BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-23-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
jgprather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Opinions needed on fundraising event

Hello: My mother and I co-founded The Big Fun Foundation. Basically, we raise funds in order to create Big Fun Boxes--activity boxes that we donate to pediatric hospitals for extended stay patients. As a kid, I spent a lot of time in the hospital and my family and I know how being creative can help time go by faster and make stress subside if only for a little while.

We are planning our first fundraising event. It will be a rappelling event. A company that helps non-profits run rappelling events approached us about this idea several months ago. Participants will raise/donate $1000 to get to rappel down a 20-30 story building in Jacksonville, FL.

There may be a casual reception the evening of the rappel for participants/donors.

We're trying to get feedback on the viability of this fundraiser. Would this be something that would interest you or do you know people that it would interest?

BTW, this is not a solicitation for participation. But if you do want more info, you can PM me.

Thanks a bunch!
BMW CCA member #409683

cystic fibrosis survivor, bilateral lung transplant recipient, cancer fighter. Never give up!

Co-founder and Creative Director, The Big Fun Foundation
Please visit, www.thebigfunbox.org
Making fun contagious.®
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

hi there...the first thing that i thought of is that you are going to need to consult with an insurance expert/liability lawyer to make sure you're not exposed in case something goes wrong...you also might have donors who'd get cold feet...perhaps the company already has all this covered.

definitely do a reception...i get the impression that the rappel will all be over rather quickly, and you need something to do while you're waiting in line. good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
jgprather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Event insurance will be taken care of.

$1000 is the amount needed for a person to donate/help raise for them to rappel.

Our Foundation has exclusivity to this event in Jacksonville. So no other non-profit can put on a similar event. This area sees tons of golf tournaments and 5K runs for charity. We wanted to bring something different to the table.
BMW CCA member #409683

cystic fibrosis survivor, bilateral lung transplant recipient, cancer fighter. Never give up!

Co-founder and Creative Director, The Big Fun Foundation
Please visit, www.thebigfunbox.org
Making fun contagious.®
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 12:49 AM   #4
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgprather View Post
Event insurance will be taken care of.

$1000 is the amount needed for a person to donate/help raise for them to rappel.

Our Foundation has exclusivity to this event in Jacksonville. So no other non-profit can put on a similar event. This area sees tons of golf tournaments and 5K runs for charity. We wanted to bring something different to the table.
ok gotcha. what is the demographic of your current givers, and the ones you are targeting? if they are reasonably active then you might be on to a winner. if quite a few of them are more mobility challenged, or just not the risk-taking type, maybe not so much. perhaps float the idea by a couple of your biggest supporters? if they say go for it, then great!

it's certainly an interesting and unique concept, and a great cause as well. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I like the idea of something different, but a rappel might be too different to draw a large contributing crowd. But you never know, and I am sure there are not many places in FL to rappel LOL.

Good luck though, it's great when people get involved, props to you and your family for jumping in (no pun)!
Appreciate 0