BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

05-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #23
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
6 Vendors in one thread? haha Attachment 390180
I thought the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #24
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Correct, MY11 still uses the fiber lines as the 08-10 models do.

Missed your question above, the AiB's are LED. Here's an install we performed last week on a MY11 ZCP M3:
They look fantastic, Tom, I sent you a PM.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #25
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Only problem w/ the AiBs is they are really not very bright in the daylight from what I have read!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 12:49 AM   #26
sam.k
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Only problem w/ the AiBs is they are really not very bright in the daylight from what I have read!
i have the AiBs and I am very happy with the brightness. they look very good during daytime.

Current: 2016 F82 Black Sapphire Metallic M4
Past: 2009 E92 Jet Black M3
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 12:54 AM   #27
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.k View Post
i have the AiBs and I am very happy with the brightness. they look very good during daytime.
They as bright as stock?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 03:30 AM   #28
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Tom, the heat released from the resistor box on most LEDs on the market for our headlights is much more then the HID bulbs,

I am not sure about your product, but I have many customers who change over from many LED brands, including LUX, and they give off much more heat then our HID Angel Light Kit.

I can promise you that our kit releases less heat from the bulb then the OEM Halogen Bulb even at the 4.2volt 17watt Day Time Running Lamp Mode.

Our kit is direct PLUG AND PLAY, no WIRE SPLICING. Matter of fact, I do not know a single Angel Eye kit that requires splicing any wires, I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE YOU CAME UP WITH THAT?? They might require extra wiring & external install, but by no means is there one Angel Eye option out there that is as bright as HID Angels.

I am local, and I'm at VF a lot picking up/dropping off Sirag all the time, and next time I stop by I would be more then happy to stop by your shop and I'll bring a temp gun, or if you wish you bring one, and we can test how hot STOCK VS HID Angel Eyes & Your LEDs are since these headlights are real expensive as you say. Last I checked there is over 400+ HID Angel Eye kits running without a single damaged 3 series/M headlight.

I can not believe you said what you said man, just shocking.

As far as the "BLUE COLOR OUTPUT" there is 3000K-6000K bulbs that give out a full white or hyper white effect with NO BLUE, just because we post pictures of 8000K+ does not mean HIDs are lights that give out BLUE all the time.

JUST SHOCKING AND LOW Tom, JUST SHOCKING!

Quote:
Here's a diagram of the fiber path used in the e92 setup:

The inner lamp will always get a direct shot from the bulb (H8). However, the outer projector will always be weaker due to the travel path needed in the fiber lines to illuminate the ring. This is why the outer rings are always dimmer than the inner.

All the latest and greatest bulbs on the market will not correct this design. This HID kits are interesting as they use a very high color temperature, reducing the lumen output in order to illuminate the rings. Unfortunately - this gives a very blue color, which is not what we're looking for. Also - HIDs run at very high temperatures and these headlamps are by no means cheap to replace.

Things to expect with AiB-based setups:
- 5500-6000K temperature for a bright, white light.
- Easy 10-minute installation
- 100% Plug and Play, without the need for wire splicing, tapping or additional wire harnesses
- OEM-like integration
- Low heat output, unlike colored bulbs or HID kits

Here's our 1-series project that is in development:

There's no need to over-complicate a mod that should be relatively simple on the end-user's side.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #29
Dan335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535 M Sport

Here a picture of OEM, LUX (which I hear is brighter then the EAS ones,) and Alpine HID Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snertz View Post
Here's a pic for those wondering what the 7000k look like , it's the one on the right

Left to right : Stock - Lux - Alpine HID

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #30
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post
Tom, the heat released from the resistor box on most LEDs on the market for our headlights is much more then the HID bulbs,

I am not sure about your product, but I have many customers who change over from many LED brands, including LUX, and they give off much more heat then our HID Angel Light Kit.

I can promise you that our kit releases less heat from the bulb then the OEM Halogen Bulb even at the 4.2volt 17watt Day Time Running Lamp Mode.

