home
E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

09-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
BigBoss168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe manual

E46 M3 or 135i Coupe?

Hi all - new member here - looks like a great forum so I look forward to participating. This is a cross-post from the 1addicts forum - they made their views clear so I thought I'd seek views from the other side!

I'm looking to replace my 2002 Boxster 2.7 and it seems that for around $65-70K (Australian dollars) you can pick up either a 1-year old 135i with <10,000km or a 2004/05 E46 M3 with <60,000km, both in manual. Thoughts on one versus the other? I only drive about 5,000km per year (I walk to work) and do a couple of track days per year but generally speaking I only really drive on the weekends. Sometimes go for a Sunday morning blast but that's probably only once per month if that. This is my only car so it needs to be able to go to the supermarket, run errands etc. as well.

I've driven both (although not at the same time) and both are great cars. The 135i I drove was an auto (haven't driven a manual one but I hope to do that over the next couple of weeks). Been a couple of years since I borrowed my former boss's M3 for the weekend and that was a blast. I must say that I've always had a bit of a hankering for an M-car but the 135i has had such good reviews and was so much fun to drive...

I did a search and read the earlier discussion - but since prices for the M3s have come down substantially over the last 12 months and some nice cars seem to be coming onto the market I thought I'd ask for revised opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Dct Coupe

M3 competition. You'll be happy with that.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
Muggs
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i

Hi taipan, I have also been comparing these two fantastic motor cars, not an easy decision as you will know! You will get bias towards the E46 M3 on this forum and vice versa on 1Addicts about the 135i.
As one forum member said “Life is too short to not have an M3 If you can afford it, get it.”
I think this sums it up, if the M3 is your dream car and you are prepared for the costs of ownership, i.e. service II inspection A$2500.00 and new clutch about the same, go for it. I must admit that the 135i looks like a girls car compared to the M3.
This is the video that helped me to make a decision:

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

M3
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
MiamiKat
here kitty kitty...
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46

e46 no doubt
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

E46 M3 for a few reasons:

1. HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump). The 135 and 335 share this part, and the failure rate (and re-fail rate) is very high. The E46 M3 engine doesn't suffer this problem. (Simply search on this issue on the E90 or 1Addicts boards...it's huge). I'd rather enjoy my car than deal with this.

2. The N/A high-Rev enjoyment of the E46.

3. Heat soak--if you want to track the car even with the oil cooler the N54 suffers from heat soak. It's kinda warm in Oz (haven't been, but want to) from what I hear, so this should be a consideration. The N54 just runs hot to begin with.

3. Handling, precision.

4. Looks. The E46 still looks awesome. I only saw mainly the back end of this one most of the day yesterday on some "spirited" runs on some back roads....and it looked pretty damn good while staying in front of me!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
Kyosho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 // Panamera Turbo

I never really thought the 135 looked that great. So my vote goes to the E46 M3. It looks beautiful, and it performs awesome on the track. Also having a stratospheric redline makes things fun.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Hi Taipan168, I actually owned an '09 135i from new and traded it over a year ago for an '04 E46 M3 and honestly couldn't be happier. In the end it depends what you want in a car and how you drive it. When I bought my 135i I was new to BMW and wanted something that was small, relatively quick, easy to mod, and had a warranty. The 135i ticked some really good boxes: It was a 3 liter inline six, twin turbochargers, Under 3,500lb weight, seats 4 people, good gas mileage, and Dinan warrantied performance parts. That was back in August 2008 when I placed an order, when it arrived to me in December BMW had severed ties with Dinan and only select dealerships would continue to sell Dinan products. My dealership in Hawaii discontinued Dinan service unfortunately.

For the most part my 135i remained stock for about a year other than a BMW Performance carbon fiber spoiler and cat back exhaust which included a resonator delete. It wasn't until I returned from Afghanistan I fitted a BMW Performance electronic steering wheel (the price at that time had dropped from $2000 to $1000) and the new BMW Performance Power Kit. I loved the steering wheel and the Performance Power Kit kept me happy for a while, but I still wasn't satisfied. I hated the throttle lag (not to be confused with turbo lag) and wanted more power. Later on I fitted a Sprint Booster and Vishnu V4 piggyback on top of the BMW Performance Power Kit. This worked because anytime I had dealer visits I still had power from the PPK and any ECU codes that came up I would just blame on the PPK flash. The car was an absolute beast power wise with the V4, but now I started to struggle with grip and went from the stock rollers to cheap Kyowa Evolves and Continental Extreme Contact DWs to lighter APEX ARC-8s and Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs (both in 225/40/18 and 255/35/18 respectively). The finishing performance touches on my car were an Evolution Racewerks charge pipe with Synapse Engineering BOV and BMW Performance slotted/drilled rotors and fresh pads.

