BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The M3 we saw today is a "base model"-CSL hybrid!

This is very important (and deserved its own thread IMO).

Some of the design features and perhaps some that are causing many of us to call a bit of "rice" like appearance on the car may be missing from the "base" E92 M3 or only present on the M3 CSL model. I would bet the following are reserved for CSL only: rims, tires, extra vent holes on hood (the ones near the power bulge), CF roof, CF interior trim. I think all the other design elements are 99% production.

In case you have not been keeping up and want my "proof" of this assertion see these two almost identical posts:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...917#post748917
http://www.germancarzone.com/showthr...=11811&page=12
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

This is pure speculation. Most of the reporting I have seen from sources such as Automobile Magazine state that is the final version. Remember what the M5 concept looked like?

Jason
      03-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

I think you are probably right.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

that is what Scott 26 that it is a M3 csl / M3 hybrid...
But I think the Cf roof will be an option (or standard on the production) the rims I am 50/50 on that it will be only for CSL, and the vent on hood I have no idea...
we will see what happens....

hopefully thursday ill learn a little more...

When do you think on thursday we will learn the info?

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

i'm honestly praying that hood buldge doesn't make it into production, save it for the CSL!

i couldn't care less about anything else, please give us the MZ4 hood BMW!! its so much classier!!!

don't you guys think so?
      03-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

i disagree.. for the following reasons:

1) bmw has already been very vocal about its intent to incorporate weight saving design elements such as carbon fiber roofing, carbon fiber design elements, as well as plastic paneling into its production series cars. bmw's first foray into carbon fiber roofing was the limited edition CSL itself. since then bmw has increasingly incorporated these weight saving elements into other full production cars such as the m6 (with its carbon fiber roof, and plastic paneling), and the e9x's with their plastic based fenders. given bmw's recent track record, and their vocal stance on incorporating these technologies into full blown production cars, it seems very plausible, if not likely, that bmw would incorporate these elements into the new m3, one of bmw's highest profile cars, for which they have a reputation of incorporating state of the art technologies.

2) the incorporation of the design elements and technologies you see on the e46 m3 CSL weren't completed nor envisioned til quite some time after the official release of the e46 m3... here though we're seeing them not only on the CONCEPT release at geneva, but also on road MULES. bmw's history strongly suggest that they would not incorporate these technologies for testing for a LIMITED production car such as the prospecitve e92 m3 CSL, especialllllly so early in the e92's life cycle. it seems to me, that we see these design elements so prevalently incorporated into the mule design because bmw intends to incorporate those elements into its regular production cars, and not just a limited production CSL.

2a) to elaborate on the above point, the e46 M3 CSL wasn't sold in america for various reasons, many of which had to do with the difficulty and expense of conforming to US laws pertaining to crash safety and emissions. But already we're seeing test mules in california's ventura county and elsewhere in the USA. if the design elements and technologies we see on these mules really were intended only for the CSL, which in all likelihood will not be released in the USA (especially any time soon), then we wouldn't be seeing those design elements incorporated into USA test mules. it would just be a waste of bmw's time and resources.

3) the m5 concept car was almost a spot-on replica of their production m5. with the advances in car design technology, and the resultant shortening of the 'inception to production' timeline, it seems just as likely that this concept m3 will be almost as spot on as the concept m5.

at least, that's my two cents.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]

Last edited by esquire; 03-06-2007 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 12:36 AM   #7
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

everything scott26 has ever said has turned out to be true. if he says that what we see a hybrid between the regular and CSL, then that is what it is.
      03-07-2007, 12:47 AM   #8
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5love View Post
everything scott26 has ever said has turned out to be true. if he says that what we see a hybrid between the regular and CSL, then that is what it is.
Scott said the Concept is white, he also said the licence plate will be on the rear bumper. So not everything was correct.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 12:53 AM   #9
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
This is very important (and deserved its own thread IMO).

Some of the design features and perhaps some that are causing many of us to call a bit of "rice" like appearance on the car may be missing from the "base" E92 M3 or only present on the M3 CSL model. I would bet the following are reserved for CSL only: rims, tires, extra vent holes on hood (the ones near the power bulge), CF roof, CF interior trim. I think all the other design elements are 99% production.

In case you have not been keeping up and want my "proof" of this assertion see these two almost identical posts:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...917#post748917
http://www.germancarzone.com/showthr...=11811&page=12

The CF roof will be on "standard" M3. What will be changed are imho the wheels and the steering wheel. So you're right about 99%.
I'm not sure about the vent holes on the hood. Although they look like a CSL feature....if you've ever seen a M3 prototype and that amount of warm air around the front end you come to believe that holes must be there...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 01:22 AM   #10
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Scott said the Concept is white, he also said the licence plate will be on the rear bumper. So not everything was correct.

