BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

07-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
kaan1990
galatasaray
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez

Garage List
2011 7.30 LD  [0.00]
2005 6.45i  [0.00]
2009 BMW X6 3.0 XD  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
how am i going to paint the engine cap

i dont know if it is possible to paint but i will try can you giv me some ideas about which paint i should use.
Attached Images

07-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Save yourself the trouble and buy one already painted by IND. If you have to ask what materials to use to paint this, its not gonna come out pretty.

Brembo BBK|BPM Tune|HRE P43 SC|BMW Performance Seats|KWV3
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodR$CH
Save yourself the trouble and buy one already painted by IND. If you have to ask what materials to use to paint this, its not gonna come out pretty.
This, buy one from IND (check out their thread, they do great work) and you ship your manifold back to them (core charge).

If you're thinking about supercharging down the line, I would just hold off.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
s65e90
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90

So one popcorn reply and two call IND replies.

OP I am sorry some members here are sheep

If you want to paint it yourself you need to smooth the cover otherwise it'll look terrible. Bondo will get it nice and flat. If you're not comfortable doing bodywork or painting you may want to consult a body shop but its not hard at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

YUP^ IND, they'll send you one of your color combo choice and you simply send your stock one back to them. Although im not really sure what an Angine is,lol
      07-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
s65e90
Banned
Rep

Damn.... This post makes me wonder that if IND didn't exist what would half if this forum do? Lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
Damn.... This post makes me wonder that if IND didn't exist what would half if this forum do? Lol.
Have nice looking stock black intake manifolds.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
LMAO. Priceless.

We have EAS and Vivid... Never been to IND and never ordered anything from them and never will.

But you are right, its as easy as popping it off and doing it yourself or taking to a body shop. Simple.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Chicken Little
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 Frozen Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodR$CH View Post
+1 ^
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So one popcorn reply and two call IND replies.

OP I am sorry some members here are sheep

If you want to paint it yourself you need to smooth the cover otherwise it'll look terrible. Bondo will get it nice and flat. If you're not comfortable doing bodywork or painting you may want to consult a body shop but its not hard at all.
Listen to this guy. Bondo? who uses that Macco? This isn't a Honda Civic. You are right about it not being hard to do, I'd be willing to bet I could achieve similar results to what IND does by myself. This guy obv has no clue and neither do you. Its gonna look like shit if he doesn't have a clue where to start. This is plastic, not metal. Were you planning on using an adhesion promotor? What primer do you suggest the OP uses so that the paint doesn't sink into the plastic? What grit/s paper do you suggest he uses? You really are suggesting that he should "Bondo" his entire manifold to get it smooth? lol

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
LMAO. Priceless.

We have EAS and Vivid... Never been to IND and never ordered anything from them and never will.

But you are right, its as easy as popping it off and doing it yourself or taking to a body shop. Simple.
I'd like to see some of these garage paint jobs you guys are doing on your stock intake manifolds.

Unless you have painting experience or a buddy that does, i wouldn't suggest this project for a DIY even as easy as it looks.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
Lorde
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd like to see some of these garage paint jobs you guys are doing on your stock intake manifolds.

Unless you have painting experience or a buddy that does, i wouldn't suggest this project for a DIY even as easy as it looks.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
Why did you quote what I said and then post this pic?
Clearly this was done by IND.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
Lorde
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Why did you quote what I said and then post this pic?
Clearly this was done by IND.
Because I am agreeing with you. I doubt anyone can pull off this type of paintwork in their garage.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Because I am agreeing with you. I doubt anyone can pull off this type of paintwork in their garage.
My bad, i thought you were posting "garage painted manifolds" lol

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
s65e90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Listen to this guy. Bondo? who uses that Macco? This isn't a Honda Civic. You are right about it not being hard to do, I'd be willing to bet I could achieve similar results to what IND does by myself. This guy obv has no clue and neither do you. Its gonna look like shit if he doesn't have a clue where to start. This is plastic, not metal. Were you planning on using an adhesion promotor? What primer do you suggest the OP uses so that the paint doesn't sink into the plastic? What grit/s paper do you suggest he uses? You really are suggesting that he should "Bondo" his entire manifold to get it smooth? lol

FYI every car requires at least a skim coat of bondo to acheive a flawless finish regardless if it's a Civic or an M3 on 20" Savinis Even a concours prepped vehicle needs a skim coat to attain a glass like surface. I have done work in some of the nicest shops around from NY to LA... I have no clue? You're funny guy; I been in the auto side of business (specifically around collision repair) for a long time. Have you ever even painted a car???