I drove my car with this setup for about 2-3 months and though I now had the throttle response somewhere closer to what I wanted and the power was in the Goldilocks realm for me the car still rolled badly during autocross and the brakes could have been better. I believe other than the PPK's cooling parts (uprated fan and aux. radiator) the exhaust kind of let me down as it wasn't loud enough after a while. I really didn't notice any benefit from the slotted/drilled rotors which were still dimensionally same as stock (more aesthetic than functional). I wanted to invest more money into the handling side of the car with coilovers, sway bar, and an LSD, maybe fit catless downpipes, and an intercooler but the smaller body of the 135i on an E9x chassis wasn't going to allow wider front tires without running crazy camber or Evolution Racewerks' front fenders. My car being fitted with Steptronic didn't help either, it shifted effortlessly, but during auto-x it would never shift fast enough or end up in the wrong gear for a certain turn. I hated how it would automatically upshift at redline, I just wanted it to hold that gear for a bit longer. The lack of an LSD was annoying as it would spin tires rather easily thanks to gratuitous amounts of torque.

During these 2-3 months I start thinking about the '06 Alpine White E46 M3 ZCP that was sitting in the showroom the day I ordered my 135i. At the time it was priced similarly though it had 10k miles on it, but for a 2 year old car now bad at all at the time. That is when my hunt for an SMG E46 M3 began and I will admit it was because I still really didn't know how to properly drive a manual car. I had a friend who let me drive his SMG E46 M3 one night and I was amazed that though slower than my modded 135i it had gobs of feel. I loved how the SMG was very harsh with its shifts in S5-S6 mode but could tone things down in S1-S4 or in the A modes. I loved the induction sound from the 6 independent throttle bodies, the raspy exhaust, the instrument cluster that displayed not just the oil temperature but a coolant temp too. I loved the exterior lines and though older than my 135i still felt right and fast. From that moment I searched Craigslist daily and local dealers.

I came across two shady examples before I found my beloved '04 Imola Rot E46 M3 which was found on Craigslist. It actually was being put up for sale at the Lexus dealership across the street from BMW of Honolulu and sold for an as advertised price of $20k. Despite only 56k miles on the clock it wasn't completely perfect; it had a broken auto dim mirror, a minor dent on the trunk and passenger side door, stone chips all over the bumper and hood, 225/45/18 winter tires all around, curb rashed wheels, no service records, was 17k miles overdue Inspection II, and had 5 previous owners. At this point most people would run away maybe or ask for a lower price. For me I really didn't care as in Hawaii E46 M3s don't show up too often and one that during my test drive displayed no SMG issues or weird engine sounds or lit up a Christmas tree on the dash and only 56k miles sounded too good to pass up. I traded in my '09 135i after parting out the Vishnu V4 and Sprint Booster. Unfortunately I didn't have the stock steering wheel to re-install (sold months earlier).

The day I drove the E46 M3 home was complete nirvana, I was grinning ear to ear despite still feeling like I was on the losing end after trading in my 38,XXX 135i with 1.5 years of warranty left and about $12,000 of mods, labor, and maintenance. All of that seemlessly melted away as I downshifted and buried the throttle merging into traffic. It is now a year later and though I get somewhat sad when I see pictures of my former 135i and the memories and friends I made with it, the M3 just makes me all around happy. Its increased size helps too, not able to seat 5 and a much larger trunk. My M3 has not been without fault though.

Since ownership I have replaced the defective auto-dim mirror, faulty ignition coils, a rear differential (caused by me at the dragstrip), guibo, and an SMG pump. I have accepted these things considering my car is almost 9 years old (11/2003 build) and being the 6th owner. As for performance parts fitted I have installed a new AP BBK, 3.91 geared rear diff, Fabspeed/Supersprint exhaust, Dr. VANOS exhaust hub and rebuilt VANOS unit, and APEX ARC-8s with Dunlop Star Specs (245/40/18 and 275/35/18 respectively). I am not done there though as I have a VF420 supercharger kit, Bimmerworld C&R radiator and oil cooler, BMW Motorsport 55*C thermostat, Rogue Engineering silicone coolant hose kit, Hotchkis front sway bar, and AST 5100 coilovers with Swift springs and Vorshlag camber plates.

