BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #23
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggs View Post
I've also purchased a set for my R8 and I love them! A bunch of other R8 guys have been buying them as well and at $500 a pop they're a steal, but I guess in the M3 community that's not the case. In the high end exotic world these are flying off the shelves - $500 is probably the least expensive mod on our exotics. Shit my aftermarket suspension alone was over $10k.
It has nothing to do with this being an "M3 community" and not wanting to spend the money. I can guarantee you M3's that get tracked compared to R8's is probably something like a 30:1 ratio (or more). I've done 28 track days over the past 2-3 years on the same set of non-titanium studs and they haven't come loose or stretched at all.

People tend to waste money on stupid crap in the high end exotic world just because it is expensive. I mean look at how popular ADV1 wheels are in that crowd. That's not to say that these are a complete waste. You just haven't provided a sound argument for us poor M3 owners to spend our hard earned blue-collar money on them.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 05:38 AM   #24
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

These are not for poor M3 owners. These are for rich M3 owners. If I had truckloads of money and no need for it, I'd buy stuff like thus. Light, looks cool, and is stronger.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #25
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

$350 is actually not a bad price if these are tested, race proven, high quality, strong, and the TI won't seize to the steel hub. If somebody wants me to buy a product I need some good reasons.

Giggs' post above didn't give me a lot of confidence. I have met Giggs and I didn't get the impression that he had an elitist perspective (had the opposite impression), but that post stating that $500 is nothing in the "exotic" market annoyed me a little. I don't know what type of suspension you purchased but congrats for paying $10k. Is a V8 Audi R8 actually considered an exotic? I thought that title was reserved for Ferrari and Lamborghini. I need a better reason to buy something than that the price is not considered expensive in the exotic market...

I have been looking at Turner Motorsports top level studs and zinc coated nuts and they will cost $320. They may not be as light weight but they are race proven.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #26
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Nardo E92 '15 Fashion F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Fellas, I know Giggs very well and I think he was being taken out of context. What he was saying is that exotics and sports cars have very overpriced/marked up products and in comparison to that these are not overly expensive. (I know this because we were just chatting about this). But I agree with Slicer and just because something "isnt expensive" doesnt mean one should buy it. Giggs is the last person on this forum that has an "elitist" attitude. His comment about the $10k suspension was saying that its way overpriced. Its the same basic setup as an M3 suspension yet they somehow find a way to mark it up over $7k over an M3 setup. And if he wants to do upgrades to his car... he unfortunately has to bite the bullet and spend the money on the overpriced stuff because thats what it costs unfortunately...

Last edited by MRG Race Co; 08-26-2014 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #27
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynM3 View Post
Fellas, I know Giggs very well and I think he was being taken out of context. What he was saying is that exotics and sports cars have very overpriced/marked up products and in comparison to that these are not overly expensive. (I know this because we were just chatting about this). But I agree with Slicer and just because something "isnt expensive" doesnt mean one should buy it. Giggs is the last person on this forum that has an "elitist" attitude. His comment about the $10k suspension was saying that its way overpriced. Its the same basic setup as an M3 suspension yet they somehow find a way to mark it up over $7k over an M3 setup. And if he wants to do upgrades to his car... he unfortunately has to bite the bullet and spend the money on the overpriced stuff because thats what it costs unfortunately...
I'm sure you are right based on my in-person meeting of Giggs. His post did come off like M3 owners are cheap or can't afford the quality parts that he and the other "exotic" car owners buy. My Honest feedback....
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #28
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I'm sure you are right based on my in-person meeting of Giggs. His post did come off like M3 owners are cheap or can't afford the quality parts that he and the other "exotic" car owners buy. My Honest feedback....
HAHA, but thats because we are cheap lol... jk
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #29
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Well usually the less volume sold, the higher the price to make up for R&D costs. Paying more for R8 aftermarket suspension than for an M3 makes perfect sense based on how many cars sold and I'm guessing most R8 owners don't mod their suspension either.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #30
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

Quote:
Quote:
HAHA, but thats because we are cheap lol... jk
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Well usually the less volume sold, the higher the price to make up for R&D costs. Paying more for R8 aftermarket suspension than for an M3 makes perfect sense based on how many cars sold and I'm guessing most R8 owners don't mod their suspension either.
Easy guys! I shared this review because I really liked this product and bought them because in order to be a show winner against all these liberty walk kit cars you have to beef up the attention to detail category. I paid way more for 'santorini blue stitching' in my race seats, Fog wheel finish, Suede shift and Ebrake boots, and a C-Quartz show polish and compounding and none of those things added functionally like these studs!

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #31
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt2000 View Post
Easy guys! I shared this review because I really liked this product and bought them because in order to be a show winner against all these liberty walk kit cars you have to beef up the attention to detail category. I paid way more for 'santorini blue stitching' in my race seats, Fog wheel finish, Suede shift and Ebrake boots, and a C-Quartz show polish and compounding and none of those things added functionally like these studs!
Well said Curt! Its pretty clear that this is just a specialty item. Im sure people like slicer and radiantm3 should understand that since they themselves have built some truly one of a kind m3's as well. Both have paid big bucks for some rare and specialty pieces to match the goal of their cars. kudos to the three of you guys for standing out in a crowd!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #32
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I have been looking at Turner Motorsports top level studs and zinc coated nuts and they will cost $320. They may not be as light weight but they are race proven.
Which Turner studs and nuts are costing $320?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #33
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Which Turner studs and nuts are costing $320?
MSI Bullet Nose Racing Wheel Studs: $10.95 ea

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...6-e46-e9x.aspx

19mm Yellow Zinc-Coated TMS Race Wheel Nut: $4.95 ea

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-31...wheel-nut.aspx

I'm currently running these wheel nuts but they have taken a beating over the years. My studs are already Turner Motorsports but they are much longer than I need (90mm) now that I don't use any spacers. It's getting annoying swapping wheels with 90mm studs.... Plus I think it's good to replace studs every year or two as a preventative measure. Probably over-kill for my use but I'm anal.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #34
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
MSI Bullet Nose Racing Wheel Studs: $10.95 ea

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...6-e46-e9x.aspx

19mm Yellow Zinc-Coated TMS Race Wheel Nut: $4.95 ea

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-31...wheel-nut.aspx

I'm currently running these wheel nuts but they have taken a beating over the years. My studs are already Turner Motorsports but they are much longer than I need (90mm) now that I don't use any spacers. It's getting annoying swapping wheels with 90mm studs.... Plus I think it's good to replace studs every year or two as a preventative measure. Probably over-kill for my use but I'm anal.
Ah! Dry lube. That explains it. I am running Turner's plain Jane studs ($6.95) and nuts ($2.25):

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-25...6-e46-e9x.aspx

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-13...wheel-nut.aspx
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #35
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Sorry if my post sounded "elitist". Wasnt my intention. I was trying to make the point that this is a good price for these studs. And AlynM3 is exactly right was just comparing it to how expensive the suspension was by saying it cost me $10k which makes some $500 studs seem like they're cheap. My stock suspension on the R8 was leaking and Audi wouldn't cover the replacement and they were trying to charge $12k for the stock one. The better choice was aftermarket at $10k but it puts it in perspective that you guys have it better all around with product cost for sure. Nothing but love for M3s from me
Appreciate 0