BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

02-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Was invited to go check out the Aston Martin Rapide (and DBS)

(Pics will be up later. I don't have time for that now.)

First impression: It's not all that great. It certainly isn't $200,000 great.

The car had a champagne color to it. It's absolutely HUGE in person, dwarfing the Vantage, and looking noticeably bigger than the DBS that sat in the room adjacent to it. I wouldn't be surprised if its wheelbase is similar in size to an S-Class/7 Series/A8. The design and proportions do a pretty good job of masking the extra size, but I was unimpressed as a whole. They didn't try anything new here, and it occurred to me (at least in my mind), that the AM design language doesn't work too well when you have to make compromises for another two passengers.

The front end is too soft, already looking dated next to the Vantage and DBS. The headlights are too long in shape, and lack the requisite modern detailing (established by Audi; notice the amount of detail in modern BMW/VW headlights as well). The rear looks awkward, for an Aston that is, like everything is scrunched and tiny compared to the rest of the car. The taillights are still incandescent bulbs...seriously...on a $200k car? I expect the car to look much better after its eventual facelift.

The interior didn't scream $$$ either. Quality was average; not terrible, but nothing stood out to me. If you've sat in any modern Aston you won't be surprised here. The seats were nice...maybe the best thing about the interior. The rear was cramped. Head room isn't a problem, but leg space is. The "oh-shit" handles in the back were cool little metal bars hanging from leather straps that magnetically attach to the B-Pillar. Neat feature imo. Most functions are activated by crystal round buttons: transmission, fold down seats, etc. Trunk space wasn't bad considering the shape. It has a huge hatch for a trunk

All-in-all, I'd rather have a Panamera Turbo. That car is brilliant. It has multiple thought-out details, feels better put together, is much faster, and imo, it isn't really all that ugly in person. It's also much cheaper.

The only thing that extra $50k buys you in the Rapide is exclusivity.

Last edited by Year's_End; 02-16-2010 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Go do it, you will have a great time and it in the fresh is probably the best looking four door/four seater in the world. Though I was less impressed with the DBS, giving it a sporty edge has lost it some of the elegance and that gear lever is awful.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I agree with you 100% I recently drove an Aston V8 Vantage, and it was as you described above. Mediocre in every way except looks. I was especially disappointed in the handling. I haven't seen the Rapide in person, but if it's anything like the rest of the range, it isn't that impressive. I have also driven a Panamera, and it is a phenominal car. The interior is a plact I like to be, even in the back! And that car is a driver's car, unlike the Aston, which I would rather park infront of the outside bistro and say "Look at my Aston, isn't she beautiful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Go do it, you will have a great time and it in the fresh is probably the best looking four door/four seater in the world. Though I was less impressed with the DBS, giving it a sporty edge has lost it some of the elegance and that gear lever is awful.
I couldn't agree more. I was disappointed with the DBS. Too many vents and intakes. I do like the rear diffuser though. The gear lever is terrible. Wow, talk about a huge mistake. I couldn't imagine starting that car on a cold or hot day. The lever was freezing when I grabbed it. Felt about as conductive as pewter. Another overpriced car imo.

The AMV8 Vantage is still their best car. Smallest, nimblest, cheapest - none of the other cars would be bought with rationale. Then again, most buyers never use logic or rational thought in these segments.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Okay, that extra money (for the Rapide or DBS) definitely buys you an amazing paint job. ZERO orange peel. That's something you don't really see anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
Okay, that extra money (for the Rapide or DBS) definitely buys you an amazing paint job. ZERO orange peel. That's something you don't really see anymore.
I thought the factory orange peel was more of an environmental issue (i.e. safer paints or the like).

I sat in an Aston when I was drunk and I didn't like it... same w/ a Merc CL and I thought it was a lot better; I don't know why
      02-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
That's a ton of money for a paint job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Very interesting, especially since I always find myself agreeing with you OP...

I seen the Panamera and it has HUGE presence, honestly I'd say more than a Range Rover. It doesnt look as bad in pics, it just looks very heavy. The front end is very nice, I've always like it. I want to like the the Porsche because it is cheaper and performance is amazing.

The Rapide wins me over with its design even though it's basically a 4-door DB9 with AMV8 rear. It's not original at all, or practical in the rear. Hmm, and the price is highhhh. I think the best Aston is the V8. The DB9 is starting to look dated. However with a few new design tweaks the Rapide looks great. It looks sharp and has great stance.

So which would I buy? Not sure at all really. lol. Both have good/bad points.

Edit: for $50k more I'd rather have the Porsche then I think. $50k is a huge difference!
      02-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

awesome initial review

Appreciate 0