Best regards, south
At least you are on the color point. What he said was that the cars that were used for the outdoor photo and video shoots were white. I double checked this as I was looking for evidence he was wrong as well. We will only know once we start to see video or print advertisements. I won't comment about the accuracy of what he said about the license plate, just too lazy to look right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 01:43 AM   #11
southlight
Rep

Quote:
At least you are on the color point. What he said was that the cars that were used for the outdoor photo and video shoots were white. I double checked this as I was looking for evidence he was wrong as well. We will only know once we start to see video or print advertisements. I won't comment about the accuracy of what he said about the license plate, just too lazy to look right now.
See what Scott wrote:
"I deliberately said it would be white because I did not want trigger happy mobile phone photographers on my case , which given the leaks of the announcement that we are filming M3 at Dubai autodrome quite a lot of people turned up to get their first glance at the car which no doubt spread like wildfire when it was announced here? - welcome to the reason for creative marketing .

Although we were told: as our mission it was top priority to not let the car be seen until today and I think we accomplished that quite well. whether that happens with the production car later this month remains to be seen...."

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 01:53 AM   #12
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

And your point

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
See what Scott wrote:
"I deliberately said it would be white because I did not want trigger happy mobile phone photographers on my case , which given the leaks of the announcement that we are filming M3 at Dubai autodrome quite a lot of people turned up to get their first glance at the car which no doubt spread like wildfire when it was announced here? - welcome to the reason for creative marketing .

Although we were told: as our mission it was top priority to not let the car be seen until today and I think we accomplished that quite well. whether that happens with the production car later this month remains to be seen...."

Best regards, south
I don't get that at all. What is your (his) point? Will the first car in print and video be white or not? Did Scott lie or purposefully mislead us? I can't figure out how misleading an intentionally false color statement could be.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 01:58 AM   #13
southlight
Rep

Quote:
I don't get that at all. What is your (his) point? Will the first car in print and video be white or not? Did Scott lie or purposefully mislead us? I can't figure out how misleading an intentionally false color statement could be.
I do not have any doubt that Scott has great inside knowledge of BMW. But I'm in the feeling that his information is no more allowed to be correct. It's the first time I hear Scott saying things like "have to check if I'm allowed to." So his information could lose "content" just because he's not allowed to say things...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 02:13 AM   #14
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

SCOTT is the "ALMIGHTY ONE" and is never wrong....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 02:34 AM   #15
southlight
Rep

Quote:
I won't comment about the accuracy of what he said about the license plate, just too lazy to look right now.
http://www.germancarzone.com/showpos...&postcount=252

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
SCOTT is the "ALMIGHTY ONE" and is never wrong....
LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 03:32 AM   #16
hkm3
Rep
Drives: Lotus, Evo 6.5, 316ti

100% sure NO CF roof but a sunroof for the standard M3.

The CF roof are for CSL.
Those rims are for CSL too.

The CF roof stand out a big different between the standard M3 and CSL.

M6 is far more high class and expensive, so CF roof for M6 but NOT M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 03:44 AM   #17
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkm3 View Post
100% sure NO CF roof but a sunroof for the standard M3.
How can you be 100% sure? Source?

Best regards, south

EDIT:
"The new high-revving V8 engine, extra-sleek body styling and the high-technology CFRP roof are the highlights of what will be a scintillating driver’s package." Guenther Seemann, BMW Group Australia Managing Director.
source: http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...t-car-unveiled
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #18
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

I think the bar is set too high in the $60K performance car arena for BMW NOT to put a CF roof on the normal M3 (at least as an option).

The CSL will probably be distinguished by more performance-tuned suspension, a higher redline with 40-60 more HP, carbon ceramic brakes, more cooling for engine, brakes, transmission, etc. Ya know, so it can run head to head with a GT3.

With a standard roof with sunroof, the M3 will be 50 lbs heavier way up high. Ugh -- I think they know better.
      03-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #19
ron444
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (arrives.. one day..)

this might explain why there was no ///M3 badge on the trunk lid, unless they don't badge concepts?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #20
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Does anybody have pics of the M5 concept at Geneva 2 years ago?

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #21
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bazeepaymon View Post
Does anybody have pics of the M5 concept at Geneva 2 years ago?
Here you can see that the M5 Concept did have a badge.
[source: www.m5board.com - http://www.m5board.com/photopost/sho...ry.php?cat=550]

Best regards, south

Last edited by southlight; 03-07-2007 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #22
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M6 coupe

Speculation is fun.
Appreciate 0