesels. That said I drove back for the dealers, a 40 mile journey all on B-roads and the thing returned an incredible 41.2mpg, this was sticking to a 50~60mph limit.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
audiprotein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi a4

it looks like a mini Touareg on a 2nd pic...
Foot, tu russkiy?
      09-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #17
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Nice!

I just picked up a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen SEL 2.0T in Platinum Grey. If carbon grey was a choice it would have been mine. I'm loving that color. The new MK6 GTI's are much sexier then the MK5 GTI's.

Ur right about the Dynaudio and fit and finish of the car. Very surprised so far with VW.
For the money the new GTI has to be a bargain, it's easily as well built and finished as an A3 or 1 series, in my opinion better and the Dynaudio+touch screen 6disc charger unit is incredible value for money, that option was over £100 cheaper than BMW ask me for the Logic7 yet it's far better in both sound and practicality giving me 6 cd player, SD card and USB input. Plus it looks way better than both.

If there's one car that VW got right it's the new GTI, a definite winner in my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #18
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiprotein View Post
it looks like a mini Touareg on a 2nd pic...
Foot, tu russkiy?
I think the GTI badge will give it away.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #19
audiprotein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi a4

09-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

I dig those wheels and always have. Unique.
      09-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #21
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
The Jag isn't the M3 in terms of handling, but then few saloon cars are. If you were to compare it to a 535i then it's better both in steering feel and suspension control.

Quality is incredible, especially the Portfolio version that I got, seriously this thing oozes quality and luxury like no BMW I know of, including the new 7 series. Some features it has that are great, like the keyless system which works like most others but on this one if your car is locked and you only unlock the boot which keeps the car locked and while getting what it is out of the boot you happen to leave the keys in it the boot will not lock. You slam the boot closed and after a second the car beeps at you and opens the boot again. The same for leaving the keys inside the cabin, it beeps and won't allow you to lock it.

Probably as most Jag owners are old and forgetful this was a necessity.

Another great thing about it is the stereo, both sound quality from the B&W amp/speakers which is truly mind blowing in comparison to both the Audi I last had and the system in the M3 and the headunit itself, it's a 6disc cd charger, complete with iphone connection, usb input, DAB radio and touch screen. It comes complete with Dolby 7.1 ProLogicII and Dolby 3ch, then the range of adjustment is also great, you can adjust not only the sound stage but the volume through the centre and surround speakers. Needless to say music is important to me and a good sound system makes every journey more enjoyable.

The ride quality deserves a mention, it's firm compared to Jags of the past but still way better than anything BMW or Audi offer yet still handling better than both, I don't know how they did it but I'm glad all the same. Another thing I need to say is the refinement, again incredible just how quiet it is at speed, zero engine noise, zero wind noise and only a very slight bit of road noise which is expected given it rides on 20" rims.

Power, it's not an M3 but that said it's performance is more accessible than the M3 and the torque it's got is mighty.

Best car to date?

It's got to be in with a shout.
tinkering with the idea of going and test driving one... but we never get any diesels... I want a diesel as my DD.. love my 335 way too much to get rid of it ... just yet
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #22
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

nice car!! congrats ! i relly like how the new GTI looks!

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0