BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

Car wrecked, looking for suggestions.

Hey guys, I drive a 1er but my girlfriend's dad drives a 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3. Anyways, as of late its in pretty sad shape. Last week some asshole keyed all four doors, and today, some dumb girl in a 328 hit the gas instead of brake and caused a wreck (him being the first of a four car bmw pile).

So basically the outcome is, every door is keyed, the front bumper needs to be replaced, new kidneys, new hood, new rear bumper, trunk, rear quarter panels?, and the exhaust is barely hanging on and pushed about 1 foot in on the right side (got knows how he drove it 2 hours home).

It looks like it needs new paint all over and insurance should be shelling out enough cash to cover all parts and labor.... Anyways, I'm looking to you guys for some suggestions on the possibility of a conservative body kit and a nice exhaust system rather than putting the same old stock back on. I figure if we could get an awesome kit for a comparable price to what BMW is going to charge (steal) from him, then why not take advantage of at least some of the situation? Links to pricing would be great!

inb4search. im obviously not very experienced with M3's or this forum so your knowledge is appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by sb335is; 02-25-2011 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #2
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
It sounds pretty bad, I'd push for a total loss esp since there is likely to be frame damage.
      02-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoturboz View Post
It looks like it needs new paint all over and insurance should be shelling out enough cash to cover all parts and labor.... Anyways, I'm looking to you guys for some suggestions on the possibility of a conservative body kit and a nice exhaust system rather than putting the same old stock back on.
Call me crazy but I have a hard time thinking that your insurance will pick up the tab for body kits (cheesey, by the way) and exhaust systems. Not unless, of course, you dont mind spending some time in the Pokey.
inb4search.

Quote:
im obviously not very experienced with M3's or this forum
But you have 700+ posts?

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 06:10 AM   #4
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Please have it reapaired to stock condition by a competent shop - the car has already suffered enough.
      02-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
But you have 700+ posts?
He's probably come over from the "1"-post side of the house... looking for help. Give him a break guys!

OP, I don't think you'll have much luck finding a body kit for the E90 M3. There just hasn't been a large enough market for the sedan - the coupe has been more heavily produced and sold. You'll certainly be able to find aftermarket front & rear bumpers (be sure you look for E90 LCI for the rear).

Exhaust is purely a matter of personal preference. There's a great sticky here where you can listen to 9 different options. And another sticky thread here giving an overview of so many additional options it'll make your head spin.

GL to your GF's dad!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

I know you can deal with the body shop to charge you the difference between the insurance paid stock parts against the after market parts you prefer.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

lawlz (couldnt resist) but sorry for your dads bad luck
      02-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
sb335is
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
Turn of events sounds kinda shady to me. why are you interested in modding someone else's car?
because I have a passion for cars and especially bmws.... And im trying to have something to talk about/ bond with her dad.... Didnt you read the first paragraph?

And to the other guy, yes I told you ive got a 135 so no like I said I dont spend too much time over here

And insurance is writing a check for expected damages and repairs so he could take the money and repair and pay the difference.

thanks for the help dnvrdnvr
      02-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Depending on your insurance, they'll replace everything with OEM parts.

Don't put a body kit on this car, it's beautiful the way it is, a kit would only make it look like utter shit.

Never heard of an insurance company "writing a check for expected damages and repairs" all sounds like BS to me.

Car goes into a shop, insurance inspects, they approve, body shop works, they pay when the work is finished.

Not a total loss by any means.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

On the exhaust question a couple of thoughts for options with low drone that aren't overly loud:

1) Dinan exhaust - black tips, lighter, better design and sound than stock
2) New M3 performance exhaust - looks sweet but pretty spendy

Since you are dealing with your girlfriends dad, maybe you should stick to BMW performance parts, would be an easier sell. You can get black kidney grills and side markers that look nice. European bumper -gets rid of ugly orange reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Hate to see this car get this screwed up. Please post pics.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #12
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Never heard of an insurance company "writing a check for expected damages and repairs" all sounds like BS to me.
I've seen 'insurance gets an official estimate, and that's what you're paid out up front'.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Actually, I think most insurance has a policy to replace with 3rd party parts if one is available. If not, then OEM but it has to be refurb or used if possible. Then new OEM if all else fails.

That was the neat part of the BMW Insurance Policy info that I got in the mail recently. Guaranteed OEM replacement parts. Didn't bother to see how much they wanted though because I'm happy with my insurance company. Think All State was the issuer.

Quote:
Car goes into a shop, insurance inspects, they approve, body shop works, they pay when the work is finished.
If you hang out in the 3-series forums, a lot of people use accidents and the insurance payout as a chance to install the OEM M body kits. M-tech front/rear bumpers, I think they're called?

