BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

03-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
M3ING AZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan

Alignment and suspension gurus I need your help!

Hello all,

I need your help dissecting my alignment spec sheet. The car is an 08 M3 sedan completely stock with 45k on her. I purchased stock sized pilot super sports a couple of weeks ago and decided to have an alignment done. Well low and behold it appears something is damaged on the front right. In a nutshell, I took it to a reputable mom and pop shop and asked them to align it to stock specs. They were unable to get the front right within spec on camber. They said there is nothing that can be adjusted to correct this. So I'm wondering what could possibly be bent or out of whack? The shop said I shouldn't drive it until the necessary repairs are made otherwise I risk chewing up my new tires. Please take a look and let me know your thoughts. The more I look at this spec sheet the more I'm thinking the car is way out of alignment. I'm no expert so all help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeremy

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  912.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 03:27 AM   #2
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Myself I would take it to BMW and get a second opinion. If something is bent on the right front they should be able to see it and show you.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

You are missing two important diagnostic angles on the printout. You need to get the complete alignment readings from modern equipment. They need to know up front that you are trying to diagnose a problem that will require the SAI and Included Angles.

I posted a great diagnostic article a while back by I-CAR the autobody repair certification organization:
I found a great alignment diagnosis article by I-CAR:
http://www.i-car.com/pdf/advantage/o...008/020508.pdf

This link to Hunter Engineering might help with your diagnosis:
http://www.hunter.com/videos/index.cfm?cat=2

Scroll down on the page under the title "Basic Alignment"
Watch the two videos titled:
Gross Alignment Errors
SAI-Included Angle

This maybe one of the threads that you reviewed:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926776

Last edited by kenwelch; 03-11-2014 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: I-CAR link correction
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
M3ING AZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the input guys.

I will start by getting another alignment with complete specs and go from there. I will repost the spec sheet once complete.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Myself I would take it to BMW and get a second opinion. If something is bent on the right front they should be able to see it and show you.
I know it is called the stealership but he 200 they charge for an alignment is well worth it. I have recommended the local dealers for it to many people and they all are very happy with the outcome. PLUS being able to plug in the obd port and align the car off the steering wheel angle is nice. No more croocked wheel after alignment.
      03-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

The pictures and measurements of the tire to strut difference is a great diagnostic start. On page two of the I-CAR article you will find there are several other measurements and checks that can be done to zero in on the actual cause of the difference in side to side measurement.

There are several possible causes as discussed in the article. You should be looking at the strut (tube and rod) and steering knuckle. There is a very slim chance that you have a wheel bearing that is ready to self destruct, but unlikely this bad.

The measurement picture on Page 2 also provides a way for you to visualize the parts involved in the difference measurement. Did you also do the measurements shown in the drawing with the tire & wheel off?

I also corrected the link for the I-CAR article today.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #7
M3ING AZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just wanted to update the thread since I got the car fixed. Basically had to replace the knuckle and strut. The alignment is spot on now!

Thanks for the input guys!!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #8
stlnyc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ING AZ View Post
Just wanted to update the thread since I got the car fixed. Basically had to replace the knuckle and strut. The alignment is spot on now!

Thanks for the input guys!!
M3ING AZ I know it's been a few years since you had this work done, but do you remember about how much you paid to have that strut and knuckle replaced?
Appreciate 0