BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-25-2006, 09:10 PM   #45
conocelo
Private
Mexico
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

other thing you can do on the pictures of your cars is to put your mail or something that identifies you.
i have seen in some forums steel of photos..... YES they use the photo of your car saying its theirs.
188s 17in
225/45
255/40

06 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 09:11 PM   #46
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
And if you saw that car on the street or the cars at the festival, you would have the same license info.

The web gives way more people access than any car show ever would.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #47
user1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 330ci; 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944
The web gives way more people access than any car show ever would.
You have a point. Plus, a smart thief wouldn’t browse a car show and risk interacting with their potential victims in person.

A smart thief can go online to boards like this and find the exact car they want (or their customers “order”). Its like online shopping for thieves looking for specific specs and colors. Much easier than pounding the pavement looking for the right color but finding not all the specs needed. Its easy for a thief to browse through the specific specs of numerous e90s in their area to find a couple of matches. Then its a quick search to find out exactly where the owners live giving a lazy but smart thief a nice list of targets with just the right specs. The thief hasn’t tipped his hand to anyone or wasted time running around town. It’s a fast grab of the most open target of what has been found online.

I believe in being over cautious online even if its probably not needed. Even if the chance of your car being stolen this way is extremely minimal lets not be naive and not think there aren’t some dishonest people out there that use this method. Unless the thief is caught and talks no one would ever know this is how they found your car. I don’t post many things online but if I post a picture of my houses, cars or anything else I would blur the identifiable marks. No harm in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuthair
They can get your VIN number... and with that VIN number they can go to the dealer and get a key for your car.

That's why I put a piece of paper covering my VIN on my dash. I had my last car stolen... I called up my dealer's parts dept pretending that I lost my key and asking for a new one: "Oh, no prob, give me your VIN number and we'll order a new one." No asking my name, id, nothing.
I saw one of those evening news investigative pieces where they did this. While a person was shopping at a mall they made calls from the parking lot, went a dealership and got keys. When the owner came out the news crew asked if they could open their car for the owner. If the news crew had been thieves the car would have been gone for hours before the owner even knew it was gone. A cop they interviewed recommended covering your VIN and not etching it into your glass (done to deter thieves from stealing the car for the parts). The officer did say something about covering the VIN makes police suspect those cars as stolen since thieves cover the VINs. But its better to be singled out by a cop once in your life than be singled out by a thief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitta
Why do they blurr them out on TV shows like COPS? I suppose to protect people, no?
No, only to protect the producers from potential law suits, nothing more.
There was a behind the scenes show where the producers & crew talked about the show and this question came up. The funny thing about that is the show Cops gets those people to sign waivers to allow their face to be shown on TV. Most of the time the waivers are requested by one of the shows crew right there on the spot. Sometimes they follow up if the person isn’t able to sign away (like if they are drunk). I’m always amazed at how many people actually are willing to sign the waiver. If the waiver is not signed they blur the face.

Last edited by user1; 07-25-2006 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #48
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

say a lazy thief is browsing in here for a specific color.

came out with 3 matches in the same city.

one has a blurred plate. (since he's lazy he'll just focus on the other two with available plates.) he could do a search of the person's posts and learns that there's more items in the car and learns of the target's patterns. say... i work here... park my car here.... always have a camera in my car... and so on...

again. he could do a little bit of research on the one with the blurred plates but you wouldnt want to be the first on his list.
      07-25-2006, 10:26 PM   #49
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I believe it started when expensive modded cars were posted online and thieves saw them and found out where they lived and stole them. I wouldn't worry about a stock e90, or probably even ones with mods. It's not like a civic or an integra with a motor swap and tons of things that are easily parted out.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 10:39 PM   #50
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
I think the paranoia comes from windows users, with all the warning balloons and messages that constantly make them afraid of something.

come and get it.

or this one

07-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #51
Luongo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T

Someone could call a cop and make a false report. "I just saw a car driving at an exteremely high speed in a school zone and running 2 stop signs and a red light. It looked like the driver was drunk since he was swerving in and out of the lane. It was a silver BMW wagon with an Illinois plate #9017066."

I wonder if cops would take this seriously and bother the owner or not? I'll just blank out my plate and avoid any potential problems...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 08:42 AM   #52
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo
Someone could call a cop and make a false report. "I just saw a car driving at an exteremely high speed in a school zone and running 2 stop signs and a red light. It looked like the driver was drunk since he was swerving in and out of the lane. It was a silver BMW wagon with an Illinois plate #9017066."

I wonder if cops would take this seriously and bother the owner or not? I'll just blank out my plate and avoid any potential problems...
Give it a shot, and tell us how it went!

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #53
Luongo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49
Give it a shot, and tell us how it went!
I wouldn't do that to a fellow E90post member.

But this world is full of sick and wacky people.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 09:32 AM   #54
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
But this world is full of sick and wacky people.
Winner!! Most accurate statement made so far. Answers OP.

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 10:41 AM   #55
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien Crotty
...and I follow the Roosevelt philosophy of "Speak softly and carry a big stick" to account for all those who want to track me down ....
Brien
Me too, 'cept my stick has a couple of companions called Barrel, Receiver, and Magazine.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 10:43 AM   #56
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:

I guess that's possible, but considering I'm 1000 miles from my car, it shouldn't be too hard to establish an alibi.
There are wacky people I guess, but really I just think that car photos look better without the plate blackouts, especially the sloppy ones, and I'm not too paranoid about it.
      07-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #57
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-lee
I can just take any old license plate number out of the parking lot and go to DMV and buy the personal information including home address, age, bday, etc (although i'm not sure if they still do this). eh....who knows y people do what they do
I don't think you can do that in California anymore after Rebecca Schaeffer was stalked and murdered back in the '89 by some fiend that did just that.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 12:29 PM   #58
adamlaz
Rep
Drives: 325i

Maybe soon all of is will be able to look up license plates...

read this

I found that article on digg.

Also Installed:
-Huper Optik 30 Tints-
-Belkin iPod Auto Kit-
-More To Come-
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #59
Brien Crotty
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i with xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank
Me too, 'cept my stick has a couple of companions called Barrel, Receiver, and Magazine.
Mine, too. I carry the Sesame Street stick, brought to you by the letters H&K, and the numbers 4 and 5.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #60
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD
Parinoia at it's finest.

My California plate reads: 5RJZ398

Now, go for it!

lol..mine is 5RJZ677

kinda funny how close it is..we were on the same boat too...
      08-13-2006, 11:35 PM   #61
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
oh man....

just live your lives.

If you worry about the bad things that others can do, you forget to do the good things you can do.