Buy a 135i (N54/N55) if you prefer the option of a smoother Steptronic/DCT transmission, love the sound and power of a turbocharged engine, want a smaller body style, require good gas mileage, a warranty, smoother rider, better mods for $ ratio, or more modern luxuries straight from the factory. An E46 M3 is better if you prefer a more raw, stiffer chassis, better handling, don't mind if fitted with the harsher SMG, can do some repairs yourself, have the money to fix the more costlier repairs, want to choose your path in regards to staying naturally aspirated or going with forced induction (supercharging or turbocharging), need more room to fit people or things, or will use occasionally on the track.

The 135i can do well on the track too, but without bigger oil coolers, radiator, the running of water/methanol injection, or a vented hood oil and water temps will send you into limp mode. The E46 M3 can have similar issues, but because it doesn't have the additional heat from two turbochargers it is not as susceptible and most maybe upgrade the thermostat or radiator. The E46 M3 also can have wider tires fitted much easier than the 135i and there are many suspension choices out for the E46 M3 including a true rear coilover setup. It also has a great LSD fitted from the factory where as most LSD's fitted to 135i's will be an ATB setup like Quaife or Wavetrac instead of a clutch type. Things that are subjective, but I am biased is that the E46 M3 both looks and sounds better both stock and modified than the E82 135i and despite the ease of adding HP/TQ to the N54 the induction noise of the S54 and option to stay NA or go FI makes me a lot happier. I also love the 8k rpm redline and SMG over Steptronic or DCT (and I have driven both in an E92 M3 and N55 135i). Also the 135i doesn't feel as good off runflats as the suspension was tuned with the runflats stiff sidewalls in mind so it is over dampened and under sprung if I remember correctly.

To conclude I am including pictures of both my former 2009 E82 BMW 135i and current 2004 E46 BMW M3.
Attached Images

08-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novator View Post
Hi Taipan168, I actually owned an '09 135i from new and traded it over a year ago for an '04 E46 M3 and honestly couldn't be happier. In the end it depends what you want in a car and how you drive it. When I bought my 135i I was new to BMW and wanted something that was small, relatively quick, easy to mod, and had a warranty. The 135i ticked some really good boxes: It was a 3 liter inline six, twin turbochargers, Under 3,500lb weight, seats 4 people, good gas mileage, and Dinan warrantied performance parts. That was back in August 2008 when I placed an order, when it arrived to me in December BMW had severed ties with Dinan and only select dealerships would continue to sell Dinan products. My dealership in Hawaii discontinued Dinan service unfortunately.

For the most part my 135i remained stock for about a year other than a BMW Performance carbon fiber spoiler and cat back exhaust which included a resonator delete. It wasn't until I returned from Afghanistan I fitted a BMW Performance electronic steering wheel (the price at that time had dropped from $2000 to $1000) and the new BMW Performance Power Kit. I loved the steering wheel and the Performance Power Kit kept me happy for a while, but I still wasn't satisfied. I hated the throttle lag (not to be confused with turbo lag) and wanted more power. Later on I fitted a Sprint Booster and Vishnu V4 piggyback on top of the BMW Performance Power Kit. This worked because anytime I had dealer visits I still had power from the PPK and any ECU codes that came up I would just blame on the PPK flash. The car was an absolute beast power wise with the V4, but now I started to struggle with grip and went from the stock rollers to cheap Kyowa Evolves and Continental Extreme Contact DWs to lighter APEX ARC-8s and Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs (both in 225/40/18 and 255/35/18 respectively). The finishing performance touches on my car were an Evolution Racewerks charge pipe with Synapse Engineering BOV and BMW Performance slotted/drilled rotors and fresh pads.

