BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #23
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
The title of my post was simply a small bit of drama to attract attention and then to discuss a point I thought to be quite interesting to ponder. Get with it - I'm not that pompous!

However, given the overwhelmingly passionaite discussions we have here as enthusiasts, I think it is totally fair to say that the dedicated BMW folks who poured their souls into this car over the last couple of years are overflowing with emotion about these preliminary reviews/comparisons. Each probably has a different mixture of emotions but for sure I know they are STRONG. To believe any less is to be totally deluded or even inhuman.
If I were to assume that I know what BMW is thinking, I'd assume they're thinking "Wait until the official tests, reviews, and comparisons hit the shelves. BMW fans will be pleasantly surprised. Audi and MB fans....no so much."
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #24
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3onTwomps View Post
I didn't know you speak on behalf of BMW.

I'm not going to assume to know what they're thinking.
Ya Swamp, I am starting to wonder if you are a higher up at the M division, hired to troll this forum. Not much positive to say about the other manufactures, especially the mates at PAG. Give us some real inside info.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #25
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintenasi View Post
You just feel bad your friends here, the M3 fans, are actually agreeing with me?

Oh, actually, since I joined here now you will all start the old story again: the M3 is the best car* in the world.

And I will agree with you.

*after the 335i.
Here we go again...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #26
kishg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 540i/6

so yet another thread in the toilet i see.. for what it's worth, i put at least some stock in the preliminary reviews. of course i will still test drive the car myself but in reality i am not going to be able to push the car to the limit on a test drive, so reviews + test drive + price will guide my decision. if i was a m division engineer, i'd be upset at these reviews and be wondering what went wrong frankly..
BMWCCA #360858 SCCA# 374179 NASA # 128290
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #27
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Ya Swamp, I am starting to wonder if you are a higher up at the M division, hired to troll this forum. Not much positive to say about the other manufactures, especially the mates at PAG. Give us some real inside info.
Ha ha, you are really funny. I could only wish I worked for BMW M.

Despite enjoying a good debate with some P-car fans I did have much positive to say about P-cars. I love them. Always have, always will. I'd have a GT3 or turbo in my garage if I could stomach throwing that much money at a car. I REALLY like the RS4 as well. If I still lived in Alaska I'd likely already own one.

Not more more inside info from me. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 12:56 AM   #28
Lex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i M Sport Sport Wagon

Garage List
Each generation of car keeps getting better, they may have smoothed out the ride from the last generation but does anyone doubt the new car will absolutely beat the e46 or the RS4 in lane change & skidpad #'s. I believe these test drives are with pre-production models and they haven't worked out all the bugs yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 04:31 AM   #29
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

I drove around the launch hotel in Marbella in the RS4 just to wind up the BMW reps, but they all looked pretty comfortable with the predatorial Audi being driven nearby.

To be honest, I see no reason why they should have minded, the M3 does everything an M3 should, its just that the competition have closed in and now offer a viable alternative.

Once some cars are on the road you will see how distinctly different the character of each car really is, and that's what will distinguish the success of the E92 M3. There is room in the market for each of them (and the C63) but I am sure BMW will feel their pride dented by the closer comparisons.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 06:12 AM   #30
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

Then BMW should have kept true to the M legend by bringing out a new car that was far and away the best as it pretty much always has been.
      07-20-2007, 06:29 AM   #31
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
Then BMW should have kept true to the M legend by bringing out a new car that was far and away the best as it pretty much always has been.
Sure, it's just that simple...
      07-20-2007, 06:45 AM   #32
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
I personally don't think that is possible. Given the inherent constraints of the platorm they started with, they've done a great job. The engine is superb. As with any evolution, the growth eventually plateaus and provided it does not go backwards then we may need to adjust our expecations of what is possible and enjoy what we've got.

Amidst all this negativity what seems to become lost is just how good the new M3 actually is - whether or not it exceeds competitors by a similar margin as before should really be irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 06:57 AM   #33
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post

Amidst all this negativity what seems to become lost is just how good the new M3 actually is - whether or not it exceeds competitors by a similar margin as before should really be irrelevant.
I agree 100%.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #34
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

I understand all this, don't worry. I just won't be getting my hands on an E92 to find out, so I have to go on the balance of these initial reports and there's just slightly more negatives than positives so far. It sounds crushingly capable, and just a little lacking in that extra zest M cars have been known to possess, from what I've read.

But know this, deep inside I want this car badly, love how it looks, would happily throw a lot of money at it to be Individual-ised and be very happy to find out for myself what it is like, but not being in that position and not likely to be, I have to work out things from text, which is all someone's opinion, for us to make of it what we will.