BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

01-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
bmw_guy_2020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mercedes CLS 550

Preparing to buy an M3 - tips please

What's the typical turnaround time for M3 custom orders?

I would like to be driving a new M3 on July 1, 2011.

Also - what are your thoughts on Multiple Security Deposits (MSD) and European Delivery?

I'm not sure if a European Delivery discount is available on M models....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
jwg133
it's my dog
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 (ordered)

Ed invoice is like 4k less than us. I ordered mine end of dec for Ed. I am hoping to take Ed in march. Then see it stateside in may.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Someone can correct me but i believe 3 months is typical for a regular special order (non-ED). July 1st shouldn't be a problem at all. I special ordered on 1/3/11 and my build date is week 7 (mid february) ... figure 2 months from that date to my dealer and i'm expecting to have the car mid april. might be earlier though.
      01-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
bmw_guy_2020
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwg133 View Post
Ed invoice is like 4k less than us. I ordered mine end of dec for Ed. I am hoping to take Ed in march. Then see it stateside in may.
Ok - so for ED planning - sounds like:

1. Place the order for ED
2. Wait about 8 weeks
3. Fly to Europe to sign the papers
4. Wait another 6 weeks for the M3 to arrive in your US city

Sounds like this is the expected schedule for ED. Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
bmw_guy_2020
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
Someone can correct me but i believe 3 months is typical for a regular special order (non-ED). July 1st shouldn't be a problem at all. I special ordered on 1/3/11 and my build date is week 7 (mid february) ... figure 2 months from that date to my dealer and i'm expecting to have the car mid april. might be earlier though.
Ok - So if I want my special order for July 1 then I may want to place my order on April 1? All of April + all of May + all of June = 3 months....

If 3 months is typical for a regular special order then I would think that ED might take slightly longer - what are your thoughts on this? Can someone here speak from experience on this?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_guy_2020 View Post
Ok - So if I want my special order for July 1 then I may want to place my order on April 1? All of April + all of May + all of June = 3 months....

If 3 months is typical for a regular special order then I would think that ED might take slightly longer - what are your thoughts on this? Can someone here speak from experience on this?
If you haven't read through this thread, I'd recommend doing it:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43692

I'd expect ED to be shorter (as in when you pick up your car in Munich) but longer as to when you pick up your car in the states. But that's just my uninformed guess.

I do recommend using the resources of this site. There are dealers here that will essentially sell you the car at invoice (but you have to make arrangements to pick it up out of state) ... car buying services such as USAA or CostCo are good as well. If nothing else, they give you tremendous leverage when negotiating with local dealers. I got $500 over invoice on mine from a local dealer using this techniques. ED is cheaper of course...but you've got to buy a plane ticket.
      01-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

if you have any questions or concerns or would like a quote feel free to shoot me a pm with your email address and ill take care of you

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
bmw_guy_2020
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
If you haven't read through this thread, I'd recommend doing it:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43692

I'd expect ED to be shorter (as in when you pick up your car in Munich) but longer as to when you pick up your car in the states. But that's just my uninformed guess.

I do recommend using the resources of this site. There are dealers here that will essentially sell you the car at invoice (but you have to make arrangements to pick it up out of state) ... car buying services such as USAA or CostCo are good as well. If nothing else, they give you tremendous leverage when negotiating with local dealers. I got $500 over invoice on mine from a local dealer using this techniques. ED is cheaper of course...but you've got to buy a plane ticket.
Thanks Joel - this post of yours is rich with information - I will take the time to look into the thread you referenced. Thanks!
Appreciate 0