And yes, it would require filler to achieve that smooth finish; every body shop would tell you the same.

Pleae don't try and insult my intelligence again by telliing me I don't have a clue.

Last edited by s65e90; 07-05-2013 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #18
s65e90
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Don't be so quick to think that; it's all in the prep work. I have seen some of the best car refinishing done not in a paint booth but in a barn of all places. Auto painting def takes some skill and patience especially, but above all, Prep is the key.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #19
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90
Quote:

FYI every car requires at least a skim coat of bondo to acheive a flawless finish regardless if it's a Civic or an M3 on 20" Savinis Even a concours prepped vehicle needs a skim coat to attain a glass like surface. I have done work in some of the nicest shops around from NY to LA... I have no clue? You're funny guy; I been in the auto side of business (specifically around collision repair) for a long time. Have you ever even painted a car???

And yes, it would require filler to achieve that smooth finish; every body shop would tell you the same.

Pleae don't try and insult my intelligence again by telliing me I don't have a clue.
Yes I have painted several cars and worked in several body shops

You use the term "bondo" when referring to body filler? Lol

So let me get this straight, you are telling everyone on this forum to achieve a glass like finish being it plastic or metal, you need to apply at least a thin coat of bondo to the entire surface? Lol. You've shown your knowledge about paint work with that statement alone.

I do agree with you that it's all in the prep work. Most of my post you skipped over related to that exactly.

You bring up my old M3 to try and insult me? Lol. Are my HRE's ok or should I should I go with a different brand?

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
s65e90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes I have painted several cars and worked in several body shops

You use the term "bondo" when referring to body filler? Lol

So let me get this straight, you are telling everyone on this forum to achieve a glass like finish being it plastic or metal, you need to apply at least a thin coat of bondo to the entire surface? Lol. You've shown your knowledge about paint work with that statement alone.

I do agree with you that it's all in the prep work. Most of my post you skipped over related to that exactly.

You bring up my old M3 to try and insult me? Lol. Are my HRE's ok or should I should I go with a different brand?
I'm not hear to argue w/ internet m3 gurus like yourself. Using the term bondo is a universal term AKA filler. Also referring to xxx.

Don't know why you jumped on my in my post and why you actually care enough to insult me on the internet. But if you work/worked in shops then you should know otherwise.

BTW a councours finish still gets body filler. What's your point here; OP asked for some direction and everyone said run to IND or do something esle. No one answered OP's question; except me. I tried to in a basic fashion. Go bother someone else w/ you nonsense.

You also insulted OP as well as me in your post
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
Rep

I never claimed to be an M3 Internet Guru. I'm pretty new to this platform of car anyways. I was not trying to insult OP in my original reply. You insulted me by calling me a sheep then insult my choice in wheels. Lets see some photo's of your "M"

If you are in the industry you know as well as i do that telling this guy to paint this is a bad idea. There are tons of easy DIY paint projects but this simply is not one of them without experience.

/thread jack!

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #22
s65e90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I never claimed to be an M3 Internet Guru. I'm pretty new to this platform of car anyways. I was not trying to insult OP in my original reply. You insulted me by calling me a sheep then insult my choice in wheels. Lets see some photo's of your "M"

If you are in the industry you know as well as i do that telling this guy to paint this is a bad idea. There are tons of easy DIY paint projects but this simply is not one of them without experience.

/thread jack!

yes, you're a sheep like everyone else for saying, "call IND". OP may not be cut out for the job but his thread was to ask for help, not ask who to call to do it for them. How do people learn if they never try themselves.

BTW I only called you out after your first post (that's above highlighted in RED so you can see).. if that doesn't sound insulting then you need to get your head checked out.

Don't worry about pictures of my car, I ain't here to compare dick sizes.

But it's got a pretty decent amount of work done to it; all by me
Appreciate 0