BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

Mporium BMW

10-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Talking Dinan Experience

Yesterday I stopped off at Dinan to see if they had any of the M3 wheels left that were on special. I got to talking to John(Service Manager) and Chris (Sales Manager for most the West coast), they mentioned that they currently had a car having the stroker motor and all the goodies installed. I mentioned that I would love to have a peek and John took me back into the shop.

Since I missed the open house a couple weeks back, this was so awesome. I have lived in Morgan Hill my entire life and had never been to Dinan, in fact, I didn't even know its exact location, and got a little lost trying to find it, as trees block its main sign from the road. Needless to say, their shop is impressive, its not HUGE, but fairly large as far as automotive locations in the Bay are concerned.

I was taken back, shown the current car being strokered(Is that a word?) and the guys did a thorough explanation of what was being done and the affect it would have on the car. They made mention that the current car was from someone who attended the open house. I asked if he was fairly local and they mentioned SF, hopefully you can come to some meets if you are on the forum!!!

Now getting to the awesome part. I had yet to hear the Dinan exhaust in person, and after being told about all the different cars in the shop and what they had, including Steve's M3 being prepped for prototype throttle bodies, inquired if there was anything that just had the Back exhaust without the racing mid-pipe. Chris offered to take me out in one of the on location cars, I believe it was Steve's wifes car, that had only the back exhaust, but was fully pimped out otherwise. Well.........color me impressed!!! We actually went for a fairly short spin, in comparison to PG's extravaganza with Steve, but man, the power behind that stroker is unreal!!!!!!!

Chris proceeded to do a couple runs with the exhaust at what I would imagine is peak, and the sound was awesome. While not as loud as some of the Gintani or Akra's I have heard at local meets, this tone and level was perfect for top up or down cruising.

The customer service was fantastic and I really couldn't have asked for anything more. After stopping in and feeling the difference, I may have to do more than originally planned. I am thinking about doing Suspension Stage 3, Toe Links that go with, and exhaust.

One thing that I may also do is the differential, as Dinan makes mention that this is the "Best Bang for the Buck", although, that may also have to do with the fact that the amount of labor hours associated with it are much higher too.

A very good experience with the guys at Dinan, I only wish I had a lift, the knowledge, and the time to install all this stuff!!! I would have purchased every part for my car on the spot!!! (Except the 20k stroker of course, not cause it isn't worth it, just because I don't feel like dropping 30k+ into this car.)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Nice write up. Steve took me out in my own e46 one day to tell me how I had too much spring, too much tire, too much brake. It was pretty entertaining as he first understeered then oversteered my car on various parts of the Tennant Road cloverleaf. Current Joe would agree with him, but the old Joe was pretty happy with the extremely well set up track car.

The Dinan stuff is well made and their customer service is fantastic.

Did you get any idea on what they intend to offer for wheels in the future?

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

Nice stuff, let's get some mods on your E93!!
      10-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Nice write up. Steve took me out in my own e46 one day to tell me how I had too much spring, too much tire, too much brake. It was pretty entertaining as he first understeered then oversteered my car on various parts of the Tennant Road cloverleaf. Current Joe would agree with him, but the old Joe was pretty happy with the extremely well set up track car.

The Dinan stuff is well made and their customer service is fantastic.

Did you get any idea on what they intend to offer for wheels in the future?
It was mentioned that they have 3xx wheels available, but they just can't keep M3 wheels in stock, not sure if this is due to change of model, production backlog, ect.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duk View Post
Nice stuff, let's get some mods on your E93!!
Yeah, I think I am doing exhaust and suspension to start, maybe add pulley, but man, stuff gets expensive and I could have sworn the exhaust was 2300 before this sale started
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
Mavrick151
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
It was mentioned that they have 3xx wheels available, but they just can't keep M3 wheels in stock, not sure if this is due to change of model, production backlog, ect.
From what I was told from them, it has to do with their production backlog. I ended up going with some HRE/Fall Line's instead.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

^^^^
They actually offered to get me some HRE's, i chuckled at first cause i thought they were joking. I find it funny that they wouldnt be more inclined to try to push me to wait for their wheels, but hey, good service is always nice.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #8
edwin814
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 Dinan M3 CSL

John is a great guy.

The facility is top notch. The engine dyno is awsome!