BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-06-2023, 10:54 AM   #1
MND
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 E92 M3

DCT causing issues

Howdie folks,

Long time listener, first time caller here.

We have E92 M3 with the DCT that has been giving us issues lately. The car will display the transmission icon along other faults and the screen will display "Functionality or display of gear selector position may malfunction." essentially putting it in N. At first you could pull over, turn it off then back on and its fine.

Sometimes that didn't work and you have to clear the codes to start driving again. And sometimes you can't clear the codes and the car will not start. Have to wait 20-60 minutes before you can clear codes and start driving again.

Have read all post pertaining to the DCT on this and other forums and though some have had similar issues, could not get to the root of it.

Below are the codes the car throws. We have cleared them multiple times as stated above but its always the same ones that come back. Additionally there are never any codes for the DCT itself.

cd9d cd9e cdb0 cdb4 cdb8 d357 a0b1 A73D E094 E1E3

Work that has been done to the car recently:

-Rod bearings were changed and this started about 3 weeks after that.

-Brought it back to the shop for them to check their work. They also did the latest software update at that time as it was still original form 2009 hoping this would fix it.

-Car did it again about 2-3 weeks after so we had them change the ground straps (all 3) as some have said this can cause those issues. Now the issue has come back and you cannot drive more than a few minutes without the codes coming back.

Battery is good, alternator is also good so we have ruled out those as possibilities.

If anyone has any insight or can provide any help, would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 04:54 PM   #2
yardbro
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E39 528i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [5.00]
What are you using to pull these codes? INPA I'm guessing.

You'll usually get a lot better input on the forums if you provide the code descriptions as well not just the codes themselves. Most people aren't going to want to look all these up.

Just glancing over this the first few that I checked absolutely pertain to the DCT so not sure how you came to that conclusion. For example "cdb0" "Message (display, transmission data , 0x1D2) incorrect, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/SMG/DCT".

Try to post a little more info and we can probably get you a little closer as to what's going on.

Edit: I went ahead and looked them up for you. We can clearly see that the DKG (DCT) is losing communication, probably intermittently with at least the DME, GWS, and DSC. Based on the connection diagram these all happen over the PT-CAN line. Have someone look over the connections on the DCT connector itself. It's entirely possible that the DCT module could be faulty, but you'll want to start by troubleshooting the connections first especially when it's in a state of no-comm.
Attached Images

Last edited by yardbro; 10-06-2023 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 06:29 PM   #3
MND
Rep

Thanks for your help and apologies for not including the descriptions.

I have broken all of them down below. Codes were pulled from an Autel unit.

What you recommend is where we are now. All of the wiring and connections have been checked with the car on the lift. They now want to drop the transmission in order to check more wiring.

Will update once I have more info. Any other insight you can shed would be much appreciated.

I know it's quite rare on these transmissions but how many people have had the mechatronics unit go bad?

Codes:
CD9D- Message (transmission data) error, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
CD9E- Message (transmission data 2) error, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
CDB0- Message (display of transmission data) error, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
CDB4- Message (transmission data) error, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
CDB8- Message (DKG torque request) error, receiver DDE, transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
D357- No message (transmission), receiver DSC, transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
A0B1- Car Access System (CAS): input, selector lever position, implausible
A73D- No message (auxiliary coolant pump), receiver JBE, transmitter DME-DDE
E094- No message (display of transmission data) from EGS (Electronic Transmission Control), receiver GWS, transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
E1E3- Message (reverse gear) error, receiver CIC, transmitter FRM
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 06:39 PM   #4
yardbro
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E39 528i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
Thanks for your help and apologies for not including the descriptions.

I have broken all of them down below. Codes were pulled from an Autel unit.

What you recommend is where we are now. All of the wiring and connections have been checked with the car on the lift. They now want to drop the transmission in order to check more wiring.

Will update once I have more info. Any other insight you can shed would be much appreciated.

I know it's quite rare on these transmissions but how many people have had the mechatronics unit go bad?

Codes:
CD9D- Message (transmission data) error, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
CD9E- Message (transmission data 2) error, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
CDB0- Message (display of transmission data) error, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
CDB4- Message (transmission data) error, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
CDB8- Message (DKG torque request) error, receiver DDE, transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
D357- No message (transmission), receiver DSC, transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
A0B1- Car Access System (CAS): input, selector lever position, implausible
A73D- No message (auxiliary coolant pump), receiver JBE, transmitter DME-DDE
E094- No message (display of transmission data) from EGS (Electronic Transmission Control), receiver GWS, transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
E1E3- Message (reverse gear) error, receiver CIC, transmitter FRM
It would be quite rare but certainly not impossible for it to be the actual DKG module. Since we don't see any codes for other modules having comm issues, it is most likely that the PT-CAN line itself is intact.

This allows us to narrow it down to either the physical DKG module, or something with the connections at either end. Ensure that they are checking the connections inside the DME box under the hood as well as I believe that's where they head directly from the DCT.

Definitely keep us updated as either you or the shop discovers more. I am interested in this one.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 06:42 PM   #5
MND
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardbro View Post
It would be quite rare but certainly not impossible for it to be the actual DKG module. Since we don't see any codes for other modules having comm issues, it is most likely that the PT-CAN line itself is intact.

This allows us to narrow it down to either the physical DKG module, or something with the connections at either end. Ensure that they are checking the connections inside the DME box under the hood as well as I believe that's where they head directly from the DCT.
Will do. Thanks for your help with this. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 07:31 PM   #6
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90M3

Subscribed! I'm having issues with my DCT as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 09:38 AM   #7
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

i would highly suggest using bmw tools to diagnose this, as it will guide you to the exact failure in most case. this one sounds like you'll be chasing gremlins.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 09:20 AM   #8
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
i would highly suggest using bmw tools to diagnose this, as it will guide you to the exact failure in most case. this one sounds like you'll be chasing gremlins.
I agree.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 02:51 PM   #9
MND
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
Yes the shop is using ISTA. I pulled the codes initially with the scanner I had.

Currently still diagnosing. For now everything is pointing to the mechatronics unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 11:16 AM   #10
MND
Rep

SITREP:

The issue turned out to be the gasket that is supposed to seal the electronics within the mechatronics. When you remove the main cover plate there is a small rectangular metal plate that covers the electronics to prevent the oil from getting in and that gasket is what failed causing oil to enter that housing and short out the electronics.

I remember reading someone had the same failure either here or on another forum.

BMW does not sell this gasket by itself. You have to buy a brand new mechatronics so I would highly advise anyone who has to drop the tranny for any reason to open it up and re-seal it as it will be much cheaper to do preventative maintenance than having to get a new mechatronics.

Thanks to all who helped with this.

Happy New Year!
Appreciate 3