BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

12-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Terp1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 BMW 325Ci

135 Purchase in Limbo

Ever since the 1 series came out I've been planning on getting it as my next car. I even got my wife to agree to it. She is currently finishing her Master's and will be done Sep. '09, so I planned on getting it through ED in Sep/Oct '09. It would be a win/win for both of us, I get the 1'er and she gets a trip to Europe.

Here's the problem: We've outgrown our house. We plan on putting our current house on the market in Spring of '10, hopefully selling it, and then getting a bigger house. The concern is if I get the 1 it will negatively affect our ability to get a house.

Should I wait until after we get the house? I don't know if I can wait that long. Help!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
By itself, I don't think a new car will affect your ability to get a loan as much as whether you manage to successfully sell your current house and both of you have solid jobs (with enough income to qualify). If you're on the bubble, forget the car. You have about 7 months to decide.
      12-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
Terp1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I guess I'll have to see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

it will drop your credit score, how much it hurts depends on your score

my score dropped over 50 points, and has been going up 1 point per month
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
Terp1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

50 points, ouch! Looks like I'm in wait and see mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

I'm not an expert, but I'm not clear as to why a car loan would so negatively affect your credit score. Usually, when you are approved for a loan your credit score goes up as that is a positive indicator on your credit score. Your credit score is typically predicated upon your history of paying back your debts as well as how much available credit you are using vs how much you have (how much balance you are carrying). So as long as you are making your payments, that too, is a positive thing.

However, there may be a negative affect on your ability to get a home loan. One of the things they will look at is the percentage of your income which is available to pay for your home loan. If most of your income is taken up with payments on credit card debt (and they'll make certain assumptions based on your open balances) and car loans, etc. you may get denied for a home loan with a higher value than you may have now.

Of course, all of this is assuming that we don't all perish in the post-financapocalypse. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 06:46 AM   #7
Terp1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the sunny outlook. Over the next couple of months I'll probably talk to some banks and mortgage lenders and see what they say.
Appreciate 0