BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Closed Thread

02-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #89
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Nurburgring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorPR View Post
This is for armyav8tor and Trier Germany. I live about 1h 20min from the Nurburgring and I'm planning on tackling the course this spring/summer. I have been there before, including going on a joy ride with Sabine in her Porsche, but never driven the course myself.

What sound advice could you give me.

Thanks...
First of all take it slow! Our M3's are very powerful cars and can get up to triple digits in a hurry. The ring takes time to learn and if your not patient the ring can bite! I would suggest taking a 2 day driver training at the Nordschleife they teach proper lines technique and train by sections. The course also includes drivers safety course to teach you recovery methods incase the ring catches you out.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 01:58 AM   #90
ThorPR
Let's Race
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
First of all take it slow! Our M3's are very powerful cars and can get up to triple digits in a hurry. The ring takes time to learn and if your not patient the ring can bite! I would suggest taking a 2 day driver training at the Nordschleife they teach proper lines technique and train by sections. The course also includes drivers safety course to teach you recovery methods incase the ring catches you out.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the input. Do you recommend any specific driver training class at the Nurburgring?

Thanks...

2010 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White - DCT
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 02:02 AM   #91
ThorPR
Let's Race
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
Take it slow at first and study the lines. There are a bunch of videos online, or just watch a few of my videos as those are the lines they teach for the track minus Brunchen where I like to give the viewing audience false hope of seeing a crash :P I've seen a few of my friends take it a little too aggressively and ended up in the Armco barriers. Other than that, enjoy it. Wish I was still stationed in Germany.

Thanks for the input. I will really take it is easy until I get a better understanding of the layout and difficulty of the track...

I really like all the videos you took. Very cool. You really haul butt around the ring. What was your fastest Ring time?

2010 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White - DCT

Last edited by ThorPR; 02-14-2010 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 02:06 AM   #92
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Very interesting analysis about the effects of installing lowering springs.

I have a suggestion that will give your theory a little more factual 'weight'...

Your calculations should factor in the progressive spring rate of every aftermarket lowering spring on the market.

The current crop of lowering spring for the M3 will all have different progressive spring rates, so they will all behave a little different with the OE shocks and struts.

From my perspective, Dinan and Eibach got it right...and everyone else got it wrong.

+1

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #93
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I wasn't a fan of Springs at first! But after having a few PAX laps at the ring in my buddies M3-E92 coupe with H&R I was sold. Only time will tell to see if the aftermarket sprigs will damage the EDC shocks. I am till waiting for some EDC compatible coil-overs. I know i wont purchase factory replacement shocks way too expensive! So I hope by the time the factory shocks wear out they have EDC compatible coil-overs, or I'll just get the KW Variant 3's

Will you ever come back to Germany?
Hopefully, when I hit the tracks here, I'll get the opportunity to ride in a M3 lowered on springs. But even then, I still would probably stay stock. I just don't do enough spirited driving these days to justify any modifications. In fact, I've put about 2,000 miles on the M3 since I moved back to the States almost a year ago.

I'll be back in Germany for sure. Probably not on Uncle Sam's dime though as getting stationed there as an Apache pilot is getting harder. I'll probably rent something at the Ring or do a EU delivery.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #94
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I will really take it is easy until I get a better understanding of the layout and difficulty of the track...

I really like all the videos you took. Very cool. You really haul butt around the ring. What was your fastest Ring time?
Fastest was 8:07 in traffic. I was hoping for a 8 min lap on video but my brakes and tires were not having it. Next time I go back, I'll get the 8 min lap on video
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #95
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Back to Germany

Quote:
Hopefully, when I hit the tracks here, I'll get the opportunity to ride in a M3 lowered on springs. But even then, I still would probably stay stock. I just don't do enough spirited driving these days to justify any modifications. In fact, I've put about 2,000 miles on the M3 since I moved back to the States almost a year ago.

I'll be back in Germany for sure. Probably not on Uncle Sam's dime though as getting stationed there as an Apache pilot is getting harder. I'll probably rent something at the Ring or do a EU delivery.
Euro delivery sounds awesome! What would you be in the market for? M1 or F-30 M3? both cars would be insane.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #96
ThorPR
Let's Race
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fastest was 8:07 in traffic. I was hoping for a 8 min lap on video but my brakes and tires were not having it. Next time I go back, I'll get the 8 min lap on video
8:07 is absolutely great. I take my hat off to you.

If you come back please let me know. I would like to see you break the 8min lap time on the Ring.

I'm planning on attending the 2010 Nurburgring 24 this year. I will make sure to post a bunch of pics. I will also try to take some pics and hopefully some video of my run this spring/summer. I better hurry up as I'm slotted to leave for the big A very soon.

2010 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White - DCT
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #97
rzm3
Rep

Guys let's stay on topic please
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #98
ThorPR
Let's Race
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Guys let's stay on topic please
Sorry about that...

