BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

11-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #23
yalag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
I have heard this before as well. What dealer? - you sure they said Run Flat?
The last place (autohaus) told me yes run flats, but I called another dealer (town+country) and told me the exact same tire and they said non run flats. lol yea nightmare for a newbie...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #24
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalag View Post
The last place (autohaus) told me yes run flats, but I called another dealer (town+country) and told me the exact same tire and they said non run flats. lol yea nightmare for a newbie...

I would be surprised if they are Run Flats - to my knowledge the OEM 270M Winter Snow package is 18X8 and is the Pilot Alpin PA3 tire. (I am not sure this tire even comes in a Run Flat - but I am not certain about that point. As a side note Run Flat tires (RFT) can also be very hard on rims and if you hit a pot hole there is more of a chance you could not only damage the tire but also bend the rim (especially on cheap wheels - not that the OEM ones are!)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #25
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

My set of PA3 is non run flat. I like honestly and fair.
Jaypod has an extra set of winter package at a good price.
I made Jaypod an offer. Yalag, I am happy for you to contact Jaypod and give him an offer. I want to be fair to Jaypod.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #26
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

Quote:
Good grief! The package is Pilot Alpins and is not run-flats: http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/owners/acces...poke_270m.html
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #27
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Just put mine on yesterday. They are NOT run-flats.

As to whether they are "Primacy" or not, think they are not Primacy, just Michelin Pilot Alpins PA3s in 235/40R18. This is the BMW package.
      11-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #28
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

I had my Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D tires installed today on the OEM 18 'summer' wheels; 235/40/18 front 255/40/18 rear. I can't tell you what they are like in snow yet (but I can't wait!!!) but I can sure get the tail loose in the dry!

Gearhead999 makes a good point I never considered though. 45 aspect ratio for better clearance might have been a good call.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #29
revmmm
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3 Cab SSII

Garage List
2007 X5 4.8i  [0.00]
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCHOSTO View Post
Gearhead999 makes a good point I never considered though.
Great, just what we need...more encouragement for Duncan's advice...

2008 E93 M3 - SSII, 6MT, 19", EDC,...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #30
yalag
Private First Class
Rep

hey just wondering why do people buy tires with rims and not just the tires? It would be cheaper and the rebalancing isn't really that expensive each year?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #31
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
hey just wondering why do people buy tires with rims and not just the tires? It would be cheaper and the rebalancing isn't really that expensive each year?
There are people who just as you describe. However this does put extra wear on the wheels and does increase the chance for damage to your wheels (tire machine on and off). A lot of people go to a dedicated snow package as it makes it easier for the switch (can do it yourself for example) and protect their summer wheels. More likely to slide into or hit a curb as you dont notice it and the salt etc can damage the finish of your wheel too. Also most people will run narrower tires (especially in the rear) for snow vs. a staggered set up, although in the GTA this isnt really that much of a concern. hope that adds some insight.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #32
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Jaypod is dead on there. I also want to add that depending on the rim you get, it can be cheaper in the long run. At my local "stealer" they charged me $180 for my last mount/balance. So assuming its the same price to mount and remove twice a year, you'd basically pay for a nice set of replica rims after a couple years.. There is also the added benefit of less hassle going to the dealer, the risk of damage to rims and tires at the dealer and just the cool factor of having something different on your car for a while.

I bought winter replica rims, and if there was not an inexpensive choice, I probably wouldnt have bothered. $1200+ for winter rims just seems silly to me.. $700, ya sure why not.

BTW its cool that BMW recommends the pa3.. thats what I got! I'm interested to see how they compare to the Dunlop Wintersports.
      11-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #33
yalag
Private First Class
Rep

The OEM package is 4k, I wonder how much it would be to get the same 4 tiers but in 19''
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #34
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

It is totally beyond me why anyone would buy the oem set for winter at $4K. The only excuse for that purchase is the ignorance of not doing your homework, or just that you didnt have the time or effort to deal with it. You can get a set of PA3's for $1200 or so, and a VERY nice set of rims for $1500 (probably forged if that matters to you, I dont know for sure) and still save a grand. Go the replica route and save hundreds more. My entire setup cost me $2K installed, and it would have been a little less if I went the square 8" rim route. I went square 18x8.5" VMR CSL replicas and 245 series PA3's.
      11-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #35
yalag
Private First Class
Rep

well one reason (in my case for example) is that the tire insurance that I bought does not cover anything outside of OEM
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #36
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
well one reason (in my case for example) is that the tire insurance that I bought does not cover anything outside of OEM
IMO the money spent on buying the tire & wheel insurance is more than made up by what you save buying tires in the open market.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #37
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

Yes but the aftermarket setup is not oem. Its sold by BMW but its not what comes on the car from the factory. This little nuance is just the sort of thing insurance companies look for to deny your claims - I suppose the caveat would be if the insurance is specifically said to cover that set, in which case it now makes sense why the feel it necessary to so grossly overcharge, but still imo this is not a reason to buy the package.