Our kit is direct PLUG AND PLAY, no WIRE SPLICING. Matter of fact, I do not know a single Angel Eye kit that requires splicing any wires, I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE YOU CAME UP WITH THAT?? They might require extra wiring & external install, but by no means is there one Angel Eye option out there that is as bright as HID Angels.

I am local, and I'm at VF a lot picking up/dropping off Sirag all the time, and next time I stop by I would be more then happy to stop by your shop and I'll bring a temp gun, or if you wish you bring one, and we can test how hot STOCK VS HID Angel Eyes & Your LEDs are since these headlights are real expensive as you say. Last I checked there is over 400+ HID Angel Eye kits running without a single damaged 3 series/M headlight.

I can not believe you said what you said man, just shocking.

As far as the "BLUE COLOR OUTPUT" there is 3000K-6000K bulbs that give out a full white or hyper white effect with NO BLUE, just because we post pictures of 8000K+ does not mean HIDs are lights that give out BLUE all the time.

JUST SHOCKING AND LOW Tom, JUST SHOCKING!
No mean to offend - no one brought up wire splicing as the topic was directed at uneven brightness of the rings.

However, you bring up a great point - neither of the LED kits (LED or AiB) require splicing or external ballasts. LEDs utilize a small DriverPack that is mounted externally on LUX and inside the headlamp on AiB units for a completely stealth install.

We tried the HID route over 3 years ago. While it was much cheaper, we decided not to go this route due it simply exaggerates what is already there: uneven light output between the rings. Heat is a different story, and it pertains to the HID ignitor, not the ballast. A higher Kelvin temperature bulb is typically used in order to limit light output so the fiber lines to not blind oncoming drivers, but the end result is a blue colored ring.

I have some test data we'll be releasing shortly on the HIDs as well as some interesting installs that have come through the shop throughout the past.

Claiming the brightest light output means nothing if the light output is not properly distributed - this is a limitation of the headlight design, not the light source. Angel Eyes (whether stock or aftermarket) are a signature look for these vehicles that is probably the first mod seen when an M3 is spotted on the road.

Stay tuned.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #31
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

I have no clue what HID kit if any you guys have tested, our "ignitor" does not release any heat what so ever. New age digital ballast release very little heat, probably less then your LED pack, and our ignitor does not release no heat.

Our bulbs are made with a glass that is mixed with plastic, it costs us more but releases much less heat then your standard HID bulbs.

I am confused why would you even bring up the ignitor, it isn't even placed not even close to the headlights.

I can not tell you how many kits we have sold, review our sales and customer feedback all accross the 1 series-3 series forums; not a single customer with heat problems, or mad at the light output,

I always see people selling their LEDs in the for sale section, not their HIDs.

Quote:
No mean to offend - no one brought up wire splicing as the topic was directed at uneven brightness of the rings.

However, you bring up a great point - neither of the LED kits (LED or AiB) require splicing or external ballasts. LEDs utilize a small DriverPack that is mounted externally on LUX and inside the headlamp on AiB units for a completely stealth install.

We tried the HID route over 3 years ago. While it was much cheaper, we decided not to go this route due it simply exaggerates what is already there: uneven light output between the rings. Heat is a different story, and it pertains to the HID ignitor, not the ballast. A higher Kelvin temperature bulb is typically used in order to limit light output so the fiber lines to not blind oncoming drivers, but the end result is a blue colored ring.

I have some test data we'll be releasing shortly on the HIDs as well as some interesting installs that have come through the shop throughout the past.

Claiming the brightest light output means nothing if the light output is not properly distributed - this is a limitation of the headlight design, not the light source. Angel Eyes (whether stock or aftermarket) are a signature look for these vehicles that is probably the first mod seen when an M3 is spotted on the road.

Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #32
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #33
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post
I have no clue what HID kit if any you guys have tested, our "ignitor" does not release any heat what so ever. New age digital ballast release very little heat, probably less then your LED pack, and our ignitor does not release no heat.

