BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-22-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Race steering wheel install question

I am looking into buying an OMP race steering wheel. My car is DCT with iDrive. Is where any way to wire one button on a steering wheel to be an M button? And is there any solution for paddle shifters, I've never seen one, so I assume there isnt, but I want to keep my M button at least.

I find BMW steering wheel uncomfortable on track when holding it at 3 and 9 position.

Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Anything can be done if you're creative enough. You would probably have to disassemble the switches on the stock wheel to achieve what you're after.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

You might want one of these BMW Performance steering wheels. I have the one shown in the middle photo on my M3.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductLis...cessories.aspx
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Anything can be done if you're creative enough. You would probably have to disassemble the switches on the stock wheel to achieve what you're after.
Thanks, that's what I thought. I don't know if I am being too picky. I used to hold the wheel at 10 and 2, and everything was ok. But driving instructor insisted that 9 and 3 is superior. And after driving the whole day on track I felt the same way. But when I hold it at 9 and 3, the thums are fine, but the other 4 fingers are kinda resting on the flat portion right there at shift paddles and not hugging the rim... I prefer to hold the rim tight with all fingers.

I wonder if you guys feel the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
You might want one of these BMW Performance steering wheels. I have the one shown in the middle photo on my M3.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductLis...cessories.aspx
I've been looking at these steering wheels. They all look great, but they all have the same shape in the 9 and 3 area. And that's the area I am not particularly happy about.. Maybe I just should quit bitching
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
IND-Distribution
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

We used an OMP wheel on our "Green Hell" project car, and will be working on a solution to transfer the M button over the winter. We still have to do a bit of testing to determine just how simple of a project it should be.

I can tell you, however, that we have to modify an off the shelf MOMO steering wheel hub pretty extensively to allow the wheel to interface properly with the factory "clock spring" or steering position sensor. Some machining and welding work was required to allow the steering wheel hub to rotate the clock spring in the same way a factory wheel does.

12-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

^ insane.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny View Post
Thanks, that's what I thought. I don't know if I am being too picky. I used to hold the wheel at 10 and 2, and everything was ok. But driving instructor insisted that 9 and 3 is superior. And after driving the whole day on track I felt the same way. But when I hold it at 9 and 3, the thums are fine, but the other 4 fingers are kinda resting on the flat portion right there at shift paddles and not hugging the rim... I prefer to hold the rim tight with all fingers.
While anything is possible given enough time and money, you do realize that holding on tight is bad for accurate steering and feedback?
Unless your power steering dies, you can steer with your fingertips...
      12-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
We used an OMP wheel on our "Green Hell" project car, and will be working on a solution to transfer the M button over the winter. We still have to do a bit of testing to determine just how simple of a project it should be.

I can tell you, however, that we have to modify an off the shelf MOMO steering wheel hub pretty extensively to allow the wheel to interface properly with the factory "clock spring" or steering position sensor. Some machining and welding work was required to allow the steering wheel hub to rotate the clock spring in the same way a factory wheel does.

Thanks Ilia. I'm glad that I am not alone in thinking about this. This is the steering wheel that I had in mind. I watched "Green hell" video a few times to research your driver's hand placement.

It would be cool if you guys could come up with a solution for the M button. I know you can If it turns out to be too complicated to have it on the wheel itself, the non-rotating hub should be fine too.

Do you sell those modified MOMO hubs?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
While anything is possible given enough time and money, you do realize that holding on tight is bad for accurate steering and feedback?
Unless your power steering dies, you can steer with your fingertips...
Well, I should correct myself. I am not squeezing it until my fingers turn white, just don't like them on that flat meaty portion of the OEM steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Quote:
Well, I should correct myself. I am not squeezing it until my fingers turn white, just don't like them on that flat meaty portion of the OEM steering wheel.
OK, But that's kinda the point of why I believe they put the spokes of the wheel there... first, for airbag safety you're best off at 4 and 8 anyway, and second, to discourage you from wrapping your fingers around the wheel. If you can get used to it, then you can drive any car better.
      12-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
IND-Distribution
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Do you sell those modified MOMO hubs?
We haven't made an official sales thread, but we can definitely make another one if you decide to get the OMP wheel. You'll also need a momo to Nardi/OMP bolt pattern adapter, but this is a cheap off the shelf part.
      12-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We haven't made an official sales thread, but we can definitely make another one if you decide to get the OMP wheel. You'll also need a momo to Nardi/OMP bolt pattern adapter, but this is a cheap off the shelf part.
Thanks Ilia. I'll keep that in mind. If my OEM wheel keeps bugging me, I'll go OMP and drop the bells and whistles. Keep us posted on the M-button. I have a feeling that there should be some demand out there for this
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #13
flipmeraz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 e92 m3

Quote:
Hi Iliad, could you please PM details about purchasing a modified hub or do you know if there's one available now that works with the angle sensor and clock spring. Thanks
      09-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #14
MisterClutch888
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmeraz View Post
Hi Iliad, could you please PM details about purchasing a modified hub or do you know if there's one available now that works with the angle sensor and clock spring. Thanks
is this a must for let's say Sparco wheel? or any aftermarket wheels?
Slow Build
Appreciate 0