BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

01-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
RudyP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, AM V8V, 993 C4S, 996TT

2011 iDrive Nav - adaptive split screen?

Until this morning, I had my iDrive set up with a split screen in my '11 M3. The right side was turn arrows when an active destination was selected in nav mode and showed GPS position if no destination was set. It switched back and forth between these and I found it a good setting. For some reason, since this morning it only shows the turn arrows and if no destination is set, it just shows a blank screen on the right. I can manually toggle it to a bunch of other settings (including GPS location) but then I lose the arrows with an active course. I don't know what happened and can't get it back to the way it was. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Looks like several people have viewed your thread and don't know the answer. I don't either. I just know that that never happens on my 335i with Nav... so it shouldn't on your M3. Bring it into your dealer...
      01-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Mine has never switched back and forth between two selecatable screen views, so I'm not sure. Usually when I select a split screen mode (..entertainment details, NAV travel direction, GPS, etc.), it stays that way. I'll test it out tonight though.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
RudyP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, AM V8V, 993 C4S, 996TT

Plot thickens: this morning I get in my car and it is in the mode with GPS location on the right whereas it had been blank last night. Seems like a good sign so I punch in a destination to see if it switches to directional arrows on the right and it does! So good news, it seems to be back the way it was. Except that I then cancel guidance to see if it switches back to GPS coordinates and that's when it lets me down and just becomes a blank screen on the right side. Perhaps it's only GPS coordinates on every start until I set a GPS course, at which point the right side can only be arrows? That seems to be the likely scenario and could have been this way all along I suppose since I usually don't cancel route guidance, I just arrive at my destination and turn off the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
kwbunn
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Convertible

How funny.

Mine started doing the same thing yesterday...and it's a 2012. I think you're on to something. I'm going to experiment and get it back the way it was, because, I liked it much better that way.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Can you guys list your settings?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
Volta
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Are you using different keys possibly or have your second key in the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
mark896
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volta View Post
Are you using different keys possibly or have your second key in the car?
This was my guess, mistakenly using the other key.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Em Trey Drvr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

You are correct. The system only shows GPS coordinates after the car is restarted in the Nav Arrows mode. If you cancel nab, it'll stay blank until the next time you start your car. It's not a malfunction; it's the way the cars a re programmed. Figured this out about a year ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyP View Post
Plot thickens: this morning I get in my car and it is in the mode with GPS location on the right whereas it had been blank last night. Seems like a good sign so I punch in a destination to see if it switches to directional arrows on the right and it does! So good news, it seems to be back the way it was. Except that I then cancel guidance to see if it switches back to GPS coordinates and that's when it lets me down and just becomes a blank screen on the right side. Perhaps it's only GPS coordinates on every start until I set a GPS course, at which point the right side can only be arrows? That seems to be the likely scenario and could have been this way all along I suppose since I usually don't cancel route guidance, I just arrive at my destination and turn off the car.