BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

12-12-2016, 09:49 PM   #1
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
Exclamation BAVSOUND Complete Upgrade Review and Pics >>>

My car came with HiFi, not even the Premium Sound package, so I was looking to upgrade my stock system completely from all the speakers to the amplifier. I wanted something that fits like factory OEM, required little to no modification to my car, quality products that offered hard hitting/clear sound within the car. I didn't want 2 12s in my trunk with bass so loud you could hear me coming from blocks away because frankly, that's not cool to me anymore. lol Plus I wanted to keep the added weight to my car at an absolute minimum when doing this since I do track my car.

After all my research, I ended up ordering the complete BAVSOUND upgrade. Let me tell you, I am beyond impressed with the awesome customer service I've received thus far. Super friendly staff, good communication and quick shipping!

I purchased their Stage One Speaker Upgrade Kit which included front and rear replacements for the Tweeters and Midranges. Also purchased their Ghost Underseat Subwoofer System...which replaces the factory subwoofers under the driver's and passenger's seats. Finally purchased their BimmerTech PP82DSP Amplifier which offers 70 Watts each @ 2 Ohms to all 6 Channels...quite an upgrade over the weak stock amp.

The package arrived in 2 boxes…the big brown box had all the speakers etc and the yellow box had the amplifier. They were shipped from two different locations - the amplifier direct from the manufacturer in Poland, and they both arrived at the same time…fast, very fast.

IMG_6779 by dj_dub, on Flickr

The complete kit in very nice packaging

IMG_3185 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Opening up the Front and Rear Midranges

IMG_3188 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Front Midranges

IMG_3187 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Front Midrange compared to stock…so much more beefy

IMG_3189 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3190 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3191 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Front Midrange mounted to door card…truly plug and play, very simple install

IMG_3197 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Front Tweeters

IMG_3193 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Front Tweeter compared to stock…beautiful construction

IMG_3194 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3196 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Front Tweeter mounted in stock location…snaps right in, perfect fit

IMG_3199 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Moving on to mounting the Rear Tweeters…notice there isn’t a stock one in the HiFi system. You have to use the provided template you see below, trace the mounting location and cut it out with a sharp blade. This literally is the hardest part of the installation because of the space to work with. Take your time with this part and it’ll all go smoothly. Mock it up first and cut once, cut it right

IMG_3205 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Rear Tweeters…with pre-installed oval plates

IMG_3192 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3207 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3206 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Rear Midrange compared to stock…again, so much more beefy

IMG_3208 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3209 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3210 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Rear Midrange and Rear Tweeter mounted on rear deck (stock speaker grilles re-installed after pics were taken)

IMG_3212 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3213 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Stock Subwoofer and housing

IMG_3214 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3216 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Bavsound Subwoofer…night and day over the stock versions

IMG_3217 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3220 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3221 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Subwoofer compared to stock…the difference is plain to see

IMG_3218 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3219 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Subwoofer mounted in the stock housings…straight forward installation and again, plug and play. They do look great though…it’s a shame you won’t see these anymore

IMG_3223 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3224 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Now to mount the Subwoofers back into the stock locations under the front seats...the whole process of removing and re-installing the subwoofers is pretty easy. You just need the right sized torx bits and some patience. There’s no need to remove the seats completely by the way. Just flip them up as shown in the pics after removing the 4 mounting screws and there will be plenty of room to work with.

IMG_3225 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3226 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Place the stock covers back on and you’re all done

IMG_3230 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3231 by dj_dub, on Flickr

The final step of the installation process…the Amplifier. Locating the stock amplifier is also a pretty straight forward process, you just need to do you research beforehand. I couldn’t find an installation video for this from Bavsound, so I looked online how to remove the trunk carpeting. Once you figure that out, everything else is common sense.

Stock amplifier and location under the left side trunk carpeting

IMG_3287 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3286 by dj_dub, on Flickr

The BimmerTech Amplifier…surprisingly slightly smaller than the stock unit, however packs more punch

IMG_3292 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3290 by dj_dub, on Flickr

BimmerTech Amplifier compared to the stock unit…notice the slight difference in size

IMG_3297 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3295 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Mounts into the stock bracket using the one of the stock bolts and automotive 3m double-sided tape. The tape is used because of the difference in size but works well in this situation.

IMG_3299 by dj_dub, on Flickr

The BimmerTech Amplifier and bracket mounts perfectly into the stock location. TIP: Install the USB cable before mounting the amplifier and bracket into it’s final spot because trying to do this later will be difficult. The USB cable allows you to tune/customize the amplifier via a Windows laptop if desired.

