BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #45
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Yep, I mentioned that I had read about a service bulletin, but didn't have anything to site specifically. I showed the tech at my local dealer those videos and he definitely heard the noise and said he wanted to look at some different areas after hearing it, and still nothing. Yes, it was built before 6/08. I don't know if it has the silver plates, where are they exactly? I'll go check right now.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #46
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS32 View Post
Yep, I mentioned that I had read about a service bulletin, but didn't have anything to site specifically. I showed the tech at my local dealer those videos and he definitely heard the noise and said he wanted to look at some different areas after hearing it, and still nothing. Yes, it was built before 6/08. I don't know if it has the silver plates, where are they exactly? I'll go check right now.

They are located directly behind the front rotors. You can actually see them through the wheel spokes if you look over the top of the front rotors. They are thin metal plates that are about the same diameter as the rotors. They are hard to miss if you turn the wheels and put your head under the front bumper.
      05-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #47
SS32
Major
Rep

Yeah, I've got them. Do you know how the new ones differ?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #48
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS32 View Post
Yeah, I've got them. Do you know how the new ones differ?

Not really other than the color. They are updated in some way; maybe a stronger material that will not crack around the lower bolt holes. They say it is caused by high speed driving/air turbulence causing excessive movement of the backing plates, which leads to micro cracks that result in the rattle or clicking noise.

Hopefully that is what is wrong with my car, because changing them is not a big deal. I'm not looking forward to rebuilding my entire front suspension for this problem, but at least I can be the guinea pig if the backing plates do not fix it.

I'll order then tuesday and they should be in by thursday. I will put them on that day or maybe friday. I'll let you guys know what I find.
      05-24-2009, 01:35 AM   #49
uae247
Second Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: F80/E90/E30 M3s+1M+Boss 302

I have the exact same noise on my 2008 E90 M3.

I hear it on right hand turns and its like a continuous clicking noise coming from the front left wheel when making right hand turns... irritating.

Will check the backing plates today also.

Thanks for your help and please keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 02:19 AM   #50
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uae247 View Post
I have the exact same noise on my 2008 E90 M3.

I hear it on right hand turns and its like a continuous clicking noise coming from the front left wheel when making right hand turns... irritating.

Will check the backing plates today also.

Thanks for your help and please keep us updated.

No problem, I'd like to get to the bottom of this as well. What you describe is exactly what is going on with my car. There is really no way to tell if the backing plates have cracks until they are removed. we'll see later in the week.
      05-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #51
uae247
Second Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: F80/E90/E30 M3s+1M+Boss 302

I will try to take pics when possible... I am just a bit backed with work nowadays, but will definitely need to take a look at my M3
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #52
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
There is really no way to tell if the backing plates have cracks until they are removed.
Question for you. Just looked at my 6/08 build date car, and it has the silver plates, meaning my car was built on or before June 8, 2008, according to a statement some posts above. Is it safe to assume that was the end of the '08 run? Just curious.

My next question is how do you know the exact build date? Door sticker only lists month and year.

And last of all, do all silver plates should get replaced, or only if they click while turning? I don't drive my car hard at all, and probably never will, so I should be fine with them, but being a TSB, it'll expire with the warranty, and future owner could have a problem. Just curious what course of action you recommend. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #53
iveman89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

I experienced the same thing when under heavy turning.. i want to say it sounded like electric clicking or something from the left front tire area..thought maybe it was the shock. Is that what you would say it kind of sounds like SS32? electric clicking?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #54
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Question for you. Just looked at my 6/08 build date car, and it has the silver plates, meaning my car was built on or before June 8, 2008, according to a statement some posts above. Is it safe to assume that was the end of the '08 run? Just curious.

My next question is how do you know the exact build date? Door sticker only lists month and year.

And last of all, do all silver plates should get replaced, or only if they click while turning? I don't drive my car hard at all, and probably never will, so I should be fine with them, but being a TSB, it'll expire with the warranty, and future owner could have a problem. Just curious what course of action you recommend. Thanks.

I am really not sure whether the late 2008 and 2009 models have the improved black backing plates, but I would assume that they do. The bulletin only states that the original equipment backing plates would be silver in color while the improved parts would be black. I take that to mean that cars built after 6/12/08 would have the improved black parts installed at the factory.

This repair is only to be performed on a customer complaint basis. Unless your car starts to do this, I would not worry about it. You have plenty of warranty time left, and I would think it would start doing it by then if it were to do it at all. It seems that most us have been experiencing this at lower mileage. I think I started hearing mine at 4k miles or so and it progressively got worse. The problem is supposedly caused by high speed driving and high air turbulence causing movement and eventually damage to the backing plates.
      06-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #55
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Noise is gone!

I've got an update for you guys. Last week I installed the new & improved black front backing plates on the M3. I really wasn't sure going into the repair whether it would cure my noise or not, but figured the engineers probably know something I do not. So I installed the black backing plates and torqued everything to spec. I took the car out to a big, empty parking lot down the road and drove around in circles. I might have had motion sockness when I was done, but no more clicking noise to be found!

I went out of town this weekend so I didn't get to drive the car much, but I have yet to hear the noise since replacing the plates. It was quite loud and very easy to reproduce the previous weekend before I replaced them. The strange thing is that I could not see any cracks or defects in the original plates after they were removed. So either it is a fluke and I disturbed something else during the repair that eliminated the noise, or the plates had some micro cracks that I could not see.

Either way, I am glad the noise is gone and it looks like we have a cure for those of you who have this issue.
      06-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #56
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Mine noise has changed...

I used to get clicking noise when making a hard right hand turn.

Then it progressed to showing up under moderate right and left hand turns.

Now, it doesn't click unless i really run hard into a corner. BUT... now, after i stop i get a metal on metal clicking sound. it's similar to the hot oil drip sound, but it's a metallic sound. In fact, the first time i heard it i kept looking around for a dog because it sounded like a dog chain collar.

kooky....
      06-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #57
SS32
Major
Rep

I'm not sure why, but I haven't heard the noise in a couple weeks. The only thing that's changed is the weather; it's been hotter recently. Other than that, I have no clue why it's not ticking any more.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 01:25 AM   #58
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveman89 View Post
I experienced the same thing when under heavy turning.. i want to say it sounded like electric clicking or something from the left front tire area..thought maybe it was the shock. Is that what you would say it kind of sounds like SS32? electric clicking?
This is exactly what my car just started doing today. It sounds like electrical clcking.
      07-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #59
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

My car does it.

My 95 and 97 M3's both did it too!

I am not too concerned about it. Just keep an eye on the wheel bearings....that's about all you can do.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #60
slimflem
get driving!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Powerchip View Post
I'll post it in as many threads as I want that pertain to this specific issue. That way people can be informed of BMW's actions in response to this defect.

If you have a problem with that, close your eyes. No one is forcing you to read my post. Hopefully your next post will contain something meaningful to contribute.
I have to agree that I hate people that try and police the forums and tell you what you can and can't do. That has always irked me to no end.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #61
Chinchini
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 Alpine White M3

Mines and 08 and I've had the ticking under hard cornering for a while and now I have the diff ticking. Going to the dealer soon
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #62
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimflem View Post
I have to agree that I hate people that try and police the forums and tell you what you can and can't do. That has always irked me to no end.
I totally agree. Note only did he take a strip off Mike but then 4 days later he jumped back into the thread asking questions and trying to specific details to speak to his dealer. All of a sudden the thread was worth while to him.

I hope I don't experience the issue but I at least know this thread exists if it does.
Appreciate 0