BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

04-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Running a bit more power, LC about brought the rear end around on me

It's about 71 degrees out and sunny. Figured it would be a good day to try out LC with my Test Pipes + evolve tune.

Here are the conditions I tried LC under:
  • I have a semi private road that is nearly a 1/4 mile long with good pavement. The road declines very slightly for the length of the road and is consistent.
  • I am running Apex Arc-8s with Michelin PSS 265 up front and 285 in the rear.
  • The rear's have about 20k on them but still a good amount of tread.
  • I have used LC on this road before in similar conditions and the rear end did not try to jump around on me. However, those launches were with stock power but on same tires.

Soon as the car launched I got quite a bit of wheel spin with the car trying to pull to the left. The skid marks show the car moved to the left while launching. I managed to more or less keep the car straight up to about 40-45 mph before I could no longer fight off the rear end (the 1-2 gear change definitely didn't help) and I had to back out or lose complete control. It was a bit of a fight still at that point to not spin out.

Suffice to say I was quite surprised. I expected this kind of behavior out of my 68 Camaro that I would drag race on occasion but not out of my mild mannered M3!

I think I stayed in the power too long because I was a bit shocked that it was trying to come around on me!

Do the experienced LC guys have any advice? Am I just relegated to the old fashioned start in first, get rolling slightly and floor it? That is just not the same experience as LC! Maybe if I brought the LC revs down 500? Do I need to run stickier tires to do this maybe? I'm just thinking what I can do to still be able to use LC to its fullest potential without killing myself.

That was about all of the excitement I needed for today that was for sure!
      04-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Should be called burnout control. All it seems to do is let the DCT dump the clutch from a stop. Reduce your launch rpm. Also, there are throttle positions available between 0% and 100% you should check that out its a good train
      04-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Should be called burnout control. All it seems to do is let the DCT dump the clutch from a stop. Reduce your launch rpm. Also, there are throttle positions available between 0% and 100% you should check that out its a good train
Thanks for the advice. According to the manual if you do anything other than 100% throttle it will cancel the automatic upshifts, I have not confirmed that though. I suppose better 80% throttle than ending up in a tree
      04-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Pedaling it is always better than being up a tree!
      04-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Thanks for the advice. According to the manual if you do anything other than 100% throttle it will cancel the automatic upshifts, I have not confirmed that though. I suppose better 80% throttle than ending up in a tree
In that case, there are paddles on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0