BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

10-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
shuggy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90M3, '20 X3M, '20 RRSSVR

Touch-free Car Wash @ Chevron off Bristol, Costa Mesa

After getting rained on, I've been going to Chevron's touch-free car wash at Bristol / Paularino in Costa Mesa before handwashing.

Does anyone know locations of similar touch-free spots in West LA/WeHo/Santa Monica?

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
MLife168
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

There are two that I go to. The first one is off Centinela and Green River Road in Culver City. The Chevron before the Time Warner office. This ones is close to my house. Laser guided touch free wash with an inverted L shaped arm that does a 360 around the car. No discount on gas with car wash.

The second one I go to is the 76 on Western and 182nd in the city of Gardena. Just past Southbay Toyota. I prefer this one over the one in Culver City. When I get a chance I'd stop by here, I only go to the Culver one if I'm in a rush. First off you get .10 off per gallon of gas with car wash purchase. Secondly the car wash pricing is pretty cheap; starts at $4.99. The gas is already on the cheaper side before car wash discount. Lastly the washing arm is an inverted U and the jets tilt to get the front and rear bumpers. Also there are more jets and they are stronger than the Culver City one.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
shuggy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90M3, '20 X3M, '20 RRSSVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92M3WestLA View Post
There are two that I go to. The first one is off Centinela and Green River Road in Culver City. The Chevron before the Time Warner office. This ones is close to my house. Laser guided touch free wash with an inverted L shaped arm that does a 360 around the car. No discount on gas with car wash.

The second one I go to is the 76 on Western and 182nd in the city of Gardena. Just past Southbay Toyota. I prefer this one over the one in Culver City. When I get a chance I'd stop by here, I only go to the Culver one if I'm in a rush. First off you get .10 off per gallon of gas with car wash purchase. Secondly the car wash pricing is pretty cheap; starts at $4.99. The gas is already on the cheaper side before car wash discount. Lastly the washing arm is an inverted U and the jets tilt to get the front and rear bumpers. Also there are more jets and they are stronger than the Culver City one.

Hope this helps.
Thanks man! I know exactly where the Western / 182nd 76 is. That station usually has one of the best gas prices in town. I did not know they had a touch-free car wash there; had always assumed it was a brush one! This is great, I can get a nice overall wash on Thursday and do a full wash + clay on Friday, after this rainstorm goes by, you know.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
Can someone post more of touch free car wash gas station like that in LA area? I live in downtown and been looking for one forever.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

just look up Chevron stations around you area, make sure you check the "car wash" box when you submit your search. And simply call the station to confirm after the search results turn up.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
mrkbbd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 Mercedes E63AMG  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
I have always been told to never use that type of carwash, the soaps are really damaging to the paint since they have to work harder to get the dirt off the car (since nothing is being touched)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
MLife168
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkbbd View Post
I have always been told to never use that type of carwash, the soaps are really damaging to the paint since they have to work harder to get the dirt off the car (since nothing is being touched)
Yes this is true. I've researched the same question. The soaps are harsher since they need to work harder to get the dirt off. Hence it will strip your wax quicker.

I would hope that your car has a nice coat of wax or sealer on the paint. If so, you are not driving into these car washes with your bare paint waiting for the harsh soap to hit it. The wax or sealant acts like a buffer between the outside world and your paint.

Now after time, the harsh soap will wear away at your wax or sealant quicker than a milder soap would. If you do use the automated touchless car washes, then keep an eye on your paint protection, and you may need to re-wax sooner than someone who doesn't go through the touchless systems.

I've had my current coat of wax on for about 4 months now. Washing the car the traditional way by hand every other week; then a run through the touchless car washses every other week. With all that washing, including the harsh touchless car washes, the beading on my paint is still amazing. If I didn't tell you, you'd think that I had just recently waxed the car. I can literally see that my paint is being protected.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3; G30 540i

Thanks for the tip on Costa Mesa Chevron, Ive been looking for a spot that doesnt have guide rails/track for the wheel.
Appreciate 0