BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #45
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
I am fine with that - but clearly I am making a few people's blood boil!

It's all good - some people just get a little too wound up sometimes is all
It is sometimes fun to be a contrarian in a land of "fanboys." I don't think GM is feeling too terribly embarrassed with their 4400 lbs. sedan, and I think the M3 is too porky.
      10-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #46
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post

I watched him race a Corvette in the SCCA World Challenge about 15 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post

But im sure if it was ur buddy in the M3 driving, he would have killed Heinricys time lol

I hate when people downplay some shit they have no idea about.
Actually, yes he would have - He actually raced against Heinricy in the SCCA World Challenge, and yes he was quicker.

So yes it would appear I know what I am talking about
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #47
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
It is sometimes fun to be a contrarian in a land of "fanboys." I don't think GM is feeling too terribly embarrassed with their 4400 lbs. sedan, and I think the M3 is too porky.

I am with you on that!!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #48
the///Mthree
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast

I am he, Its been a long day. I will post up about my experiences later or tomorrow

But I will say this right off the bat, anybody that thinks the m3 should beat any time the ctsv can do on that track doesnt know anything. I got to do 2 laps in the CTSV at the end of the day and was extremely impressed.

Updated with later post:

So here is my take on it guys:

I was hoping for rain all week because I figured Lutz would have some confidence issues in the rain. We got to the track and it was misting so got me going a little. I never expected to be able to beat Lutz in the ctsv, knowing the the ctsv was capable of. I haven't been on the track since july, but that didn't seem to effect me. In the first practice I didn't take that many laps, Maybe 5-6 hot laps. I was able to do this because I watched a lot of video before going to the track. I then just watched what braking points people like John Heinricy were using going into turn 1 because thats the only spot I seemed to have trouble. Then the challenge came around, On my out lap I just checked out where the wet spots were and then came the laps. My first hot lap was pretty good, but as I went through I knew a few spots that I could pickup time on the 2nd lap. I did just that picking up what I think was a full second on the 2nd hot lap, I would have liked to get a 3rd lap in but the brakes had checked out.

My impressions of the CTSV:

I got to drive the CTSV with two other people in the car, an added 300 lbs. I pulled out of the pits and was impressed by the power. Then coming out of turn 1 in 2nd gear I was really impressed by the power since in my car I had to use third and the M lacks in torque and overall grunt to be honest. I come up to a few turns after that and then go down the back straight and was VERY impressed by the brakes, they inspired a lot of confidence and as a driver thats what you want. Every second of the two laps I got in the car impressed me the brakes and the power mostly, the handling was right their with that of the M3. I would love to get some timed laps in the CTSV at Monticello Motor Club.

Meet the driver's video:

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #49
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Good to hear from you Michael. We look forward to hearing about your experience. You obviously did well.
      10-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #50
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

Michael, what was your time in the CTS-V for those two laps? Great to hear from you and good showmanship for the ///M3.
      10-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #51
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
+1001

Michael Cooper was beat by 3.864 seconds actually, not 5

Hows this for capable...

The CTS-V with the same driver, John Heinricy, lapped the nurburgring in 7:59!! Thats the same number the C6 vette put out and the Porsche 911 Carerra S

The best official nurburgring lap time for an M3 is 8:05

Nurburgring times mean fuck all as there is no standard rules or sanctioning to confirm that cars are indeed stock or on a stock tire.As a veteran of Showroom Stock racing in the 80's & 90's,without policing you never know what you will be racing against and the factory cars are usually the most creative when it comes to rule interpitation!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #52
STIto335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
Michael, what was your time in the CTS-V for those two laps? Great to hear from you and good showmanship for the ///M3.
their was no timing for those laps.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #53
the///Mthree
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
Yeah no timing on those laps, and I also had 2 people in the car so that couldnt have helped. Was also having a little fun
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #54
White Shark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Civic (Non-ZCP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post

Of the actual contests

1. BMW M3 sedan by Michael Cooper 2:50.424
2. CTS-V driven by Jack Baruth of "The Truth About Cars" 2:51.153
3. CTS-V driven by Lawrence Ulrich, a freelance journalist 2:53.157
4. CTS-V driven by Bob Lutz 2:56.321
5. BMW M5 3:05.398
6. Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR Touring 3:08.126
7. CTS-V 3:14.292
8. Jaguar XF Supercharged 3:15.670
9. Audi RS4 3:15.670
Kudos to Michael Cooper
      10-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #55
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shark View Post
Kudos to Michael Cooper
He was still a long way behind John Heinricy and a guest driver that was in the 45's.That is still a huge difference in times.Good for Micheal Cooper to be the quickest of the challengers but I feel the M3 should have finished better.

http://blogs.automobilemag.com/65860...ers/index.html
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 08:47 PM   #56
White Shark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Civic (Non-ZCP)

Youtube - Cadillac V-Series Challenge: Meet the Drivers

Last edited by White Shark; 10-29-2009 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #57
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Honestly I think this was a great marketing campaign for GM.. a huge success! Every forum on the NET is talking about it ... who cars who won... the fact is that the CTS-V can compete and this challenge put it on the map. Any publicity is good publicity... if you know what I mean.
      10-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #58
Moth
PMOTH
United_States
Rep
Drives: European

Glad to see you are here Michael. Awesome freekin job today.

As for anyone else claiming the CTS-V is a less than worthy adversary, that car is freekin awesome. One of my buddies has one and I was more than impressed with it. I'd never buy one over an M car or Audi RS car but it is an awesome performer none the less.

I'm happy that the point of this thread was addressed! Thanks again Michael.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #59
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

they should of put that driver in the m3!
      10-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #60
the///Mthree
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Put Cooper in the CTS-V and he would have been slower, not faster, just like Heinricy would have been faster around that track in the M3 I am sure.

It appears this Michael Cooper has a bit a driving history himself so I would have thought the gap would have been less.
I can say one thing for sure I got to drive the CTSV and the M3 is NOT the faster car on the track. I am hoping to get some timed laps in the CTSV on monticello in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #61
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

I knew the E90 M3 is a special car!!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #62
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Man, this is all over the internet--what a great win for BMW. That is awesome...
      10-30-2009, 12:43 AM   #63
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the///Mthree View Post
I can say one thing for sure I got to drive the CTSV and the M3 is NOT the faster car on the track. I am hoping to get some timed laps in the CTSV on monticello in the near future.
Comon now, let us revel in your win! You kicked ass, and we all love it! Go get some sleep!
      10-30-2009, 12:49 AM   #64
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
I don't think I'd be bragging about beating a 78 year-old, even if he was driving an Enzo. I don't care how "spry" you are at that age. Hand-eye coordination and reaction time deteriorate significantly and progressively with age.
he beat a few others too...

http://cadillac.gmblogs.com/wp-conte...ge-Results.jpg

EDIT: saw he posted here too...

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 12:52 AM   #65
the///Mthree
First Lieutenant
Rep

I was hoping for rain all week because I figured Lutz would have some confidence issues in the rain. We got to the track and it was misting so got me going a little. I never expected to be able to beat Lutz in the ctsv, knowing the the ctsv was capable of. I haven't been on the track since july, but that didn't seem to effect me. In the first practice I didn't take that many laps, Maybe 5-6 hot laps. I was able to do this because I watched a lot of video before going to the track. I then just watched what braking points people like John Heinricy were using going into turn 1 because thats the only spot I seemed to have trouble. Then the challenge came around, On my out lap I just checked out where the wet spots were and then came the laps. My first hot lap was pretty good, but as I went through I knew a few spots that I could pickup time on the 2nd lap. I did just that picking up what I think was a full second on the 2nd hot lap, I would have liked to get a 3rd lap in but the brakes had checked out.

I got to drive the CTSV with two other people in the car, an added 300 lbs. I pulled out of the pits and was impressed by the power. Then coming out of turn 1 in 2nd gear I was really impressed by the power since in my car I had to use third and the M lacks in torque and overall grunt to be honest. I come up to a few turns after that and then go down the back straight and was VERY impressed by the brakes, they inspired a lot of confidence and as a driver thats what you want. Every second of the two laps I got in the car impressed me the brakes and the power mostly, the handling was right their with that of the M3. I would love to get some timed laps in the CTSV at Monticello Motor Club
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 01:03 AM   #66
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the///Mthree View Post

I got to drive the CTSV with two other people in the car, an added 300 lbs. I pulled out of the pits and was impressed by the power. Then coming out of turn 1 in 2nd gear I was really impressed by the power since in my car I had to use third and the M lacks in torque and overall grunt to be honest. I come up to a few turns after that and then go down the back straight and was VERY impressed by the brakes, they inspired a lot of confidence and as a driver thats what you want. Every second of the two laps I got in the car impressed me the brakes and the power mostly, the handling was right their with that of the M3. I would love to get some timed laps in the CTSV at Monticello Motor Club
You did your research--that is clear. I also appreciate your modesty, show's class. But the bottom line is--your skill and technique combined with a very capable, well balanced car gave that CTS-V and it's professional driver all it could handle. That is impressive and you should pat yourself on the back! Welcome to your 15 minutes--sit back, relax, and enjoy it!