BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

08-03-2013, 03:38 AM   #89
unclejesse1
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 13 f13 M6 Sakhir, 12 GTR SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
Ive always wanted a GTR, way more then a M3, there pretty much better in every single possible way and im going to try my hardest to get one.
Is there a cool GTR forum?

And people say there shouldnt be an AWD M3/M4, your silly, should ONLY be AWD M4's.
gtrlife.com
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #90
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
The GTR is a clunky boy racer vehicle, anyone who argues otherwise is just not in tune with reality.

It's not just about going fast, but going fast in style. The GTR offers zero in refinements. Hell might as well tune up a civic. Same deal.
Agree 1000% on everything you have said !!! And I used to own a 350Z from 2004 to 2008 so I was very eagerly awaiting the GTR before it debuted in 2009. What a horrible disappointment it was when I laid eyes on it. Still, here is no question that if I was in a point A to B race, and had to choose any car under $150k, it would be the GTR. For the life of me, I can't understand, however, why they had to make the interior look like it is pieced together using assorted mismatched parts from 10 different econo-racer cars. And to think this was a deliberate design effort !!!!
      08-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #91
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerj View Post
This is simply not true. Nonetheless, enjoy your M3!
Thanks but I heard it from a 3 years GT-R owner. Also I wanted a manual and the GT-R does not offer it. Maybe I could have compromised on one of these misses in my checklist (dynamic connection between the driver, car and the road, Manual transmission, classy interior) but all 3 I decided to buy a new M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #92
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
The GTR is a clunky boy racer vehicle, anyone who argues otherwise is just not in tune with reality.

It's not just about going fast, but going fast in style. The GTR offers zero in refinements. Hell might as well tune up a civic. Same deal.
It's more refined than that.

The seats are comfy, there's plenty of trunk space, it's great on long drives, and the stereo isn't half bad.

Comparing it to a civic shows your bias.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #93
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever View Post
It's more refined than that.

The seats are comfy, there's plenty of trunk space, it's great on long drives, and the stereo isn't half bad.

Comparing it to a civic shows your bias.
It's kinda like the chick that knows she's hot s* so she doesn't need a personality to get attention lol.. It would have been nice if a little more thought went into the interior rather than plastic and poor layout.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #94
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
What's wrong with the layout?
+1 I don't know what the huge gripe is about the GTR interior. It looks great IMO. Leather accents and lots of display options / technology. The GTR is a badass car. I would love to have one. It's classic BMW snobbery to complain about "the bad interior" when in fact it's damn nice. It seems that some people want to justify their decision to buy a certain car by shooting down other options as junk...
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #95
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/r/y/1/ag_10gtr_interior.jpg

Need I say more... Button layout is awful especially steering wheel.

Versa SL ... Like less than 20k lol

http://efficientautomobile.com/wp-co...e-interior.jpg
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #96
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
almost everything... Let the masses answer that question, they got it right :

"poorly designed interior"

"90k with interior of Datsun....please..."

"the car just doesn't look the part. It looks more like a Mustang peer than a Porsche peer. The GT-R just looks like a grown-up, steroidal G37 or 370Z. It practically completely alienates one very important demographic on styling alone: women."
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #97
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerj View Post
This is simply not true. Nonetheless, enjoy your M3!
I've already given my perspective, but many owners agree..

"grand technology boombox not a nice driving performance car."

"Though its performance is formidable, it is a rather boring street car, where you cannot use the performance."

"In addition early stories about Nissan using GPS to invalidate warranties if car taken on track killed all karma about this car in enthusiasts minds. Also the stories about the horrendous costs to fix anything especially the gearbox scared many away.
And lets not forget that you just spent $100K and have to wait behind some pimple faced kid with his hat turned sideways who leased a Nissan for $99 a month to get your GT-R serviced. Car should have been released as an Infiniti. "

.. one more thought is that the GT-R rear looks like a japanese corvette. It's taking a non harmonious look and making it even worse.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #98
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
What's wrong with waiting with the pimple faced kid getting his $99 a month Nissan serviced? I'd rather hang out with that guy than somebody who thinks buying a $100K car makes him superior.
Though this wasn't my comment (notice the quotes) i would have phrased it differently. A service dept. dedicated to high end cars is more aware of the value of the car and it is fair to assume that they will treat a 70k-100k car with higher quality service than high volume car dealers . Nothing condescending about that. If you pay a five star hotel stay you expect five star service.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #99
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5, 2010 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
Though this wasn't my comment (notice the quotes) i would have phrased it differently. A service dept. dedicated to high end cars is more aware of the value of the car and it is fair to assume that they will treat a 70k-100k car with higher quality service than high volume car dealers . Nothing condescending about that. If you pay a five star hotel stay you expect five star service.
my car gets some service from my local nissan dealership. Whenever i want service i call my service advisors direct line or cell if hes not in the office. When i get there they know me and are very cordial. Only the service manager and GTR tech are allowed to drive the car. They have a GTR specific bay in their shop with hundreds of thousands of GTR specific equipment.