Gearhead - assuming you have tire or wheel issues. Personally, I've never had one! And for the extra $1000-1500 you've spent on the oem setup you could buy new rims or tires that get damaged.... you'd have to totally blow away a couple rims (and a tire or two) to just break even on that purchase. IMO there is no real way to monetarily rationalize that purchase!
      11-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #38
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Yes but the aftermarket setup is not oem. Its sold by BMW but its not what comes on the car from the factory. This little nuance is just the sort of thing insurance companies look for to deny your claims - I suppose the caveat would be if the insurance is specifically said to cover that set, in which case it now makes sense why the feel it necessary to so grossly overcharge, but still imo this is not a reason to buy the package.

Gearhead - assuming you have tire or wheel issues. Personally, I've never had one! And for the extra $1000-1500 you've spent on the oem setup you could buy new rims or tires that get damaged.... you'd have to totally blow away a couple rims (and a tire or two) to just break even on that purchase. IMO there is no real way to monetarily rationalize that purchase!
The Rim & Tire warranty that was mentioned does cover the OEM Winter Tire package. I believe it was on the condition that you purchase "BMW OEM" Rims. On a side note I was told that if I bought the Dinan or ACS that my local dealer sells that the warranty would also be extended to that as well . I personally dont have the warranty as I figured I would be buying aftermarket wheels anyways.

I think you & Gearhead mean the same thing!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #39
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

BTW its cool that BMW recommends the pa3.. thats what I got! I'm interested to see how they compare to the Dunlop Wintersports.
I think you will be happy with the PA3's - I was really happy with them last winter - handled very well in the snow and the dry performance was really good (90% of the time around hear the roads are clear anyways). My last few cars had the Pirelli Wintersports and these are much better IMO. Although I have heard good things about the Pirelli Sottozeros (or whatever their called). Enjoy

Did you ever get your Wheel issue sorted?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #40
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

Quote:
The OEM package is 4k, I wonder how much it would be to get the same 4 tiers but in 19''
I bought my E92 last Oct, 08. I need winter tires to drive in Ottawa and I went through all sort of combination in order to save money. I purchased a set of PA3 and installed on OEM 18" rim. Today I am going to purchase a set of OEM Winter Package from Jaypod. Why? There must be a reason.
I want to enjoy driving my car. I like to drive in any weather at any time. I am only a normal driver in Ottawa.
One example, freezing rain or black ice, make a left/right turn, even you have traction control, DSC or ..., still need a little room to slip, road curb and pot holes are waiting for you, 18" tire has more forgiveness than 19" tire.
I have already stored my Porsche & Mercedes. If I store M3, I will leave with 98 Honda Accord with 260,000km. I better buy OEM Winter Package and put on the best snow tires every year.
Just 1 accident, you will lose more than what you saved.
If we have try our best, no regret.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #41
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP AY/SS 6MT

Sorry, I haven't actually read through all the post and kind of skimmed the first post.

Wasn't there a set of blizzaks on OEM 18's for sale in the Marketplace recently? That'd be a convenient and cost saving option.

I've got Blizzak LM25s I ordered from Tirerack a few months back. Everything arrived within a week and the price saving over ordering locally was phenomenal. They're on my M3 now however the weather has been unusually warm and dry for the past month or so. It feels like a waste and I can't really comment on how well they have performed yet.
      11-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #42
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
I think you will be happy with the PA3's - I was really happy with them last winter - handled very well in the snow and the dry performance was really good (90% of the time around hear the roads are clear anyways). My last few cars had the Pirelli Wintersports and these are much better IMO. Although I have heard good things about the Pirelli Sottozeros (or whatever their called). Enjoy

Did you ever get your Wheel issue sorted?

Thats good news!

About my wheel issue. I'm stil trying to get my wheels returned. The vendor (unnamed for now) is dragging ass and pissing me off! I ended up reordering wheels - vmr csl - and they are on their way to me. I think I should have any more problem,s but I had to get matte black instead of gunmetal - gunmetal is out of stock apparently.
      11-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #43
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thats good news!

About my wheel issue. I'm stil trying to get my wheels returned. The vendor (unnamed for now) is dragging ass and pissing me off! I ended up reordering wheels - vmr csl - and they are on their way to me. I think I should have any more problem,s but I had to get matte black instead of gunmetal - gunmetal is out of stock apparently.
Sorry to hear you are still having troubles - i dont think you can go wrong with the VMR - they seem to be pretty popular and problem free! I am sure the matte black will look good - be sure to post a pic once you get sorted!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #44
ep99
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Sorry to dig up this link again.

I was reading the fine print in my tire and rim insurance policy and it did say it will support aftermarket purchase as long as they are under the manufacturer recommended spec.

So if your aftermarket winter package is 235/40R18...technically the insurance company should cover it.
Appreciate 0