IMG_3300 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_3304 by dj_dub, on Flickr

My initial impressions after completing the installation…

The products: Very very well made quality parts. It’s obvious at first sight and feel. The good packaging is also a very nice touch. What more can I say.

The installation process: Easy and straight forward – very minor modification needed and pretty much plug and play. Anyone can do it just as long as you have the right tools, watch the Bavsound installation videos and do your proper research beforehand. They do state that the process is fast and takes XX:XX amount of minutes per side per speaker, but I don’t agree with that personally…maybe only if you’ve done this a few times and know what to expect. I really think you should take your sweet ass time doing this so you don’t break anything and install it once and install it right the first time. Taking my sweet ass time, this whole process took me 4 hours. Not bad at all.

The sound quality over stock: HOLY CRAP. Yes, it is that noticeable right off the bat. EXACTLY what I wanted. Crisp and super clear highs and mids, hard hitting solid lows. The sound and clarity I wanted badly for inside the cabin is now achieved. There is a break-in period for each type of speaker in which they’ll reach their full potential, but they sound great right out the box!

For those considering this setup for their car, I say buy with confidence. You won’t be disappointed. From the great customer service, fast shipping, quality products, easy installation…you can’t go wrong, it’s worth every penny! Cheers!

My car that these were installed in…

IMG_3250a by dj_dub, on Flickr
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 7
oolas3388.00
cenix379.00
Merlin_83473.50
roastbeef11584.50
      12-12-2016, 10:20 PM   #2
Jhanksm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Comp

great review!!! I need to upgrade
Appreciate 2
dj_dub1802.50
      12-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #3
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Good stuff! I ordered the full Stage 1 w/ Subwoofers too.

No upgrade available for my Amplifier, so that saves me a bit of money, haha.

Can't wait to install mine!
Appreciate 1
dj_dub1802.50
      12-13-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Great review and pics. I installed the underseat subs and it made a very big difference. Planning on doing the full upgrade in the beginning of the year.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
dj_dub1802.50
      12-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanksevo View Post
great review!!! I need to upgrade
Thank you! ...do it man, you won't be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becausephilchow View Post
Good stuff! I ordered the full Stage 1 w/ Subwoofers too.

No upgrade available for my Amplifier, so that saves me a bit of money, haha.

Can't wait to install mine!
Thanks dude! ...haha yeah, the amp is bank but it's worth it if they have an upgrade for your setup. Do you have Premium Sound stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Great review and pics. I installed the underseat subs and it made a very big difference. Planning on doing the full upgrade in the beginning of the year.
Thanks man! You'll be extremely happy with the full speaker setup!
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #6
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Nice write up pare, I have the subs and speaker upgrades but not the amp yet. Just out of curiosity did you try the speakers without the bimmertech amp? Debating to pull the trigger.
Appreciate 1
dj_dub1802.50
      12-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
ijnoj09
modjunkie
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Nice write up! I have their underseat ghost subs and very happy with them. I was debating whether to upgrade the rest of the speakers but not sure how much of an upgrade they'd be. I have the Enhanced Premium system.

Instagram: @jonji_pas
Appreciate 1
dj_dub1802.50
      12-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_dub View Post
Thank you! ...do it man, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks dude! ...haha yeah, the amp is bank but it's worth it if they have an upgrade for your setup. Do you have Premium Sound stock?

Thanks man! You'll be extremely happy with the full speaker setup!
Yes, I have the Premium Sound stock it seems. I sent BimmerTech and BavSound my VIN, and they both said that their Amps don't work for me, as I don't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijnoj09 View Post
Nice write up! I have their underseat ghost subs and very happy with them. I was debating whether to upgrade the rest of the speakers but not sure how much of an upgrade they'd be. I have the Enhanced Premium system.
I reckon they'd still improve it. I only upgraded mine because I noticed mine were starting to crackle, which is usually signs of speaker(s) dying.

Figured if thye're on their way out, might as well upgrade.

Bit of an impulse purchase to say the least
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #9
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, '17 Macan GTS

I've been thinking about this, as I mainly listen to dn'b/jungle...my sound is "meh"...
      12-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #10
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
How much on a level of 1-10 would you say these hit harder than the original EPS subs?
Gintani Supercharger/ Gintani x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 12:45 PM   #11
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
Nice write up pare, I have the subs and speaker upgrades but not the amp yet. Just out of curiosity did you try the speakers without the bimmertech amp? Debating to pull the trigger.
Salamat pare! ...I did. It sounded amazing without it as well honestly. However, when I did install the amp and tried it out...it sounded clearer and felt it had more punch. No distortion as I increased the volume, felt like the speakers were getting the proper power to them now opposed to maxing out the stock amp and being starved of power. I feel with the amp, puts the whole system at it's full potential.