Our bulbs are made with a glass that is mixed with plastic, it costs us more but releases much less heat then your standard HID bulbs.

I am confused why would you even bring up the ignitor, it isn't even placed not even close to the headlights.

I can not tell you how many kits we have sold, review our sales and customer feedback all accross the 1 series-3 series forums; not a single customer with heat problems, or mad at the light output,

I always see people selling their LEDs in the for sale section, not their HIDs.
I'm not singling you out personally, nor like the direction this thread is headed. If anything, Camaross was the first to really pioneer the idea to a public level.

I've never referred to ballast heat, it's irrelevant. I'm referring to the actual lightsource used in the headlamp, which emits the light. Also - unless you have a factory in China (where most HIDs are produced), you're not manufacturing the ballasts - let's stick to the topic at hand here so we're all up to speed.

I've personally seen Sirag's M3 many times, as well as the HID kit that's installed. I'm particularly fond of the load equalizers used as these run at VERY high temperatures, ahd have caused a number of LCM issues in the past on previous models.

A HID kit is an HID kit - regardless if it's installed in the headlamps, fogs or angel eyes. There's nothing you are changing to make the working any different in terms of light output or heat. LEDs are cool to the touch, but require a heatsink to pull the heat generated away in order to prevent light deterioration or failure - like most computer processors.

If you have changed something within the circuitry within the ballast which affects light output, please feel free to inform the thread in detail so we all come to a clear understanding of how your kit is different and put the all the confusion to rest.

Sorry to offend, and I'm sure you have many happy users - but I'm simply stating facts. Please let's keep this to a civil level.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #34
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

You see Tom, what your saying is not relating to anything, Sirag's kit is not my kit, it is a custom kit, I DO NOT, and I REPEAT I DO NOT USE LOAD EQs. Everything is sealed and tucked away, not like Sirag's.

Nor my kit or Camaross's kit use LOAD EQs, your cheap shots is what keeps this uncivil.

My ballast are hand picked from many ballast on the market, and no HIDs are not all the same.

Some HIDs make way too much heat, at no point did I claim I have a factory in China, but I promise you this, my bulbs and ballast, no one will use because they are so expensive. I take pride in what I do to keep problems low as possible and customers happy as possible.

What are you going to claim next?

Quote:
I'm not singling you out personally, nor like the direction this thread is headed. If anything, Camaross was the first to really pioneer the idea to a public level.

I've never referred to ballast heat, it's irrelevant. I'm referring to the actual lightsource used in the headlamp, which emits the light. Also - unless you have a factory in China (where most HIDs are produced), you're not manufacturing the ballasts - let's stick to the topic at hand here so we're all up to speed.

I've personally seen Sirag's M3 many times, as well as the HID kit that's installed. I'm particularly fond of the load equalizers used as these run at VERY high temperatures, ahd have caused a number of LCM issues in the past on previous models.

A HID kit is an HID kit - regardless if it's installed in the headlamps, fogs or angel eyes. There's nothing you are changing to make the working any different in terms of light output or heat. LEDs are cool to the touch, but require a heatsink to pull the heat generated away in order to prevent light deterioration or failure - like most computer processors.

If you have changed something within the circuitry within the ballast which affects light output, please feel free to inform the thread in detail so we all come to a clear understanding of how your kit is different and put the all the confusion to rest.

Sorry to offend, and I'm sure you have many happy users - but I'm simply stating facts. Please let's keep this to a civil level.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #35
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

who gives a fuck
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #36
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
who gives a fuck
I'm sure both are good products and both have their pro's and con's.

I don't need the "brightest" out there, especially a unit that seems to bleed a lot of light onto the inner ring.

From the 50+ pics I've seen on these forums, AiB's seem to disperse light better than the HID's - it's also common sense - if the HID's are in fact BRIGHTER than the AiB's, then the HID's will bleed more light into the inner ring due to the OEM design of the angel eye fiber.

This is just my opinion and I think both look very nice. To each his own, some want a really bright solution, others a more subdued solution.

Someone should shoot a professional side-by-side.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #37
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

The side by side was listed with the LUX a few post before yours, I am sure EAS is not as bright as LUX.

That kit contains the picture of OEM, then LUX, then AlpineHIDs.

Here Tom,

This is a link to a beta kit one of the forum members installed.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363031

This is my kit, clear as day, there is no load EQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I'm sure both are good products and both have their pro's and con's.

I don't need the "brightest" out there, especially a unit that seems to bleed a lot of light onto the inner ring.

From the 50+ pics I've seen on these forums, AiB's seem to disperse light better than the HID's - it's also common sense - if the HID's are in fact BRIGHTER than the AiB's, then the HID's will bleed more light into the inner ring due to the OEM design of the angel eye fiber.

This is just my opinion and I think both look very nice. To each his own, some want a really bright solution, others a more subdued solution.

Someone should shoot a professional side-by-side.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #38
E92M3Guy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E92 M3

With all these vendors in here, if the product is good, it will sell without any issues. It is best to let the consumers chat with each other without biased opinions in what is best and not...we all know your products so just let it be, it went from what is best to a pissing contest btw vendors.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #39
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92M3Guy View Post
With all these vendors in here, if the product is good, it will sell without any issues. It is best to let the consumers chat with each other without biased opinions in what is best and not...we all know your products so just let it be, it went from what is best to a pissing contest btw vendors.
I agree. Let's leave it at that.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #40
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

^^ +1

There's clearly a reason why Angel iBrights are out of stock so often.
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #41
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

Lol WOW. Talk about defensive. Alex@Alpine seems to have some bitterness towards Tom and EAS. So much hostility. And I thought over here that vendors are supposed to be calm and cool. I wonder how much Alex@Alpine just lost in sales from his attitude.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #42
brandon @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 335i

Here are some shots of an e90 M3 Angelibright install I did yesterday:

And the install I did today on a 2010 e90 M3:

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #43
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

hmmmm..... I think Alex brings up some valid points.... Quite often I find posts from vendors on this forum very misleading. Usually they don't out right lie, but quite often it's full of facts that don't entirely show the whole truth. (i.e some of toms posts earlier naming "bad" items associated with HID's yet they aren't even a part of the kit he's attacking). This is just one example of this behavior by vendors throughout this forum. There's tons when it comes to CEL lights and readiness test and state inspections too. (not to stray from topic).

Anyway, that being said.... I have AiB's and I'm quite pleased with them. I've also had the camaross kit, but it was just way too bright and broke too many times so I took it out. To be fair though, my AiB's broke as well, but both EAS and Camaross offered the customer service necessary to remedy the issue.
      05-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #44
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
hmmmm..... I think Alex brings up some valid points.... Quite often I find posts from vendors on this forum very misleading. Usually they don't out right lie, but quite often it's full of facts that don't entirely show the whole truth. (i.e some of toms posts earlier naming "bad" items associated with HID's yet they aren't even a part of the kit he's attacking). This is just one example of this behavior by vendors throughout this forum. There's tons when it comes to CEL lights and readiness test and state inspections too. (not to stray from topic).

Anyway, that being said.... I have AiB's and I'm quite pleased with them. I've also had the camaross kit, but it was just way too bright and broke too many times so I took it out. To be fair though, my AiB's broke as well, but both EAS and Camaross offered the customer service necessary to remedy the issue.
Thank you, that is all I wanted to point out, all these claims against the HID Angel's are not true, less heat then OEM, NO SPLICING of anything, and cutting, or hot ignitors/ballast.

You guys can also check out the Vendor Feedback section on the 1 series forums which is almost 2 pages long to see the list of happy customers and make a post on how many if any had to warranty their kit at all. I have had 2 warranty cases out of all the kits I have sold.

Here is some raw un edited pictures...

Appreciate 0