BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-05-2023, 09:02 AM   #23
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90M3

Good day, all

Just following up on this thread. I got my car to the Indy. I expressed my concern about the possibility of low DCT fluid. The fluid level was checked, and they said it was at the correct level. The ground wire to the oil pan was checked, and it was in good condition. After keeping the car for a few days, they are diagnosing it with the DCT shifter failing and needing replacement. I scanned the car as well, and below are the fault codes it returned. The alternator level was checked, and it returned 13.8.

Kind of surprised at this failure as they don't seem to happen often. At least not documented on the forums.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
LMBE9263.50
      10-05-2023, 09:42 AM   #24
LMBE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

Thanks for the update, let us know if the new DCT shifter resolves the issue
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 10:05 AM   #25
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMBE92 View Post
Thanks for the update, let us know if the new DCT shifter resolves the issue
For sure!

Just a quick update, the shifter was replaced and I have not incurred the DCT malfunction since. Approaching three weeks in.

Last edited by SpacegrayMe90; 11-29-2023 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
LMBE9263.50
      10-18-2023, 09:21 PM   #26
lladrianll
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m3

My car started having the same issues about 2 weeks ago and still can’t figure out what’s going on with it. From my diagnosis is seems like the transmission control unit is intermittently not waking up after the cars been shut off for a while. I did remove the circuit board from the gear shifter and had someone test it and was told the processor was bad. Haven’t replaced it yet, not confident it’s going to fix the issue. So was just wondering if you resolved the issue with the shifter replacement. Thanks

Last edited by lladrianll; 10-18-2023 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 10:38 AM   #27
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lladrianll View Post
My car started having the same issues about 2 weeks ago and still can’t figure out what’s going on with it. From my diagnosis is seems like the transmission control unit is intermittently not waking up after the cars been shut off for a while. I did remove the circuit board from the gear shifter and had someone test it and was told the processor was bad. Haven’t replaced it yet, not confident it’s going to fix the issue. So was just wondering if you resolved the issue with the shifter replacement. Thanks

Welcome to the DCT Malfunction Club. Lol. Like me, I'm sure you don't want to be a part of this club.

My car is slated to go to Indy on Saturday. Keeping my fingers crossed no barriers come up. There were some scheduling conflicts on both our ends.

Right now, my car is a paperweight in my driveway. At least before, it would intermittently go into gear, but now, nada.

I hope to give feedback as I get a resolution.

" From my diagnosis, it seems like the transmission control unit is intermittently not waking up after the cars have been shut off for a while." Yes, similar thoughts! Upon unlocking the car, there is no "P," and the DCT shifter is not illuminated. There is a communication gap with regard to the car not waking up. Seemingly the transmissions does not recognize what gear the car is in.

Have you checked the familiar items?
-- Battery
-- Alternator
-- Ground wire from the oil pan
-- Transmission fluid

I have gotten varying opinions outside of this forum, and they all believe it's electrical or due to low voltage...
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      10-19-2023, 02:34 PM   #28
lladrianll
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m3

Hi, thanks for the welcome.

As for those checks the ground strap was ok and I did add a jumper cable to the engine ground and to the chassis just in case and still had no luck. As for the fluid level I know the level is ok and the transmission is completely dry. About 10k miles ago the dct clutches went bad and installed a used dct but I did swap over my mechatronics and the car worked perfectly fine until now. Kinda wish I had replaced both. As for the alternator it seems to be charging fine and the car does have a new lithium ion battery so don’t think voltage is a issue but I’ll put it on a charger and retest just in case.

Thanks for the help. I’ll keep you updated as well if I find anything.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52722.50