Quote:
Salamat pare! ...I say get the speaker upgrade bro. I have simple logic to that...if you felt an increase over the stock subs, you'll feel a difference in the full interior speaker upgrade even with EPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becausephilchow View Post
Yes, I have the Premium Sound stock it seems. I sent BimmerTech and BavSound my VIN, and they both said that their Amps don't work for me, as I don't need it.
Nice! ...I wish I was in that situation too! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raek View Post
I've been thinking about this, as I mainly listen to dn'b/jungle...my sound is "meh"...
Do it bro, you won't regret it! I listen to various EDM too. Sounds great now in my car!
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #12
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Very nice instructions. I have the EPS and did the subs awhile back. I have been considering the full BavSound setup but reviews seem mixed as to how much better it really is over EPS.
Appreciate 1
dj_dub1802.50
      12-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #13
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Very nice instructions. I have the EPS and did the subs awhile back. I have been considering the full BavSound setup but reviews seem mixed as to how much better it really is over EPS.
How much of a bass improvement did you get over the stock EPS woofers? Especially now that they are broken in? Trying to decide if I should purchase them or not. This would help greatly.

Thanks,
Gintani Supercharger/ Gintani x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #14
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedE93 View Post
How much of a bass improvement did you get over the stock EPS woofers? Especially now that they are broken in? Trying to decide if I should purchase them or not. This would help greatly.

Thanks,
Honestly, I don't notice a dramatic difference. It's there but it's very subtle, IMO. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have held off on the upgrade. I pretty much did it because I was installing new seats anyway and figured why not, but I'm not sure it was worth it in the end.

I should also say, though, that I am by no means an audiophile. Others with more refined ears may see the difference as night and day.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #15
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, I don't notice a dramatic difference. It's there but it's very subtle, IMO. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have held off on the upgrade. I pretty much did it because I was installing new seats anyway and figured why not, but I'm not sure it was worth it in the end.

I should also say, though, that I am by no means an audiophile. Others with more refined ears may see the difference as night and day.
Excellent response, it's greatly appreciated. This is what I was thinking, thank you again.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #16
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Damn Wendell! I told myself I wouldn't upgrade the sound in this car... now I'm thinking I will. hahah!
      12-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #17
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Great write-up!

Thank you for choosing BimmerTech Premium Audio System!
Appreciate 1
dj_dub1802.50
      12-20-2016, 11:44 PM   #18
matt@bavsound
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i

dj_dub - beautiful write-up! Photos looks amazing, and we really appreciate the honest review of the install process as well as the results. We're so happy that you're thrilled with the system!

Having installed really complex audio systems over the course of 10+ years in the custom car audio world, I've really come to appreciate the simplicity of our systems and the bang for the buck.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all post-install. We're happy to help.
      12-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #19
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

dj_dub

Awesome post brother; thank you!
Appreciate 1
dj_dub1802.50
      12-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #20
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks bro! ...I totally understand where you're coming from. My OCD would kill me though not having the full setup! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
Damn Wendell! I told myself I wouldn't upgrade the sound in this car... now I'm thinking I will. hahah!
Hahaha! Sorry pare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
dj_dub

Awesome post brother; thank you!
My pleasure...thank you, I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #21
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Great write-up!

Thank you for choosing BimmerTech Premium Audio System!
Thank you, glad you liked it! Thanks for making an awesome product for our platform!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt@bavsound View Post
dj_dub - beautiful write-up! Photos looks amazing, and we really appreciate the honest review of the install process as well as the results. We're so happy that you're thrilled with the system!

Having installed really complex audio systems over the course of 10+ years in the custom car audio world, I've really come to appreciate the simplicity of our systems and the bang for the buck.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all post-install. We're happy to help.
Thanks Matt, I really appreciate it and I'm honored you guys appreciate the time and effort I took into this review. It was my pleasure and I enjoyed doing this and installing each part.

Agreed, your system hits all points when it comes to the simplicity and bang for the buck. I'll definitely hit you guys up if I have any questions later down the road. Cheers man!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #22
ripper0306
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Black & White Edition

Nice !