I drove my car with this setup for about 2-3 months and though I now had the throttle response somewhere closer to what I wanted and the power was in the Goldilocks realm for me the car still rolled badly during autocross and the brakes could have been better. I believe other than the PPK's cooling parts (uprated fan and aux. radiator) the exhaust kind of let me down as it wasn't loud enough after a while. I really didn't notice any benefit from the slotted/drilled rotors which were still dimensionally same as stock (more aesthetic than functional). I wanted to invest more money into the handling side of the car with coilovers, sway bar, and an LSD, maybe fit catless downpipes, and an intercooler but the smaller body of the 135i on an E9x chassis wasn't going to allow wider front tires without running crazy camber or Evolution Racewerks' front fenders. My car being fitted with Steptronic didn't help either, it shifted effortlessly, but during auto-x it would never shift fast enough or end up in the wrong gear for a certain turn. I hated how it would automatically upshift at redline, I just wanted it to hold that gear for a bit longer. The lack of an LSD was annoying as it would spin tires rather easily thanks to gratuitous amounts of torque.

During these 2-3 months I start thinking about the '06 Alpine White E46 M3 ZCP that was sitting in the showroom the day I ordered my 135i. At the time it was priced similarly though it had 10k miles on it, but for a 2 year old car now bad at all at the time. That is when my hunt for an SMG E46 M3 began and I will admit it was because I still really didn't know how to properly drive a manual car. I had a friend who let me drive his SMG E46 M3 one night and I was amazed that though slower than my modded 135i it had gobs of feel. I loved how the SMG was very harsh with its shifts in S5-S6 mode but could tone things down in S1-S4 or in the A modes. I loved the induction sound from the 6 independent throttle bodies, the raspy exhaust, the instrument cluster that displayed not just the oil temperature but a coolant temp too. I loved the exterior lines and though older than my 135i still felt right and fast. From that moment I searched Craigslist daily and local dealers.

I came across two shady examples before I found my beloved '04 Imola Rot E46 M3 which was found on Craigslist. It actually was being put up for sale at the Lexus dealership across the street from BMW of Honolulu and sold for an as advertised price of $20k. Despite only 56k miles on the clock it wasn't completely perfect; it had a broken auto dim mirror, a minor dent on the trunk and passenger side door, stone chips all over the bumper and hood, 225/45/18 winter tires all around, curb rashed wheels, no service records, was 17k miles overdue Inspection II, and had 5 previous owners. At this point most people would run away maybe or ask for a lower price. For me I really didn't care as in Hawaii E46 M3s don't show up too often and one that during my test drive displayed no SMG issues or weird engine sounds or lit up a Christmas tree on the dash and only 56k miles sounded too good to pass up. I traded in my '09 135i after parting out the Vishnu V4 and Sprint Booster. Unfortunately I didn't have the stock steering wheel to re-install (sold months earlier).

The day I drove the E46 M3 home was complete nirvana, I was grinning ear to ear despite still feeling like I was on the losing end after trading in my 38,XXX 135i with 1.5 years of warranty left and about $12,000 of mods, labor, and maintenance. All of that seemlessly melted away as I downshifted and buried the throttle merging into traffic. It is now a year later and though I get somewhat sad when I see pictures of my former 135i and the memories and friends I made with it, the M3 just makes me all around happy. Its increased size helps too, not able to seat 5 and a much larger trunk. My M3 has not been without fault though.

Since ownership I have replaced the defective auto-dim mirror, faulty ignition coils, a rear differential (caused by me at the dragstrip), guibo, and an SMG pump. I have accepted these things considering my car is almost 9 years old (11/2003 build) and being the 6th owner. As for performance parts fitted I have installed a new AP BBK, 3.91 geared rear diff, Fabspeed/Supersprint exhaust, Dr. VANOS exhaust hub and rebuilt VANOS unit, and APEX ARC-8s with Dunlop Star Specs (245/40/18 and 275/35/18 respectively). I am not done there though as I have a VF420 supercharger kit, Bimmerworld C&R radiator and oil cooler, BMW Motorsport 55*C thermostat, Rogue Engineering silicone coolant hose kit, Hotchkis front sway bar, and AST 5100 coilovers with Swift springs and Vorshlag camber plates.

Buy a 135i (N54/N55) if you prefer the option of a smoother Steptronic/DCT transmission, love the sound and power of a turbocharged engine, want a smaller body style, require good gas mileage, a warranty, smoother rider, better mods for $ ratio, or more modern luxuries straight from the factory. An E46 M3 is better if you prefer a more raw, stiffer chassis, better handling, don't mind if fitted with the harsher SMG, can do some repairs yourself, have the money to fix the more costlier repairs, want to choose your path in regards to staying naturally aspirated or going with forced induction (supercharging or turbocharging), need more room to fit people or things, or will use occasionally on the track.