Quote:
Agreed. Doesn't sound like the damage is anywhere near half the value of the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I have had some luck with repairs on various vehicles when asking for aftermarket parts. Just tell the dealer you want the money to go toward a particular part and they should accomodate your request. I did this several times with motorcycle exhausts after spills. Plus, the factory parts are at least as expensive as aftermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #15
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
Actually, I think most insurance has a policy to replace with 3rd party parts if one is available. If not, then OEM but it has to be refurb or used if possible. Then new OEM if all else fails.

That was the neat part of the BMW Insurance Policy info that I got in the mail recently. Guaranteed OEM replacement parts. Didn't bother to see how much they wanted though because I'm happy with my insurance company. Think All State was the issuer.
Not on these cars, everything is replaced OEM. Unless you're with some shithole insurance company who might try and replace with refurb parts. However, a BMW Authorized repair center would not authorize anything but OEM new parts for M cars - certainly hope OP takes it to an authorized shop.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #16
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

Sounds unfortunate. I'd go for a return to pristine stock condition personally.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #17
RevFreak14
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Hey guys, I drive a 1er but my girlfriend's dad drives a 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3. Anyways, as of late its in pretty sad shape. Last week some asshole keyed all four doors, and today, some dumb girl in a 328 hit the gas instead of brake and caused a wreck (him being the first of a four car bmw pile).

So basically the outcome is, every door is keyed, the front bumper needs to be replaced, new kidneys, new hood, new rear bumper, trunk, rear quarter panels?, and the exhaust is barely hanging on and pushed about 1 foot in on the right side (got knows how he drove it 2 hours home).

It looks like it needs new paint all over and insurance should be shelling out enough cash to cover all parts and labor.... Anyways, I'm looking to you guys for some suggestions on the possibility of a conservative body kit and a nice exhaust system rather than putting the same old stock back on. I figure if we could get an awesome kit for a comparable price to what BMW is going to charge (steal) from him, then why not take advantage of at least some of the situation? Links to pricing would be great!

inb4search. im obviously not very experienced with M3's or this forum so your knowledge is appreciated.
Thanks
Body kits are for Honda Civic's dude. This car needs none of that. I'd take the insurance adjuster aside, hand him $500, and ask him, " This one's a total loss right?" If not I'd have it repaired by a BMW shop with all OEM parts. Anything less than that is caca.
99 Lexus GS400 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #18
thai357sig
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Don't put a body kit on this car, it's beautiful the way it is, a kit would only make it look like utter shit.

Actually, not all insurance work like that. My garage fiasco entailed me going to their adjuster, got a check immediately in hand and went off to any shop I wanted. Any subsequent damage in addition to the initial inspection, my will send them a check which I will endorse to them when I get my car.
      02-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #19
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Not on these cars, everything is replaced OEM. Unless you're with some shithole insurance company who might try and replace with refurb parts. However, a BMW Authorized repair center would not authorize anything but OEM new parts for M cars - certainly hope OP takes it to an authorized shop.
That's not the case.

I have dealt with an authorized BMW repair center and they have no say. It's up to the insurance company. My insurance is USAA, which is quite respectable and they have that policy.

When I was there, this was affirmed by the repair center employee. He also told me that fortunately, the E9X cars are new enough that there are no 3rd party part clones yet (at least of the parts I was interested in). This may not be the case forever.

So the reality is that you'll be getting OEM parts, however, there is no guarantee that they'll be new. Your insurance policy is not your friend, you're being saved by lack of 3rd party direct-replacement parts.

I find it very unlikely that your policy is guaranteeing new OEM parts unless you have a specialty policy (like the BMW Insurance Plan).
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #20
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

agree with the guys who posted return it to stock. you will be better off in the short term and long term. not a fan of the body kit route

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #21
sb335is
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevFreak14 View Post
Body kits are for Honda Civic's dude. This car needs none of that. I'd take the insurance adjuster aside, hand him $500, and ask him, " This one's a total loss right?" If not I'd have it repaired by a BMW shop with all OEM parts. Anything less than that is caca.
I guess my diction choice was poor. I mean "body kit" as in a nice after market front and rear bumper slightly more aggressive, possibly BMW made, and a carbon fiber hood painted over stock color for weight reduction. In no way do i mean "bling bling wide body vented square CSL trunk"

And to those of you asking, here's the rear. Didn't take a picture of the front (cracked kidney, damage to the front right, hood crumpled by the roundel)... looks a lot worse in person.

[URL=http://img12.imageshack.us/i/img20110225072815.jpg/]
      02-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
M666 SLL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevFreak14 View Post
I guess my diction choice was poor. I mean "body kit" as in a nice after market front and rear bumper slightly more aggressive, possibly BMW made, and a carbon fiber hood painted over stock color for weight reduction. In no way do i mean "bling bling wide body vented square CSL trunk"

And to those of you asking, here's the rear. Didn't take a picture of the front (cracked kidney, damage to the front right, hood crumpled by the roundel)... looks a lot worse in person.

[URL=http://img12.imageshack.us/i/img20110225072815.jpg/]

I'm not joking, I nearly started crying when I saw this picture. In fact that has ruined my weekend.

Get well soon M3.
Appreciate 0