BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #23
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
Alright, either the tech is stupid, lazy, or does not know how to write a story.

There is no fault that a wheel bearing or axle will set in the computer. NONE! They are mechanical components. There is a wheel speed sensor that reads vehicle speed, but that's it. I still am of the opinion that they are simply incopetent, and telling you a story.

Here is a diagram of the rear wheel bearing. No electronic components.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...31&hg=33&fg=40
While I agree that there is no code associated to the wheel bearing, it is very possible that the spacers could cause premature wear to those bearings. This is exactly the kind of situation that people have to be prepared for when modding. People always say that the dealer has to prove that the damage was cause by the mod but that is obviously not the case here. The dealer has made a diagnosis (right or wrong it doesn't really matter) and has voided the warranty on that part. Now the burden is on the owner to show them that either their diagnosis is wrong or just pay up. Sucks but that's the way it usually goes.

Good luck and I hope you get it fixed somehow.
      11-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #24
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
While I agree that there is no code associated to the wheel bearing, it is very possible that the spacers could cause premature wear to those bearings. This is exactly the kind of situation that people have to be prepared for when modding. People always say that the dealer has to prove that the damage was cause by the mod but that is obviously not the case here. The dealer has made a diagnosis (right or wrong it doesn't really matter) and has voided the warranty on that part. Now the burden is on the owner to show them that either their diagnosis is wrong or just pay up. Sucks but that's the way it usually goes.

Good luck and I hope you get it fixed somehow.

Yes, spacers can cause premature failiure of a wheel bearing. Some other factors are tracking your car, autocrossing, poor road quality etc.

While the owner needs to be aware of possible failiures associated to spacers, he did not go into the dealership complaining of a "roaring noise," coming fromt he rear of the vehicle.

If he replaced the wheel bearing, and the DSC lights come on again, what's going to be the dealer excuse for mis-diagnosing the problem at that point?
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #25
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

The dealer installed mine & other forum dwellers spacers for them. Never mentioned anything about voiding the warranty because of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #26
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
The dealer installed mine & other forum dwellers spacers for them. Never mentioned anything about voiding the warranty because of it.
There is a sticker on your windshield that clearly calls it out. Don't be naive, when push comes to shove, it will be an issue. I don't mean that you won't over come it, just that it will be a pain in the ass for you.

Last edited by jml; 11-06-2009 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #27
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
Alright, either the tech is stupid, lazy, or does not know how to write a story.

There is no fault that a wheel bearing or axle will set in the computer. NONE! They are mechanical components. There is a wheel speed sensor that reads vehicle speed, but that's it. I still am of the opinion that they are simply incopetent, and telling you a story.

Here is a diagram of the rear wheel bearing. No electronic components.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...31&hg=33&fg=40

+1 -- You should drive a few hours and go see Bogdan -- it sounds like he can help
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 02:21 AM   #28
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
There is a sticker on your windshield that clearly calls it out. Don't be naive, when push comes to shove, it will be an issue. I don't mean that you won't over come it, just that it will be a pain in the ass for you.
Sticker? What sticker?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #29
jojogoya88
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 IB

Im not going to put my spacers on again, they'll be in the for sale section soon.

12mm front 10mm back...with extended lugs (Macht Schnell)
      11-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #30
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
+1 -- You should drive a few hours and go see Bogdan -- it sounds like he can help

I just wish his dealer could help him.

What sucks, is that even though we have the same computers at MINI, they will not work on BMW's.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #31
jojogoya88
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So it was the spacers that most likely wore down my wheel bearing?
      11-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #32
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojogoya88 View Post
So it was the spacers that most likely wore down my wheel bearing?

It is a possiblity, but if they fixed it for you already.. you're ok.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #33
jojogoya88
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well in that case im not going to put the spacers back on, and il just buy some wheels in the near future that have offsets big enough to fill the gap without requiring the use of spacers.
      11-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #34
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

I've been running spacers 15mm front & 12mm rear with 5,000 miles now. I had them installed after the 12000 mile service. Haven't had any problems yet with them. Knock on wood.