The 135i can do well on the track too, but without bigger oil coolers, radiator, the running of water/methanol injection, or a vented hood oil and water temps will send you into limp mode. The E46 M3 can have similar issues, but because it doesn't have the additional heat from two turbochargers it is not as susceptible and most maybe upgrade the thermostat or radiator. The E46 M3 also can have wider tires fitted much easier than the 135i and there are many suspension choices out for the E46 M3 including a true rear coilover setup. It also has a great LSD fitted from the factory where as most LSD's fitted to 135i's will be an ATB setup like Quaife or Wavetrac instead of a clutch type. Things that are subjective, but I am biased is that the E46 M3 both looks and sounds better both stock and modified than the E82 135i and despite the ease of adding HP/TQ to the N54 the induction noise of the S54 and option to stay NA or go FI makes me a lot happier. I also love the 8k rpm redline and SMG over Steptronic or DCT (and I have driven both in an E92 M3 and N55 135i). Also the 135i doesn't feel as good off runflats as the suspension was tuned with the runflats stiff sidewalls in mind so it is over dampened and under sprung if I remember correctly.

To conclude I am including pictures of both my former 2009 E82 BMW 135i and current 2004 E46 BMW M3.
Great write-up. There's nothing like a real M car; they're always the best engineered BMWs out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I will buck the trend here, and recommend the 135i. The E46 M3 does look better, but the 135i does drive mighty fine, especially with 6MT. One of the biggest influences should be the age of the car. A 10 year old car (i.e. E46) is likely to have more problems than a 1-2 year old 135i. Just food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Thank you :-) and yes this is very true. I don't think anyone is saying that the 135i is a bad car, but without that M touch it is missing something very important. The 1M has shown us what BMW M can do with very little and there previous NA engines such as the S14, S54, S85, and S65 show what they can do with a bit more. I just hope BMW in general doesn't control BMW M too much, M really does need to be allowed to go nuts with their cars.
      08-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I've driven both, and I can say that the E46 M3 is the more exciting car and the car I would pick. The 135i is an objectively 'nicer' car IMO, it has more features obviously and will almost certainly be in better shape because of the age difference. The 135i is still a great car, and fun to drive, but I don't get as excited driving it as the M3. The 135i actually has more torque at low revs than my E92 M3, and driving it around town it feels faster even though it's not, because of the low RPM torque surge. I think for track use the E46 M3 wins hands down, but for town it is a really close call.

E46 M3= more fun, more exciting
135i= better features, better condition, looks newer, way more torque
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:13 AM   #13
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
135i vs. e46 m3

First of all the style and body of the 1 series compared to the e46... Come on the e46 wins hands down. Do not waste your money on the new 1 series that even some of these posters are saying "less maintenance, more options etc."

Now if you want a car that screams business, luxury and sporty then again the e46 will win. 1 series is ONLY for those living in cities. I stress that because you gotta parallel park all the time and you will get love tap marks on your bumper. It is obviously easier to have a smaller car in the city which is why in Europe it is a great car because streets are small and there is hardly any parking anywhere in Europe, especially Paris and London. San Francisco, New York etc. are great cities to have a 1 series. But if you have great streets (no random pot holes, bumps etc) then the m3 should be #1 on your list.

Okay so when you go out and look for one here are a few things you need to check for:

Rear bushings
Rear Frame (open trunk and look underneath where the spare tire would be and look for cracks. If none then you are good)
And maintenance receipts, service inspections done etc.

I own a 2005 e46 m3 and the most expensive thing I have paid for so far is Inspection II and tires.

Trust me I have driven both also and the m3 is worth all the money. I skipped out on trading my e46 for the e92 because I knew the e46 was still a great car IMHO. Decided to just save money, invest etc. and be ready for the 2014 F30 model to buy again.

The 1 series is seriously boring and those people out there saying it is a fun sports car have probably never driven an M car. Everyone has their own taste but seriously a 1 series over an M3? Side by side which appeals to you more? Because in the end it is your choice but I am just here trying to make you make the right choice. Best of luck to you!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:51 AM   #14
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

E46 M3 all day!

Such a classic looking beast!