The GTR tech is certified from Nissan and very knowledgable about the platform. He knows his shit. My car is very highly modified and they've never given me any trouble even with multiple small warrantied items.

i drop the car off, the tech comes out to talk about what i want done and they drop me off at work from there. pick me up when the car is done.

Keep in mind i live in butt fuck south carolina

i also own a 2013 X5. I get just as good of service from Nissan as I do from BMW
8.97@164 - 206.99 half mile - 1401whp 1095tq Road Race Prepped Monster Killed on Hellbender 28
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #100
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaBomber View Post
my car gets some service from my local nissan dealership. Whenever i want service i call my service advisors direct line or cell if hes not in the office. When i get there they know me and are very cordial. Only the service manager and GTR tech are allowed to drive the car. They have a GTR specific bay in their shop with hundreds of thousands of GTR specific equipment.

The GTR tech is certified from Nissan and very knowledgable about the platform. He knows his shit. My car is very highly modified and they've never given me any trouble even with multiple small warrantied items.

i drop the car off, the tech comes out to talk about what i want done and they drop me off at work from there. pick me up when the car is done.

i also own a 2013 X5. I get just as good of service from Nissan as I do from BMW
Great input. Glad you are in good hands and getting plenty of that good southern hospitality at your dealership. However I doubt this is typical. Long ago I owned a nissan in Texas and I shiver at the thinking of leaving a GT-R with them. I don't think there is written rule that only the service manager is allowed to drive a GT-R. Two dedicated GT-R people in the whole dealership is thin. If they're getting sentra's and frontier trucks all week long and a GT-R shows up on late friday afternoon, good luck. Habits are hard to beat.

Second, you cannot really judge their positioning on warranty until say you have a broken transmission. Meanwhile count on them to take note that you've modded your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #101
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Well, it was what you said. Here is your quote:

"And lets not forget that you just spent $100K and have to wait behind some pimple faced kid with his hat turned sideways who leased a Nissan for $99 a month to get your GT-R serviced"

That sounds pretty douchey to me.

In regards to the tech treating your car differently when it cost more, I can tell you that most techs don't give two shits anyway. I had some shitty ass service on my M3, and great service on my wife's X5 at a different dealer. It all comes down to the attitude of the tech, and how the service department is being run.
You don't seem to understand the meaning of quoting. Those were not my sayings, but GT-R owners or general public.
Do I sense you are a bit insecure of having sold your M3 for a Pcar ?
I like Pcar but not worth the money for the bang IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #102
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaBomber View Post

Actually sounds better to me... Doubt I'd see that kind of service if I bought an m6gc instead I'd get the guy who just worked on a 128i/328i.

I'd get one even with my shots at the interior and actually had I not been able to save 10k and 20k miles [and had uber confidence in the e90 platform to protect me in an accident] I'd have probably pulled the trigger on a gtr and been driving it now.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #103
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Ok, here you go, I quoted that from this page 7th comments down. Some other quotes I got from GT-R owners I know (including one who wanted to sell me his).

I know it is hard to sell an M3 and not have remorses later
A porsche isn't as practical in daily driving.

I did consider buying a 2010 GTR and took it all in before making my decision. I already gave my reasons for prefering a new M3 and very happy with my decision .

Quote:
Yeah, that's a pretty detailed quote you found and sampled.

In regards of you sensing me being insecure about selling the M3 and moving to the 911... Not sure how you arrived at that thought. Do I seem insecure to you?

BTW, I thought we are discussing the GT-R? What does Porsche have to do with this thread? But I like you trying to poke at it a little.... yes, Porsche is a little nuts about their pricing, and as I mentioned many, many times within this sub-forum, the M3 is the best bang for your buck when it comes down to numbers.

Do I sense a bit of insecurity with you having an M3 and not a 911 or GT-R? See what I did there?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #104
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Aren't Japanese-spec cars limited to 120mph or something like that, with crazy short gearing?

So the Veyron should pass this thing in the higher end...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #105
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Au Contraire mon amie. Porsche 911 is as good of a daily driver as an M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #106
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Do I sense a bit of insecurity with you having an M3 and not a 911 or GT-R? See what I did there?
Smooth, no wonder your team director of the Troll racing league.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #107
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Au Contraire mon amie. Porsche 911 is as good of a daily driver as an M3.
I'd agree with that. I think this is amazing car having it since april, but the dct in dc traffic when its bad is not much fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #108
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
It's Team Plutonium. Anymore additions to that thread? I'm trying to find good members for the pit crew.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #109
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
i would daily drive a Porsche....
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #110
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The 911 is a perfect daily driver if you don't need a large trunk or usable rear seats.
It depends what is your definition of DD.
Have you hauled bags of cement in a 911. As well as ladders, rakes and shovels, surf boards, dead deer, grills, propane tanks, charcoal bags, beer kegs, suitcases, giant recliner strapped upside down, 180lb dirt bag in the driver seat ?

Jokes aside, i would be a little bit more worried about parking anywhere with an 911 than an M3. M3 blends in a little easier (unless you have an indiv paint). Just me, ignore this if you are loaded and your 911 is as easily replaceable as a trip to the Porsche dealer showroom.
Appreciate 0