BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #67
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
The bottom side probably looks great. If you change one of these filters and study the intake box, you will see how debris collects on the top, but falls off on the sides and does not collect on the bottom. And as air filters go, the used stock one in the picture is not bad or clogged up enough to cost 15 hp.
You have not ever changed your filter clearly. Leaves and bigger debree collect on top as its a function of vacuum and gravity that they get sucked and settle on top. The dirt and smaller dust etc is directed from the road with almost a straight shot into the bottom of the intake. The top is getting air from the grilles and the hood vent at high speeds, relatively cleaner air than the road grime.

Bottom is 2 to 3 times dirtier than top every time I change it
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #68
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

hey I need a filter and been looking at various offerings from Dinan, MS, AA, etc.

Maybe a dumb question but since you can't see it why does the color matter? So no one runs open air elements anymore?

Is the Dinan setup include a different airbox of still just a drop in?

Would like to order one this week!

Will teaming this up with RPI scoops help?
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #69
rush
RUSH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP m4

Garage List
2016 bmw m4 zcp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Its not on the site. Its something I am personally doing for you guys.
in mtg, so I don't have a chance to call. PM me the best price you can gimme please

It's either yours or I'll order the K&N from amazon.
No discount for real fans 😃
      03-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #70
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
hey I need a filter and been looking at various offerings from Dinan, MS, AA, etc.

Maybe a dumb question but since you can't see it why does the color matter? So no one runs open air elements anymore?

Is the Dinan setup include a different airbox of still just a drop in?

Would like to order one this week!

Will teaming this up with RPI scoops help?
Color doesn't matter. The K&N filter is red because their filter oil is red. The filter oil is probably red because red is their color.

The scoops positively do (basically, see below) nothing. It is physically impossible for them to generate a "ram air" effect with this intake design. The only possible benefit would be less heat soak due to more air flow THROUGH (i.e. from the scoops, through the box, up and out of the hood vent) the box.

Any purported dyno "gains" are from "fudging" the numbers. The quoted "gains" are within the accepted variance of the dyno. Pick and choose the right runs and voila, gains. Do enough runs and average them all, I bet you'd see zero gains.
      03-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #71
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

I've never seen any objective data to suggest there was any measurable HP gain by using a K&N filter.

I have seen anectdotal evidence over ten years of owning a BMW of people gumming up their MAF sensor by over-oiling.

I have always used, and believe in, only genuine OEM filters for my cars.

YMMV of course. Just my 0.02.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #72
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
I've never seen any objective data to suggest there was any measurable HP gain by using a K&N filter.

I have seen anectdotal evidence over ten years of owning a BMW of people gumming up their MAF sensor by over-oiling.

I have always used, and believe in, only genuine OEM filters for my cars.

YMMV of course. Just my 0.02.
Our car doesn't have a MAF. My 350Z did. I ran a K&N filter for 5 years. One time, I oiled the filter so much that my car left a puddle on the ground, I thought it was leaking oil! My MAF was not affected and my 350Z made great power.
      03-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #73
coogs08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I just installed a K&N filter last night. Don't notice much except it is a little louder at higher revs.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #74
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogs08 View Post
I just installed a K&N filter last night. Don't notice much except it is a little louder at higher revs.
Your 2009 MY is in the category that will get the most benefits from changing the filter (by getting rid of that charcoal liner). However, 2-5hp is not something you will obviously notice from the seat of the pants. But all the small improvements combined together do eventually add up.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #75
coogs08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Your 2009 MY is in the category that will get the most benefits from changing the filter (by getting rid of that charcoal liner). However, 2-5hp is not something you will obviously notice from the seat of the pants. But all the small improvements combined together do eventually add up.
Yup, I have no doubt that it is performing better than the stock filter, but like you said, difficult to feel a 1% gain in power. I have ordered other bolt-ons (test pipes & pulleys) and can't wait to have them all come together along with a tune. Then I should definitely feel a difference!

Last edited by coogs08; 03-13-2013 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #76
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
We have the Macht Schnell filters in stock, we'll even take care of shipping for you.

Pm me price to 29611
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #77
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

I have a KN, its awesome, no vibrations. Sounds a bit better. The car felt slightly more responsive but then again I did have a dirty stock filter. I bought it when Advanced auto had a sale and it was 55 bucks.
Appreciate 0