2010 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White - DCT
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #99
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry about that...
Just one last tip, and you may already know this. Watch out for Adenauer-Forst, that corner is notorious for catching first timers off guard. If you don't know where that corner is, it is where I almost killed that biker in the video I tagged in this thread. As with a lot of the turns on the track, it is a late turn-in. Most guys get it wrong and end up busting up their suspension when they run out of pavement and crash up into the white and red. Just do a search on youtube for "adenauer forst crash", pretty entertaining. My wife and I used to make the hike up there with our picnic basket and lawn chairs to watch people crash. Its a German pass time.

Actually, just thought of another tip. Try to hit the Ring on a weekday, you'll get a much clearer track. They usually open the track up from 1700 to 1900.

I'm heading to Afghanistan tomorrow, yay :P Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to hit the Ring on block leave
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #100
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Euro delivery sounds awesome! What would you be in the market for? M1 or F-30 M3? both cars would be insane.
Definitely not getting a 1-series no matter how bad ass it is. I'm going to keep the M3 forever since we've shared so many "oh shit" moments at the Ring. Maybe a Z4 or a F31 / F11 stationwagon for the wife. But that is way down the road.

Anyway, sorry for the
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #101
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
I wasn't a fan of Springs at first! But after having a few PAX laps at the ring in my buddies M3-E92 coupe with H&R I was sold. Only time will tell to see if the aftermarket sprigs will damage the EDC shocks. I am till waiting for some EDC compatible coil-overs. I know i wont purchase factory replacement shocks way too expensive! So I hope by the time the factory shocks wear out they have EDC compatible coil-overs, or I'll just get the KW Variant 3's

Will you ever come back to Germany?
So real world tells us lowering springs don't ruin the M3,unless the op has ride comfort and such in mind.

Most people I know who put the right lowering springs on their cars saw improvement in handling, in autocross anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #102
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

My Bilsteins feel great... better than stock!
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #103
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
My Bilsteins feel great... better than stock!
This thread is about lowering springs only not coilovers
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #104
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

M3 Edition model runs 10mm lower springs. It has no tweeks suspension wise other than shorter springs. I assume this is pretty much as low as one can go without running out of spring travel given that BMW would have extensively tested them.
Could be another option for people with EDC.

Last edited by Ant Man; 02-23-2010 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #105
riyatch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Where did you get this information? Do you you have a source for this info because I was under the impression that other components were changed to the suspension to acheive the drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
M3 Edition model runs 10mm lower springs. It has no tweeks suspension wise other than shorter springs. I assume this is pretty much as low as one can go without running out of spring travel given that BMW would have extensively tested them.
Could be another option for people with EDC.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #106
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by riyatch View Post
Where did you get this information? Do you you have a source for this info because I was under the impression that other components were changed to the suspension to acheive the drop.
If other things were done to it (which is entirely possible), then they weren't mentioned in the press release I think.

I'd be surprised if at least the bump stops aren't different - someone with access to the current ETK should be able to confirm the changes pretty easily.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #107
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
If other things were done to it (which is entirely possible), then they weren't mentioned in the press release I think.

I'd be surprised if at least the bump stops aren't different - someone with access to the current ETK should be able to confirm the changes pretty easily.
I'm under the assumption that the Edition had the same suspension as the Japanese M3, which also sat 10mm lower than US, European, and Australian M3s. A few forum members did some research last year and found out that the Japanese M3 had different shocks as well as springs, which leads me to believe that the Edition shocks are also different from ours.

By the way, until we see some part numbers, I'm also assuming that the ZCP package is running this same Edition/Japanese suspension setup.

Here's that thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226909
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #108
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I'm under the assumption that the Edition had the same suspension as the Japanese M3, which also sat 10mm lower than US, European, and Australian M3s. A few forum members did some research last year and found out that the Japanese M3 had different shocks as well as springs, which leads me to believe that the Edition shocks are also different from ours.

By the way, until we see some part numbers, I'm also assuming that the ZCP package is running this same Edition/Japanese suspension setup.

Here's that thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226909
Your assumption is correct.

The Competition package does use new 10mm lower springs and new re-valved EDC shocks/struts. (including revised EDC programming)
      02-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #109
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

My local dealer. The competition package does include EDC changes but he was adamant that for 'Edition' models, nothing other than 10mm shorter springs are changed. The rating is the same too.

However, I have a good contact at Sytner (a large UK franchise) and will ask him to try and confirm with BMW AG though sometimes Germany does not play ball.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #110
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
My local dealer. The competition package does include EDC changes but he was adamant that for 'Edition' models, nothing other than 10mm shorter springs are changed. The rating is the same too.

However, I have a good contact at Sytner (a large UK franchise) and will ask him to try and confirm with BMW AG though sometimes Germany does not play ball.
Try to get the part numbers for the Edition shocks and bumpstops. We can quickly compare them to part numbers of the non-Edition equipment. If they match, then your dealer may be right. I doubt that will be the case, though.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread