BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

BPM

08-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #45
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Well....Vettel is not the first person lost their focus this weekend....
Kobayashi ignored the red light and FIA staff during qualifying...
The Mercedes GP pit crew who put the wheel nut on (might be machine failure)
then the Renault lollipop man who released Kubica into oncoming Force India car....
Then Vettel.....
I suppose everyone was thinking about the 4 weeks break coming soon...
      08-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #46
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

08-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #47
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Probably the most exciting race of the season. My stomach was in knotts during the battle between FA and SV and I was fist pumping for MW as he built up that gap before his pit stop.

MW drove brilliantly. Well deserved. Too bad the bad luck continues for SV but he will have many more chances in his career.

The 3 week "break" is going to kill me.
      08-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #48
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^I don't think I was watching the same race as you.
boring ZZzzzzzzzzzzz
At least the actual racing.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #49
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
I wouldn't say its the "most" exciting race...just a few moments during the safety car...

then a bit frustrated seeing the faster red bull unable to overtake because it lack of pack on sector 3....and needed the straight line speed on the pit straight....

then the schumi move on Rubens....

other than that...not too much excitment...
      08-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #50
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
MS got off light with just a 10 position grid penalty. He could have killed RB and thrown his entire legacy down the toilet...he's quickly becoming a desperate backmarker, he should retire again.

Brawn and MB seem to have nothing for their competitors this season.

Surprised at far off McLaren is again, feel bad for Hamilton, it's a constructor's race currently and they need to find some floppy wing tech fast.

Vettel needs maturity. I wish he would have taken a shot at Alonso.
      08-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #51
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Yeah, other than Schumacher trying to run Rubens into the wall, the loose wheel in the pits and the brain fart by the Renault's Lollipop man, it was a pretty boring race. Now if Weber had had a tire failure just before pitting, that would have been more interesting.
      08-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #52
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
But that was another epic drive from webber....dominated the field with 20+ sec gap...even a bit of luck with the SC...and the penalty of vettel....
      08-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #53
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

^best part of the race by far.
It was amazing that he could put those kind of lap times down with so many laps on the options.
First class bit of driving there.

Last edited by inTgr8r; 08-01-2010 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #54
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I thought the race was fun to watch. Vettel does need some maturity but I do think we're looking at a future multiple WDC champ. When I was watching the cars stacked up behind the safety car I remember thinking "what the fuck is he doing holding everyone up like that?" And sure enough... I had no clue there was a rule like that and clearly he didn't either. It's gotta really eat you up to lose a race that you had completely in the bag over something so stupid. Oh well... it's just a lack of experience.

BTW, Kobayashi didn't get much mention but he really drove the wheels off that car moving up something like 15 positions from the start. He's another man to watch even though his voice sounds like a muppet.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #55
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Vettel does need some maturity but I do think we're looking at a future multiple WDC champ.
I agree, this season will only accelerate his advancement from being a blazing fast driver to a formidalbe racer and champion. He would solidly be in the points lead not for his two self inflicted incidents.

Webber had a fantasic race, great cool headed driving, what a pro.
      08-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #56
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
hope SV learned from his lessons from previous two races....
Apparently he did... but keeps f***ing up in new ways. Can't win championships like that. He has noboby to blame but him. Yes, he had bad luck when the SC was deployed with a 13+ sec gap, but without his stupidity he'd have won the race when MW eventually pitted. He handed the race to MW and 2nd to FA.

Man, MS almost running RB into the wall wasn't justifiable even if in the lead, let alone in freaking 10th. What a creep. He's done. And now he's going to have to re-retire as a loser.

Seems like it's down to the top 5 drivers, and top 2 constructors for the titles. It's practically impossible for Ferrari to win the latter IMO, but can certainly win the former with consistency. Looking forward to the other races.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #57
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Good race all together. Few thoughts.

Webber: Good pace, patience, and a bit of luck with Vettel's issues. No complaints on him from me today. Still not a big fan of his, but I respect the drive he put out there.

Hamilton: I couldn't be more disappointed by how it ended for him. And I don't see anything to blame save just poor luck. He was in such an inferior car, that 4th place finish would have been IMMENSE for his WDC standings until Mclaren gets things going again. Unfortunately, mechanical issues do happen and often at the worst of times. Hopefully, he can keep his optimism up. Seems to be one of his strengths as a driver, to always stay position. I expect great things to come once Mclaren get back into the pace of the Bulls and Horses.

Vettel: I feel Vettel was robbed of a win he probably deserved to have. And I think Webber getting the win is probably the biggest blow to him. Both drivers have been pushing so hard for Red Bull, and all the luck seems to go to Webber. Maybe its just a patience thing and Vettel needs to bide his time a bit more and learn consistency during a race. He has a right to be upset though.

Alonso: Nothing to say here really. Smooth drive. No controversy. Clearly faster than Massa today.

MSC: I see how his defensive move could have been bad. But Rubens clearly wasn't going to pull back, which I think made things worse. MSC did give plenty of room once Rubens was through, though probably partly out of fear of a wreck. I will say though, David Coulthard's commentary of MSC after that incident was a bunch of personal vendetta laced bias. DC clearly has an issue with MSC after their previous incidents and he needs to learn to let things go. Taking small jabs at MSC over the commentary is uncalled for. I'd almost rather take the Speed's interpretation instead than listen to his drivel.
      08-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #58
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Webber, Alonso, and Petrov all drove a great race. Webber was in the zone and just couldn't be matched today. He earned that win.

Vettel is beginning to wear on me. His tantrums if things don't go his way are getting old. And Schumacher was way out of line. It's one thing to defend your position, but to try and run Rubens into the pit wall is insane.
      08-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #59
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
oh damn!!!

Even the Ferrari 458 got a flexible front wing!!!!

(watching Top Gear now...)
      08-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #60
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Always hated schumacher since Adelaide 1994, Jerez 1997, and a few various other incidents..sorry he's not my cup of tea at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 06:23 AM   #61
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Agree with everything except for the comment about Alonso clearly being faster than Massa. With no place to pass there was really nothing he could do other than just hold onto his place after the first turn. Perfect example was Vettel. He was clearly the fastest car, but he had no room to get past Alonso so he settled for third.

Only real passing that was done was by the leaders over-taking the also-rans.

Now hopefully SPA will be a different story. My favorite track by far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post

Webber: Good pace, patience, and a bit of luck with Vettel's issues. No complaints on him from me today. Still not a big fan of his, but I respect the drive he put out there.

Hamilton: I couldn't be more disappointed by how it ended for him. And I don't see anything to blame save just poor luck. He was in such an inferior car, that 4th place finish would have been IMMENSE for his WDC standings until Mclaren gets things going again. Unfortunately, mechanical issues do happen and often at the worst of times. Hopefully, he can keep his optimism up. Seems to be one of his strengths as a driver, to always stay position. I expect great things to come once Mclaren get back into the pace of the Bulls and Horses.

Vettel: I feel Vettel was robbed of a win he probably deserved to have. And I think Webber getting the win is probably the biggest blow to him. Both drivers have been pushing so hard for Red Bull, and all the luck seems to go to Webber. Maybe its just a patience thing and Vettel needs to bide his time a bit more and learn consistency during a race. He has a right to be upset though.

Alonso: Nothing to say here really. Smooth drive. No controversy. Clearly faster than Massa today.

MSC: I see how his defensive move could have been bad. But Rubens clearly wasn't going to pull back, which I think made things worse. MSC did give plenty of room once Rubens was through, though probably partly out of fear of a wreck. I will say though, David Coulthard's commentary of MSC after that incident was a bunch of personal vendetta laced bias. DC clearly has an issue with MSC after their previous incidents and he needs to learn to let things go. Taking small jabs at MSC over the commentary is uncalled for. I'd almost rather take the Speed's interpretation instead than listen to his drivel.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #62
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Agree with everything except for the comment about Alonso clearly being faster than Massa. With no place to pass there was really nothing he could do other than just hold onto his place after the first turn. Perfect example was Vettel. He was clearly the fastest car, but he had no room to get past Alonso so he settled for third.

Only real passing that was done was by the leaders over-taking the also-rans.

Now hopefully SPA will be a different story. My favorite track by far!
I believe Massa just fell away from the front-runners by such a large margin. While Vettel couldn't pass, he was still hounding Alonso a good bit. I think he dropped down a bit in the last few laps to claim his recently obligatory 'quickest lap'. Massa could have just been feeling the delayed effects of his pit stop though. Since they weren't ready with his tires.

Still depresses me when I think about that, cause it reminds me that Hamilton didn't finish.
      08-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #63
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
oh damn!!!

Even the Ferrari 458 got a flexible front wing!!!!

(watching Top Gear now...)
Top gear was awesome. Funny that they touched on the previous weeks Ferrari shenanigans.
      08-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #64
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I was with you until this point.
You can defend but then you have to take a line.
That line shouldn't be a diagonal across the track to force someone off track.
If MSC wanted inside he should have closed the door before Rubens was along side.

A clear case of red mist on the part of MSC, IMO.
& While DC may have had a little bias showing, in general the comments were warranted.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #65
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
well...its just schumi being himself...ruthless to everyone else on the field....
he doesn't have the fastest car but still drove like back when Ferrari dominated the field....

how many times he had pushed other drivers off the track this season?
      08-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #66
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Top gear was awesome. Funny that they touched on the previous weeks Ferrari shenanigans.
haha, i enjoyed their take on the situation

Quote:
well...its just schumi being himself...ruthless to everyone else on the field....
he doesn't have the fastest car but still drove like back when Ferrari dominated the field....

how many times he had pushed other drivers off the track this season?
exactly, nothing new here but man, was pretty scary regardless
Appreciate 0